Navy Railgun

Discussion in 'Military Equipment, Service and Technology' started by Scarecrow, May 7, 2008.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some advanced and pretty cool weaponry from the US Navy.

http://www.livescience.com/technology/080201-electromagnetic-record.html

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the tech side this is really an awesome achievement, and it will likely be used for space based systems.

On the other side, this kind of weaponry is more then a little scary. The range, the fact that it would be extremely difficult to detect, and the speed at which it hits means it can cause extensive damage.

3. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the railgun concept I find this cool...related to the tests posted, but contract is in..

Dec 23/08: Sauer, Incorporated in Jacksonville, FL wins an $8.3 million firm-fixed-price task order to design and build an Electromagnetic Launch RDT&E(Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation) facility at Naval Support Activity South Potomac in Dahlgren, VA (N62477-04-D-0036, #008).

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/EMALS-Electro-Magnetic-Launch-for-Carriers-05220/

~worm~

4. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only problem with the video in the op is that it's obviously either fake or misrepresented. Major problems with it:

1. Where is all of the ancillary machinery that would be associated with a machine such as this? The amount of electric power need to fire a projectile that large would be staggering, yet all I see there is a big gun barrel. No power lines. No generators. Nothing.

2. There should be no exhaust gasses coming out when it is fired. That's the whole point of a railgun, that you don't need to keep the propellant around and thus making the firing platform safer for the crew.

3. Speaking of the crew, look again at the guy that loaded the round and tell me that he's a member of the Armed Forces, or a professional defense contractor. Right......

So, while I'm sure this technology is under development. This is not it.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, well I guess we have our own Railgun expert here. You must have years of exp. in this field and vast knowledge of the subject. You are so sure of your comments, I look forward to reading something reputable to back up your assertions.

6. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely; experimental next-generation weapons should always be shown in their entirety, on Youtube if possible. Secrecy is overrated.

Google 'heat of compression' and 'diesel effect', and then get the spectroscopic analysis of whatever they guy wrapped the slug in before he loaded it before spouting off next time. There are hundreds of explanations available; pick one besides 'it's a coverup'.

Um, ever been to a shipyard? Those guys are all government contractors, usually members of the local dockworker's union, and often hippies, bikers, and other utterly non military-looking types. Working as a government contractor rarely requires you to meet military grooming standards.