NASL in Oakland, CA

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by futgod, Apr 4, 2017.

1. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that but did being optimistic help Rayo OKC or FTL? When FTL was drawing flies did you honestly think they'd survive? Be honest now, you probably thought they'd fold and they did but that was being realistic and not pessimistic.

2. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Just curious. How "successfull" is SFCFC? They play at Nogoesco correct? What's their attendance like? Could a PDL team really rival or even beat a professional team out of a market?

You have stated that minor league soccer won't survive in SF. If that's so, how is SFCFC a better option than the Deltas?

These are actual questions I really don't know much about SFCFC. I know their old GM when I played for them right before they went PDL, so I do wish them to succeed.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    SFCFC has done enough to survive at a low level, and very slowly expand their niche. So they've been able to survive as a niche team. They've also, it appears, been able to nearly monopolize the SF grassroots soccer energy (which is a major problem for the Deltas). That sort of niche soccer clearly can survive in SF, as SFCFC has proven.

The problem the Deltas face is that they need to be more than a niche team. They need to have a real presence in the city, and draw substantial numbers. SFCFC can survive on a small number fans. The Deltas cannot. The Deltas are caught in a kind of ditch between niche and D-I.

Maybe a D-I team in SF could survive, and clearly a niche team can survive. But that middle ground that we usually call "minor league" as opposed to amateur (or semi-pro) or major league? I doubt they can pull it off.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are the ones that got Drogba right?

5. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. And they also have a brand new pop up stadium that actually looks very decent and seats several thousands.

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States