National Team of CUBA [R]

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by MIGkiller, May 12, 2003.

1. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's the only difference between the US and those other central-american nations. The US is such a large and wealthy country, that even its small football community can invest and develop a successfull program, while those other countries cannot afford it.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Are you kidding... football is the most popular sport here. Soccer is making inroads though.

Sachin

3. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts

Nice to see that anthropology degree paying off. Let me know what school you went to so I'm sure not to send my kids there. :)

I think Fidel didn't like soccer because his hat would fall off when he tried to head the ball.

4. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    As a historical footnote, the first warnings of the Cuban missile crisis came when U2 photos showed a soccer field being build at a military base. The US interpreted that to mean there were going to be Soviet troops there soon.

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Did Cuba stop building soccer field because they did not want another missile crisis? :)

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sport Culture

I can assure you that baseball in Cuba is FAR from boring! The culture that surrounds the sport is every bit as vibrant as with soccer elsewhere in the world - certainly you don't see stands as (un)populated for club baseball games in Cuba as you do for, say, club soccer games in Brazil.

If FSW covers the Caribbean (baseball) World Series again this year, it is worth watching to see the atmosphere.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Cuba's Results Look Very "Decent"

Dave, I've tried to track this one down a couple of times, and even asked a Cuban diplomat about it when we attended a mutual meeting in April. He had no idea. I imagine that the consulate would respond if I took the time to ask them what happened, or point me to the right person to ask. Might make for a good Soccer & Society article.

8. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Re: Sport Culture

I remember when the Cuban team played those exhibitions with Orioles a few years back. They play much faster, without all the endless timeouts and butt-scratching, and I seem to remember that the umps (Cubans for both games, the MLB umps wouldn't participate) refused to give timeout a couple of times to Orioles hitters, which I'm guessing is the norm down there.
    The players are also much more demonstrative in their emotions...which is also a no-no in MLB, and liable to bring a beanball your way the next time up at bat.

9. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Cuba's Results Look Very "Decent"

They planned to send their entire team to a fourth-division German club (Bonner SC) but it didn't quite pan out because of the extensive international commitments of the Cuban team. Instead they went over to train with the Germans for about a month and played a bunch of friendlies.

Bonner does currently feature a Cuban national team player, Vladimir Alejo, who is apparently married to a German (probably met during the training stint)...not sure if he's playing there with the blessing of the Cubans or if it's an Eduardo Sebrango type of situation.

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 cuban international players play on my friends Gold Coast team. Their forward, midfielder, and the goalie. They are all very good and i think could make an MLS roster if given the opportunity.

11. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Re: Sport Culture

Cuba doesn't participate in the Caribean Series.

12. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Wow, you don't give MLS much respect at all, do you?

Have you ever seen some of the top A League players play? There are some extremely talented players in the US wanting to play in MLS who can't do it because they can't make the cut. But three players on whatever a "Gold Coast" team is could make it? Hmm.

Seems a bit like saying that three players on my flag football team could make the NFL.

13. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    Ten-fifteen years ago I read that the Cubans had decided to begin to emphasize soccer more, in order to have an alternative to the gringo Yankee imperialist game. I'm not sure how effective that has been. I do remember hearing about some top Cuban player going to play in Spain. Don't know how well he did. I do know that, like other Cuban athletes competing internationally, the Cuban government kept the bulk of his salary.

I spent some time in Havana twelve years ago and caught a couple of baseball games at the Estadio Latinoamericana. It was a lot of fun, and the tickets were free. It was good baseball, but I was a little disappointed to see a lot of poor fundamentals and sloppy play on the field; the play was much looser than I had expected. The only thing they sold at the ballpark were shots of Cuban coffer, except for one vendor who had a big bag of sandwiches or rolls or something. He was mobbed. People were walking away with four or five of these breadrolls in their hands. Why? Because it was one of the few food items that were available without a ration card, like the ice cream that you spent 45 minutes waiting in line for. I saw girls holding two ice cream cones at one time, both sticky and melting in the heat.

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Sport Culture

Regardless, the comment about countries such as the Dominican Republic and Panama playing the "boring" game of baseball instead of soccer prompts the comment on the Caribbean World Series.

15. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    these are 3 players who currently play for Cuba's national team, I am not talking about three random schmucks. and i have seen enough mls to know that the players as a whole don't deserve that much respect.

16. JuanArango82

JuanArango82 New Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Guatire, Venezuela
    Why doesn't Cuba have a decent team?

Well Cuba and the U.S have several sports that they prefer over soccer. Still the U.S is better than a hundred or more countries where soccer is the #1 sport.
    While Cuba and Venezuela are a better than a good amount of them.

Note: Venezuela defeated Cuba yesterday 3-2 sub 23

17. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    First, "beisbol" could never be boring in Cuba. It's as much a party as any footy match involving Brasil. Interestingly enough, I don't remember that festiveness at football matches in Cuba. I do have the scars from playing on the streets, though. The notion that football is as a foreign sport in Cuba as rugby is in the States is just wrong.
    In order of popularity, sports in Cuba are baseball, baseball, more baseball, boxing, dominoes, basketball and football.

18. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    Baseball is boring anywhere except the bleachers in wrigley. There only the actual game is boring. When Cuba played US they reminded me of the US SIde in qualifying for the 90 wc. Fidel not likit soccer like baseball but hes pals with Maradona. I think cuba will get better after the old school commy goes to the great politburo in the sky,

19. Postmaster

Postmaster Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Poolesville, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I wonder how many of the Cubans will defect when they are here for the Gold Cup.

21. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    CUBA just beat jamaica 2-1 in kingston yesterday
    CUBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Probably the same number as last time. It's an old story. :rolleyes:

23. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    any questions?

24. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Yes.

How many goals will Costa Rica lose by? :D

This Cuba team will be hungry to win; finishing first in Group D will be a nice feather in Cuba's cap, and their chances of reaching the semi-finals (they would match up against either El Salvador or Martinique) would be almost assured.

25. norfcath

norfcath New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Why doesn't Cuba have a decent team?

Cuba has an outstanding starting eleven; however, they're all at sea just now, trying to reach the Florida coast.