National Soccer Supporters Union

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by bright, Dec 19, 2005.

1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rocket, this is a great idea. It doesn't help fans without an MLS team very much, though. I was thinking of something broader that isn't league-specific. Would non-MLS groups be welcome at something like this?

Cadaver, you are right that there needs to be substance. I am trying to avoid creating an agenda because who am I to speak for everyone. The substance of the group would be that it represents fan interests. Those interests would need to be determined, either on a long-term basis or on an ad hoc basis. The main benefit of a group like this is that there is fan representation.

cosmojado, I agree that money can be a powerful tool. But it isn't so effective if applied in a scattershot fashion. Also, it is not the only tool that can affect change.

ojsgillt, yes, many opinions are available on BigSoccer. But the noise is so heavy that outside organizations will just hear what they want to hear. BigSoccer does not provide the leverage that a unified voice can. BigSoccer also does not provide transparent information and a platform for reasonable discussion that is necessary for establishing an agenda. BigSoccer sways with the wind.

chapulin, I am not plugged in like so many others are. There is already a basis for what I am talking about, starting with supporters groups and fan advocacy groups like SSV and HASF. This thread is a call. I guess I could build a website for this, but I would still be posting this thread. It isn't like there is a lot of information that needs to be provided to get something like this started, and I wouldn't be the one to provide it anyways. What is needed are some initial logistics in getting people to sit down with each other. Maybe this can take place at the next Supporters Summit. Is there an equivalent that happens before the season? Like at the SuperDraft?

Bonji, I agree. This can start small, and frankly it is already beginning. Fans are becoming attached to and comfortable with having soccer in the US, and the dedicated fanbase is growing. An advocacy group is a natural progression.

Flying Ryan, just wanted to acknowledge that you brought this up earlier this summer. :)

- Paul

2. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well. You started the ball rolling here, so that's a major step.

Do this. During the week or weekend, write a mission statement for what you what you're proposing. Doesn't have to be big.

For example, office of the human rights commission in the UN:

I do think there are enough soccer supporters to do what you are proposing. Heck. Some of us are paying BS to post in these boards.

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think something like this would be a great for cities in line to get an expansion team.

For instance, if we had this setup for the 2006 MLS Cup, Toronto could send a delegate or two to gather info that would help them get their supporter's group started on the right track.

4. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Paul:

BTW...here is the logo you can use for the group:

[​IMG]

:D

or this one...but with a soccer ball at the top:

[​IMG]

5. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DC supporters club leaders all know each other and speak to each other on a regular basis. For the SEs we've had some contact with other groups either because we've travelled or groups have come to DC or we've seen people home or on the road for US games. We have had visiting supporters at our tailgates (as long as people on both sides use common sense it's fine).

The annual supporters summit is a good idea in theory but quite frankly I've not found the few I've attended to be informative (more like bitch sessions over how everyone's FO doesn't love them, oh boo hoo :rolleyes: ). I've also had people come up to my face and tell me that how we do something is completely stupid (I didn't say their way was wrong, I just told what the SEs do), so that kind of takes the wind out of my spirit of cooperation. What would make the summits better would be if those running them would contact the other club leaders about what issues people want to talk about and find some common ground (thus getting away from the bitch session).

As far as putting together an umbrella group for the clubs, yeah, for what purpose? If the group could get all the affiliated member clubs discounts on travel on certain airlines, hotels, etc. that would be cool. Maybe we could work with MLS to ensure "supporters sections rights" were uniform across the league. For this to to fly however you'd need to work with the club leaders.

If you just want to have some "union" of individual MLS supporters then come up with your mission statement and a membership fee and see who signs on.

K

6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think umbrella group is a great idea and I'd like to nominate myself as a treasurer

please send $25 membership dues via paypall to barrabravatifofund@hotmail.com :D

7. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Will you need my SS#? :D

8. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    no, but credit card number could be handy :D

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    And the date of birth. I already have your SSN, thanks to my connections at the NSA.

Sachin

10. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ha!