National flags

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by BorrachoNJ, Nov 16, 2004.

1. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    I didn't know where else to post this but...
    high school soccer in New Jersey has gotten very exciting lately, and with the addition of Latin American and European influence from our immigrant brothers and sisters, it's never been better.
    But on Sunday, during a state match to determine a group championship, a little town by the name of Bound Brook, N.J. celebrated their first trophy in school history. But those celebrations were criticized by a majority b/c a lot of kids (KIDS!) on the team are from Costa Rica...they went to the middle of the field, whipped out their CR flags and national team jerseys, celebrating, along with a good number of fans that accompanied them...
    But everyone it seemed like was totally against this b/c of a lack of respect first for the US flag, then for the opposing team they just beat (on their home field no less) and just being plain over-exuberant...
    I think it's bullshyte...
    I am a decent citizen here, pay my fucqing taxes and work...and I'm proud that these little fucqers won their title and were able to celebrate the way they did...their national team from CR play a crucial game tomorrow against Honduras for World Cup qualifying...and they're fucqing kids for chrissake!
    These old fucqing bags, these pro-American everything and stupid school administrators are overreacting...
    Just thought I'd tap into a small story that's got the local press involved here...and all for the sake of the world's most beautiful sport...FOOTBALL, FUTBOL, SOCCER
    leave the fucqing kids alone!
    thanks for your time, ya drunks

2. BarcaFan

BarcaFan Member

Nov 14, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah leave the kids alone!

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Many New England hockey players have the Irish Shamrock on their helmets. Many American people see nothing wrong with it. I have a feeling that if the players were Irish and they displayed the Irish flag, things will be different.

4. catracha

catracha New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    puerto cortes
    I am honduran and even though my costa rican friends and i are competing i feel for em cuz were all latinos flags only symbolize national pride not hatred so the american flag hasnt been insulted. i love america adn honduras and costa rica so whatever mfers.

5. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    fully agree with you!

i dont see why to makle a big deal out of this?!
    in germany we have clubs like turkyemspor (only turks) or hellas (only greeks), or croatia (well, gues...) in every bigger city...
    i think its kinda sad if they dont wanna play with germans together, but on teh other hand i can udnerstand it. If you are in a different country it feels good to spend tinme with people who feel the same way as you do...

greetz, doc

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    To have their NT strips, their flag and then to go in their own group to celebrate is taking things too far. It is disrespectful to the rest of the team, the fans, the opponents and the country.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Repped. Excellent post.

I'm not certain about the Irish flag, but your bigger point is absolutely on the money, IMO. I have no proof- just an opinion that comes from noticing the anglocentrism of a reasonable number of American soccer fans both on BigSoccer and in the real world. The venom from my countrymen directed at other nations (especially in WR) would be a lot more acceptable if it were spread around evenly. It isn't.

8. Gustav

Gustav Member

Nov 14, 2004
    here & there
    You go and tell that to Chivas USA haters! Is it the name?