Nationals Game: Where were all the TFC Fans?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Pompey.ca, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a brief recap on Fox Soccer Channel in the US. The announcer said that fans were wearing black t-shirts to protest "something that has nothing to do with the national team." I don't know what he meant by that... can someone shed some light on that? My take from reading all this is that a lot of people think the CSA are a bunch of bufoons and aren't doing a very good job of running the NT program, and that's what the protest was about. If so, then it has everything to do with the NT--not the players, but the organization.

Anyway, great goal by DeRo. I live in the US, and I would like nothing more than to see Canada raise its game to the point where you guys regularly beat up on the Central Americans and Caribbeans, and give the US and Mexico a run for their money and have a serious go at qualifying.

2. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. TorontoFC1976

TorontoFC1976 Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Toronto
    I agree that it was sad to see the stands half empty.
    I would have love to be in the game, the team played great. This team is probably the best soccer team canada has produced.
    One fact that Idid not see mentioned is that wednesday, game day, was a Fifa date, which means most national teams around the world played a friendly, or in the case of Europe, a Euro qualifier. I bet a lot of fans opted to see their home land team on TV (it's amzing the number of games you can see on cable now!!!) over going down town after work to see a friendly. Now, if most fans realise the kind of soccer Canada is playing the attendance will change.

The next point is sad but true. A lot of so called "hard core" soccer fans have not paid attention to TFC and much less the Canadian team. North American soccer in general has a lot to proof. And i think it's unfare because the level played in MLS is much better than many other leagues around the world. Some people tend to compare the MLS with the leagues in England, Spain, Italy, etc.... but is never compared to most leagues... how about the asian leagues... MLS is better than half of the south-american leagues...... MLS level is approaching the leveled played in Mexico. In a few years, if things keep going well it will be comparable to the leagues of Brazil and Argentina.... I know a lot of people disagrees, but that is the way I see it. A lot of times I try to start a conversation with some of my "soccer fanatic" friends about TFC or Canada and they just look at me as if I was nuts. Or I get a responce like: "I don't follow that league".......WTF!!!:mad:

In my opinion, what has to happen is, instead of putting an all star team playing some big team from europe. There should be a bunch of friendly games against teams from Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Greece, Poland, Ukrain, China, Korea... You name it... But not the top leagues in the world nor the worst either. Then MLS teams would kick some ass and presto, world respect... now you got the attention of every soccer fan.
    I can't take the all star game seriously is a team put together for one game only.
    I can't take seriously a game against Aston Villa or Benfica. Is like having a fight between Mike Tyson and Oscar De La Hoya. It just can't be taken seriously.
    But I can take very seriously a game Between New England and Pachuca from Mexico, because is more evenly match. Get my drift?

I took off on a tangent.... The point I was trying to make is: It is sad that soccer in Canada is not taken more seriously. But I'll do my part. I'll go to see a game every chance I get and I know I will enjoy it.

Cheers.

PS... The display by Costa Rica was shamefull. If I was from Costa Rica I would scream bloody murder.... out with the coach and the guy that.... "took the elbow to the face and then got whiplashed by super villan Serioux!!!! Look at the coach!! He fears for his players health! would he be able to walk??!!! his head snapped back, it almost came off the neck!!!! He might die!!!! Look he is taking his leather jacket off and he is... he is almost in tears!!! he is in tears!!!! he can't bear the sight of his player on the ground, suffering that horrible fate.... I'll get that villan! I'll take revenge for youuuu!!!! , screams the coach in tears ".

4. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    The CR coach had nice bling. I wonder what disco he to after the game.:D

Canada is going to the world cup!

5. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nope. The seats were in section 110, row 20; my usual season tickets. Only this time I added 2 more. With taxes and service charges they came out to approximately $38 each.

6. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think the thread starters point is that Toronto FC fans were given first chance to purchase their season ticket seat for this game and only 1/3 chose to do so.

7. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, you've pretty much got it.

IMO CSA's second biggest problem is that they don't know how to run a national team program. Their biggest problem - and the one that scares me - is that they don't know that they don't know how to run a national team program.

8. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm Canadian born and raised, my ancestors came from Germany in 1753... but I still support Germany over Canada when it comes to football. does that make me a traitor or un-Canadian?

that being said: Did any Costa Ricans get tasered? that would have been fun, I'm all for tasering foreigners :p

9. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    Jadger - by my definition and belief if Canada is playing Germany and you show up wearing your Germany kit and cheering Germany than you are a tourist. If that is the case enjoy your vacation in Canada.

Sorry, but that is the way I feel.

Canada first - Canadian First.

10. Camcamy

Camcamy New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Toronto
    Where were these real fans in November when there were plenty of tickets available?

11. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    For the first time this season, I was late getting to the game (who knew every south-north street heading towards BMO Field would be under construction? :mad: ) Because I was late, I witnessed scalpers with stacks of tickets in their hands that they couldn't move. I think the word schadenfreude comes to mind.

But I agree with your point in general. The tickets were available for months. So I don't buy the access argument. If you're late for something, its not everyone elses fault. If you couldn't afford the $200+ payment, you could have always split the tickets with a few friends.

Sorry, I don't know why I love going off topic so much.

