Nathan Hale's vs. Nevada Smiths

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by stinky, Sep 6, 2002.

1. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    question to anyone who went to nathan hales....and in light of the fact that the giants were playing....

did they show the metro game?
    did they show it on the big tv?
    did they have the volume on?

i went to nevadas, they made it sound like they were doing me a favor for putting the game on 1 tv....when the giants game started....it was on most of the tv including the big screen...and the sound was on for the giants game through their stereo....

i don't blame them because thats what 95% of the people were there for....but for a soccer bar with nothing but soccer stuff on the walls, i was a bit surprised...if man u were playing, i'm sure they would've given to craps about the giant's fans....

just venting.....learned my lesson...next time...nathan hales (which is where i go 95% of the time)

2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    If Man U was playing 200 Man U fans wouldve showed up. So yeah they wouldve shown the game.

I cant beleive that people are complaining about this(not you stinkster). I mean NH, Nevadas are all soccer bars but they arent going to open their doors and hope MetroFans show up. Its not like we pack their pubs and bars EVERY away game, if we did they will be more willing to take a risk for us. They are running a bar not a charity. The ESC didn't even make an attempt(rightfully so) to put something together so NH, NEVADAS, et all had no reason to believe anyone was going to show up. So they did the next best thing and put on the hottest game of the evening on the tube.

THey need to make money you know....

3. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    serg...i agree with you ...

but to go to that bar (a known soccer bar) it surprised me a little that the response wasn't "yes, we're definitely going to have the game on" ....

i know hales would put it on without question even if only 3 or 4 of us showed up.....

4. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Re: Re: Nathan Hale's vs. Nevada Smiths

Pardon my ignorance, but why was it 'rightfully so'? Ill be the first to admit that I dont know much about how a supporter club should work (yet, anyway), but I would think they'd try and organize to watch every away game, no?

5. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Re: Re: Re: Nathan Hale's vs. Nevada Smiths

Rightfully so, because it boils down to the same couple of people doing the legwork to set something up for only a handful of people to attend, as is ALWAYS the case for midweek matches. Ron and Carl regularly discuss what matches are coming, and whether it makes sense to open up...if you've got a crew of friends that want to see a match, speak up. They've only got past trend to go by.

Shabs, since you seem to be interested enough to inquire, why don't you PM me, or "Ron Ferguson", or "Michael K", or "Metrocorazon", or grab any ESC guy before the DC match Thursday and you can learn how you can help organize this stuff? The more people involved in organizing, the more likely every away match would be shown and well attended.

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: Nathan Hale's vs. Nevada Smiths

Because no one ever shows up for away games. Most people decide to stay home or dont bother stopping by after work. Only time NH is ever packed for Metro is on special events like ESC membership drive, weekday away derby games, or playoffs. Other than that, 5 people show up. The ESC has already tried numerous times to try and gather everyone together with only a handful of people showing up.

It doesnt make sense to waste a businessman's time to have 8 people there watching the game.

I would love to have that place packed for every away game and so would Nathan Hale's. But the reality is that the demand for it is not there.

Im not pointing any fingers here I am as guilty as everyone else of not going down to NH. But Im also not complaining about Carl trying to feed his family by bringing other customers in.

Like Footix said, if anyone feels like helping to make sure theres people at NH at all away games and promote the viewings you are more than welcomed to helpout.

7. Ron Ferguson

Ron Ferguson New Member

Dec 12, 1998
    Look for an announcement soon on the viewing at Nathan Hale's for DC away on the 14th. Rock that place like it was U.S. v Portugal at 5:00am all over again... then people get the bug, then people will want to turn out in force for every away match, then these types of but what the hell happened? threads are a thing of the past...