NASL deal with ONE World Sports

Discussion in 'NASL' started by newtex, Jul 6, 2015.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://www.nasl.com/news/2015/07/06...sion-partnership-with-one-world-sports#tabs-2

I guess this means the Wednesday games won't be available on ESPN3? Too bad, I was looking forward to watching some of them. Doesn't look like I can get ONE World Sports either broadcast or online.

Here is the full schedule for NASL Wednesday Night Soccer on ONE World Sports:

• July 8 | Carolina RailHawks vs. Fort Lauderdale Strikers | 7:30 PM ET
    • July 15 | Minnesota United FC vs. Jacksonville Armada FC | 8:00 PM ET
    • July 22 | Ottawa Fury FC vs. Atlanta Silverbacks | 7:00 PM ET
    • August 5 | New York Cosmos vs. Minnesota United FC | 7:30 PM ET
    • August 12 | Jacksonville Armada FC vs. Carolina RailHawks | 7:30 PM ET
    • August 19 | Indy Eleven vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies | 7:30 PM ET
    • August 26 | Ottawa Fury FC vs. New York Cosmos | 7:00 PM ET
    • September 2 | Minnesota United FC vs. Indy Eleven | 8:00 PM ET
    • September 9 | San Antonio Scorpions vs. Carolina RailHawks | 8:30 PM ET
    • September 16 | Fort Lauderdale Strikers vs. Jacksonville Armada FC | 7:30 PM ET
    • September 30 | Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Indy Eleven | 7:30 PM ET
    • October 7 | Atlanta Silverbacks vs. New York Cosmos | 7:30 PM ET
    • October 14 | Carolina RailHawks vs. FC Edmonton | 7:30 PM ET
    • October 21 | Jacksonville Armada FC vs. Ottawa Fury FC | 7:30 PM ET

2. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will One world sports broadcast it on their website? They do that for the Cosmos game on their channel.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You still have to register for that, don't you? Which means entering your cable provider.

4. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    No, those games will still be on ESPN3. Not doing so would contradict what they said when they announced the partnership. Not doing so would most likely be a breach of contract. Also I would assume the One World Sports airings would simply be a simulcast which they do not own the rights to the broadcast, and would not be able to block the airing of the games on ESPN3.

5. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, they just stream it on there. No registering required.

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #6 newtex, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    That's good.

I do not, however, see this Wednesday's game on the ESPN3 schedule.

7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hmmm.

If I go to http://www.oneworldsports.com/ right now I don't see any way to watch a stream. They should be showing darts right now. It is somehow different for Cosmos games?

8. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Well, it is always possible they negotiated this into the ESPN3 deal. Which if they did they are idiots. One World Sports should never trump ESPN, even if it just ESPN3.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money talks.

Not that I know of any money being paid or not.

10. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Woo short term gain at the expense of long term growth. At least that is what I heard you say.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes the bills are due.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait to see what Wednesday Night games for NASL has for attendance.

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    As I suspected:

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/sports-enter-national-37058/

So no Wednesday night NASL for me (or for most people).

sitruc and The One X repped this.
  14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

If ESPN has an actual contract with someone, instead of just providing them a platform to send them their self-produced games (which is what happens with ESPN3, that's what "the ESPN3 deal" means in almost all cases), you could negotiate primacy or exclusivity or a caveat into that. But One World is picking up games in an attempt to grow their own network by offering programming that (they believe, anyway) people will want to see.

It's no different than when ESPN put Duke/North Carolina basketball on espn2 and people lost their minds because they couldn't get espn2 - well, that was the entire point. They wanted you to pressure your cable company to offer espn2.

It's also no different than beIN Sport bought US World Cup qualifiers and people lost their minds because the games wouldn't be on ESPN and they didn't get beIN Sports. Well, lah tee freaking dah, boys and girls, that's how television contracts work. They wanted you to see beIN Sports as something you need, as a player in the sports broadcasting universe when it comes to soccer. That's the entire point of their investment.

If you could watch these games on ESPN3, that would kind of reduce the value of One World's investment, now, wouldn't it? ("Investment" in time and production costs at least, even if there is no rights fee, which we have no idea about at the moment.) So why would One World do it then?

ESPN as a company and a property has far more value than One World (or anything else, to be honest, it's the biggest and most profitable entity in the history of the medium). But to say "One World Sports should never trump ESPN, even it (sic) just ESPN3" is just....cluelessness. Because that's not how the TV business works.

Wednesday nights to this point (there haven't been many):

Season...G....Total...Avg.....Med.....High.......Low
    TOTAL...40...135,605..3,390...........10,581.....520

ceezmad repped this.
  15. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    So you are saying ESPN runs ESPN3 as if it is a private YouTube. If that is the case yes the NASL would not be breaking any contracts.

Not really, that is entity 1 trying to help entity 1. This is the entity 2 trying to help entity 3. Not quite the same thing.

Never said otherwise.

No not clueless. Which service is better for the fans? One where the vast majority of America has access to, or the one where only 1/10th the of the US population has access to? The TV business is irrelevant to any of my comments, as I am thinking what is best for the fans and the league, not what is best for One World Sports.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Some odd quotes from that article:

Emphasis mine. They talk about free access but I don't think I have access at all. Sling might be an option. I need to look into that. "moderately inconvenient"? Hmmm. Doesn't seem to be a concern for the league? OK.

How does this distance the league from Traffic? Did Traffic make the deal with ESPN3? The majority of games are still on ESPN3.

I still don't think you can buy online access if you don't already have access through your cable company. Nothing behind that link tells me anything different.

17. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    who is brian cook, and why does he write like he works for nasl? what a garbage article.

18. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    With Traffic Sports and Traffic Sports USA losing all their broadcast/marketing rights from future FIFA, CONCACAF events. I wonder how long before One World Group comes in and buys all of NASL shares.

Traffic Sports USA won't even be able to finance the red ink without their fraud racketeering money rolling in like it did before.

I'm surprised that One World Group is even doing this to be honest. Traffic Sports is a pariah now. Just continuing to associate with the Traffic Sports remnants might draw suspicious eyes. Especially with the Asian Football Conference's marketing contract looking as tainted as it sounds.

19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Well, it depends on the deal.

Early MLS had to pay all production costs to put their games on TV during the old FOX Soccer Channel days.
    They losy money broadcasting matches. ESPN only eventually "paid" for early MLS when FIFA, amd our friemd Sepp, forced WC rightsto be bundled with league rights.

If One World is paying for production costs just to get the product on air for exposure it would be a win for NASL, and not that huge of an expense for One World. If NASL is paying for prduction costs for the exposure it is probably worth it.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traffic is still involved with the Gold Cup. So there is that for us that may go watch some gold cup games.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow you are giving FIFA too much credit.

The bundle was all USSF and SUM (sister of MLS)

22. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Nope....unfortunately I am not. FIFA would not sell WC brights early on unless MLS rights were piggy backed.