12. Citizen Ted

Citizen Ted Member

May 17, 2007
    Toronto
    Of course it does! You and your entire brood should be tasered, rounded up and kept in a pen with any other closet naz- I mean nutsies. :D Seriously bub, I don't think most people give a flying fart who you support in football. But I for one would be genuinely interested to hear your reasons for favouring Germany over Canada -- I mean apart from the fact that they're a better team. (If you choose not to give them, that's ok, too. I'll just blame it on the CSA.

13. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In a word, yes. As for tasering Costa Ricans, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Oh I get it; the Chilean incident. That was in poor taste.

14. seaner1975

seaner1975 New Member

Jun 29, 2007

I agree with you %100. That has always been a pet peeve of mine. It drives me frikin crazy when I see a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th generation Canadians cheer for the country of their parents over their own birth country. I have no time for people like that. I am sure I am going to get blasted but if you like your parents country so much you should go live there. Show some respect for current country. Just because our country isn't as advanced in Soccer as that of another nation doesn't mean it is any less worthy of support.

Toronto in my opinion is always going to have this problem. I hate to say it but I hope that there are more MNL games played out West where the diversity isn't so much. At least this way we can be sure it will be a home advantage. (unlike Canada vs. Chille U20).

15. PureTFC

PureTFC New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Burlington
    This is one season ticket holder who never recieved and email even about this game until it was too late to get my seats. There is definitely something lacking in all aspects of promoting/marketing the CMNT especially when some of our own TFC boys can actually make it for a start.

Other than that, TFC is not the CMNT so expecting all the season ticket holders to show up is foolish and silly.

16. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto

My sentiments exactly.

It was embarassing to Canada.

17. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    first, do not equate German with Nazi, it is not the same thing, many of the concentration camp guards were actually Poles or East Europeans, just look up the Dirlewanger Brigade. Also I clearly stated my ancestors came over in 1753, a full 180+ years before the birth of nazism. As for why I choose Germany over Canada, not gonna lie, success does help out my choice, but then I ask myself why I support German hockey? it's because there is no such thing as a Canadian "nation". I am German-Canadian, I am a Canadian citizen, but a card does not determine who I am, genetics and history does.

18. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Seriously - the stadium sells out for U-20 (including Canada's games) and TFC. Why doesn't it sellout for a CMNT friendly?

Some possibiliites:
    • European fans were watching Euro qualifying on TV. Well most of these games were long over by the time the Canada kicked off - and I've yet to hear from posters in any real amounts here who skipped for this reason.
    • People didn't know there was a game - based on the limited marketing which consisted of an email to TFC season ticket holders and very limited buzz before the game and most if not all the buzz was for the CSA protest not the game itself.
    • Ticket prices were too high - the seats were more expensive in every price range than the TFC games. This was my main reason for not going and seems to be fairly common gripe on these boards.
    Who knows if we'll see another game here soon - but I think since they built the stadium we will get a fair number of WCQ games - I just hope that some effort goes to filling up the stadium and not just expecting fans to show up because there is a game on.

19. TFCguy

TFCguy New Member

May 18, 2007
    same here...no communication, nothing. by the time I knew the game was being played, it was too late to do anything. :(

20. TFC07

TFC07 Member

May 19, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I didn't go to the game because I had class (night school). But if I didn't have class, then I would've bought a ticket ($14 ticket) to watch Canada play.

And yes, the tickets were too expensive. They were charging these tickets like if Canada was playing against Brazil.

P.S. F*** CSA :mad:

21. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not realize that Germany existed in 1753. Here are some of my choices had I been asked to identify that area that is now known as Germany around that time

1) Holy Roman Empire - 843 - 1806
    2) 1701 - Kingdom of Prussia
    3) Electors Palatinate - 1356 - 1777
    4) Swabia - 1499 - 1803

The unification of Germany did not take place until 1871 about 4 years after this great nation. I suppose many less fortunate people tend to embrace their old countries and cultures long after they should. I am 2nd generation English and while I love London as a city, fish and chips and British racing green and are of a people where at one time the sun did not set on their empire I am Canadian and of the Canadian nation, a nation that among other things is 2 and 0 in world wars and 4 - 0 in regional conflicts. Germany is importing people because they are short so when are you leaving?

By the way I think it revolting that you would try and deflect blame for the death camps. Enuff said

22. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    Jadger wrote - "I'm Canadian born and raised, my ancestors came from Germany in 1753... but I still support Germany over Canada when it comes to football. does that make me a traitor or un-Canadian?"

and later wrote "it's because there is no such thing as a Canadian "nation"."

and later wrote" "I am German-Canadian, I am a Canadian citizen, but a card does not determine who I am, genetics and history does."

Duh, what do you think! You don't sound very Canadian to me.

23. Camcamy

Camcamy New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Toronto
    If I didnt come on here, I probably wouldn't know there was a game.

24. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Here's a thought. Why a 7 pm start? Leafs games don't start until 7:30 on weeknights, and the game certainly last longer than 9:30 pm! An extra 30 to 60 minutes would make it easier for those from outside Toronto of having a hope of getting there.

Though lack of promotion, ticket prices, etc., seems to be the major reason.

25. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I see more black shirts in the future.

Hmm - I wonder if the time honoured tradition of a petitiion is in order at the next CMNT game at BMO, or possibly some anti-CSA chants are in order.

Man it sucks to be a fan of Canadian soccer some times. :(