Nationals Tentative Seating Chart

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Z010 Union, Nov 22, 2004.

1. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Maybe I'll go, we'll see

:rolleyes:

I think most of the rest of the world would disagree with you there. To each their own, but for the record, I dont think we're the ones who are 'wrong as hell' here.

Typical Sox fan :rolleyes: ;)

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution

Damn straight!

3. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be a season-ticket holder for United next year, once we have the seats thing figured out.

Can't do season tickets for 2 teams, but I will be at the Nationals' opener, as well as the enitre Cubs series in May - and the Giants series in September when Bonds is chasing 755.

And I'm sure, given the number of friends I have that work in DC who simply just love going to a baseball game (not for the sport, as much as just going, having a beer, sitting outside, etc.,) I'm sure there will be several others that I go to.

I also live 20-25 minutes from Oriole Park, and will go to plenty of games there, too. We tend to go to several games in Frederick and Bowie, as well. Their fireworks nights are worth a trip.

It'd be kind of cool to have season tickets for both United and the Nationals, and have them be the same seat. :D

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

[​IMG]

Shut the ************ up!!!!

;)

5. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, I agree that the city is getting screwed. If this were in VA, I'd let my reps know that it's not OK to spend public money to make private businesses rich. I don't see what's so hard about that, either.

If fact, it's interesting to me to see the resistance to the soccer stadium compared to the resistance to the baseball stadium considering that one is publically financed, and the other is (likely to be) privately financed.

I think the city should help with sports teams in the areas where it's required (infrastructure) but not with capital improvements for the private business itself. Just like any other business in the city. Of course, Baseball wouldn't have come here, then, but so what? I just don't like to be sueezed, and that's what MLB's doing to DC.

But I might go to a game. Maybe. Glad I don't have to bail out the stadium when they have revenue shortfalls in a few years for the interest on the bonds.

(BTW, isn't Camden Yards gov't built, too? How did they do financially?)

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize this sucks, but as an ex Fusion, now DCU fan, count your blessings......!!

7. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

I think you hit enter before typing "of my mind" ;)

8. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    no way in hell I'm going to the opener. You know it's going to be an absolute mess getting into and out of the place unless you take the metro. (and Metro from Northern VA for me isn't exactly convenient)

I'll make it to a couple games for sure, but you couldn't pay me to go to the opener. I'll wait til the crowds die down. Or if they don't, at least til they get re-acclimated to them at RFK.

9. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Tell that to Bill Buckner.

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

It was a lot funnier before this year.

:(

11. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Yep. Now it's just pathetic.

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution

Well now he can at least sleep easy at night. Who knows, Johnny Pesky is an icon around here. Give'm a little time. Maybe he'll eventually go from one bad run in away from being murdered to beloved old timer.

But on topic. The Nationals will be interesting. In the battle ground of professional sports DC and the Nationals will be face to face. On one hand you have the model franchise of one league, albiet in a very small league. On the other hand you have a franchise that's trying to undergo a rebirth in a very touchy and competitive environment. Imagine if United starts outdrawing the Nationals if they recieve Expos-like support... what a symbolic gain that will be.

13. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I would argue that the Nationals are mere cannon fodder, 3 games a toss, to the home teams of the quadrennial vagrants who populate a lot of DC.

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Nah, sorry pal. Outside of Beantown and NYC, baseball really isn't that hot anymore.

15. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    To answer Mike's earlier question, I won't go to the opener but I'll definitely go to some Nats games.

16. ryano

ryano Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Huntsville, AL

Ed-die! Ed-die! Ed-die!

One of greatest of all time. Great guy, too! For all you who don't know, this is the guy that Cal Ripken modeled his career after.

As for the Nats, I love the name. Now, they just need the National Bohemian sign in the outfield. Right next to DCUs championship banners.

I reserve judgment on the field arrangement DCU games until I see how they plan on putting in the temporary seats and the grass trays. But I'll tell you this, I'll be super, f-ing p!ssed if they screw this up for DCU. So, knowing the DCSEC, I'll be super, f-ing p!ssed.

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    1971 & 1979

[​IMG]

:D

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever I see Willie Stargell, I get "We are family" stuck in my head, and the burned in image of those yellow unis.

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Shouldn't you guys be on BigBaseball.com? :rolleyes: ;)

20. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go to a few games. My youngest son has found his sport and that happens to be baseball.

21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Watch it Natty, there are two of us around here ;) . I'm not going because as a Sox fan national league games are boring. Besides it is more fun to go to Camden Yards and take over their stadium. Also as I have said before I just don't think the Nationals will succeed. I only watch Sox games anyways.

22. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I don't know. Just think of how the accoustics of RFK will amplify the crowd chants of 'Go Nats, Go Nats'.

Really...think about it:D

23. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be worse - they could have named it Real DC.

24. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love United, but to expect much deference from baseball is extremely unrealistic. I can't figure out what there is to be angry about. The fact that we've said "we don't want to play over dirt" and their answer wasn't "tough" shows a respect that wouldn't likely be forthcoming in other markets.

In less than one week, they have taken over 13,000 $300 deposits for season tickets to an 81-game schedule that range from $567 to $7,290.

If United announced its survival was predicated on raising 13,000 X $300 between now and next April, there very likely would be no DC United. They collected it in a week without paying a cent of advertising.
    Although, ironically, three countries who have hosted two of the last three World Cups (US, Korea, Japan), all attend baseball in much greater numbers than they do soccer.

Some other thoughts in response to Natty and others...

We don't have a schedule yet to rearrange.

Asthetically brutal? Try being a Dallas fan playing in that high school stadium. Try being a New England fan, where your view of the game each week has the backdrop of a completely empty stadium (did you know that one sideline is closed during Revs games?). Try being a KC or Metros fan where you play in 70-80,000 seaters such that even your big crowds seem like a drop in the bucket. Will this make our gameday experience marginally worse for a couple of years? Yeah. But, damn, it should just make us recognize how lucky we've been. Every other market the size of DC in the country has a baseball team. If we were anywhere else, we'd have been sharing either with them or with the Redskins for the last nine years.

Their cheap tickets will be cheaper (at $7, less than half of our cheapest $16 ticket), so they're actually more family friendly.

The studies that "have shown" things usually say that people would still spend their entertainment dollar elsewhere in the area, meaning little new taxes, etc. However, in this case, the bulk of that money would otherwise be spent in Maryland and Virginia, not the District, clearly making this area different than places where the money would all be spent in the same state with or without the stadium. Since people who work in the District but live in MD or VA can't be subject to a commuter tax, I don't mind if they spend some more money here.

I'm thankful that Abe Pollin paid as much of his own money as he did for MCI Center, but even if it was fully publically financed, the good it's done in Chinatown, Penn Quarter, and beyond would have been well worth it, in my opinion.

25. nedigital

nedigital Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Mass
    I don't think it's necessary to bash baseball. I'm a fan of baseball among most other sports including soccer, and I think they can co-exist.

Hating baseball doesn't mean you love soccer even more, so why bother. Soccer and baseball fans are not mutually exclusive.

If you're bitter towards baseball fans for not supporting soccer, or envious that DC is bending over backwards for baseball, you need a reality check. I sincerely hope that one day soccer is on equal footing with the other major sports in this country but it'll take time so why be bitter now?

As a previous poster said, the RFK atmosphere is 10x better than what we have here in New England, dirt infield or none.