NASL Files Federal Antitrust Lawsuit Against US Soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A-League also does not have pro/rel and, as such, would be exempt from the regulation. The A-League's "problem" is that the AFC does require pro/rel in order to participate in continental competitions. A-League has been exempted from this since they are a large market for the AFC.

However, a group of lower level clubs filed a complaint with FIFA over FFA's structure and the FFA lost that complaint. Part of the FIFA mandated restructure of FFA resulted in the creation of a congress-review working group that proposed a number of changes in FFA's structure that will result in pro/rel being implemented at some point in the near future (5-15 years).

2. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NPSL, USL2, whatever.;)

3. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is worth noting that CAS's ruling actually expands who is covered by the regulation. When the regulation was created, Blatter said that it only applied to NEW pro/rel systems and that existing pro/rel systems weren't required to comply with the rule, but he hoped they would comply. CAS's ruling seems to imply that the rule now applies to existing pro/rel systems as well.

4. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello European Super League!!

profiled repped this.
  5. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I agree with you that it was pretty damn apparent that it would fail. I am in no way arguing that. I'm saying that you underestimate the number of people that will blindly follow and agree with someone because they support their cause without actually paying attention to facts.

I also think he knew months ago that his goose was cooked and that is why he is in USL. It was the best he could do and wanted to be somewhere established.

DanGerman repped this.
  6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it a requirement now? As of a few years ago, pro/rel was just one of the factors that went into the AFC club coefficient to decide which leagues got how many places in the continental competitions. So my understanding was that leagues without pro/rel would have their representation in AFC competitions reduced.

Either way, the AFC is responsible for the joke that is pro/rel in Qatar, where there are few enough clubs that the entire league system could be placed in a single division (20 clubs, up from 18 a few years ago) but there are two divisions just to satisfy the AFC.

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. It looks like it is arbitrary on how it is applied and not part of the coefficient or a requirement? I see on the google machine that Australia lost an automatic qualification spot in the 2013 edition due to lack of pro/rel, but that looks like the only edition they lost a spot.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2012...out-on-automatic-acl-spot/4400180?pfmredir=sm

8. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My understanding was that it was existing leagues too. In fact, I believe that Statute 9 was created in part, due to explicit cases of owners buying up a second club at a higher level and relocating them to their first club's market, rebranding them as said club, effectively "promoting" them artificially.

Maybe that came a little later?

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naw. It was passed in 2008 and specifically referenced the Spanish teams buying their way up. However, in an interview after it passed, Blatter said it wasn’t applied to existing pro/rel systems, but that he hoped they would abide by it.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hello Closed LigaMX!!

11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean to prevent exactly what happens in Liga MX?

sitruc and barroldinho repped this.
  12. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    None of the people who passed that rule cares what happens in Mexico.

Kejsare, sitruc and Allez RSL repped this.
  13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    "We're not going to be able to get pro/rel until we abolish capitalism" has been my favorite rando take in the fallout from this whole case.

"CSKA Hipster Gentrified Detroit" has a nice ring to it though.

majspike, profiled, Kejsare and 8 others repped this.
  14. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American soccer fans are such gullible morons (and I'm saying this as an euphemism)

Kejsare, Egbert Sousé and jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was down to the Asian confederation imposing pro/rel on it's members, not FIFA.

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.... If you had actually read the post chain you would have seen that barroldinho and I were talking about it being an AFC requirement or part of the coefficient.... Turns out it is neither, or at least arbitrarily applied.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the last page or so.

18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep. But I took that less as the rule not applying to them and more as FIFA being lazy, dysfunctional gits who in practice prefer to be as hands-off as possible when it comes to domestic leagues. Their statutes are even worded as generally deferring to the national FAs on domestic matters.

I think it takes an outright schism such as those saw in India and Australia and FIFA being dragged in before they actually get involved.

Really? What a pointless and ineffective statute.

So basically it didn't apply to existing leagues, opened or closed and the one place it might apply - new leagues - is the one where adopting pro/rel is the riskiest and least appropriate.

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe K-League would be the only one covered by Blatter’s interpretation. However, CAS just applied it to all existing.

20. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current coefficient appears to have been used only since 2014, so pro/rel may have been factored in prior to that. I haven't had much luck finding information on the AFC's past allocation systems, but I recall pro/rel being relevant at one point fairly recently.

I doubt that it's a current requirement, seeing as the Indian Super League gets one of India's entries in AFC competitions, and the Philippines and Singapore also get entries without pro/rel.

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that a European super league will ever happen for one big reason:

Somebody's gotta finish last, and if you're the last-place club in the biggest, baddest league in the world, you're still a last-place club and the fans are still gonna be pissed.

22. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a lot kinder than I am, sir!

23. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm a little hazy on this but my recollection is that the AFC used to spit its nations into two tiers. I don't remember the names but the lower one was "developing nations" or something like that. Clubs from upper tier nations entered the Champions League, the others entered the AFC Cup. There was an assortment of criteria for determining who was in the upper or lower tier but at some point, having pro/rel while not mandatory (IIRC), did score you ample merit in those considerations.

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless there is a hidden portion of the coefficient, or heaven forbid that Wikipedia is wrong, but the coefficient is now based on a combination of the national team's FIFA ranking (10%) and the league's performance in ACL and ACC (90%).

https://www.the-afc.com/afc/documents/PDFFiles/afc-club-competitions-ranking-mechanics

There is also a "minimum" requirement that a confederation and league must meet in order to have their teams even qualify, but there is no specific mention of pro/rel in those minimum requirements.

https://www.the-afc.com/afc/documents/PDFFiles/entry-manual-afc-club-competitions-2017-2020-33728

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    India is introducing pro/rel, the Philippines federation have committed to pro/rel while Singapore only has 9 teams.