NASL 2016 Spring Schedule

Discussion in 'NASL' started by newtex, Jan 14, 2016.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://www.nasl.com/schedule

The entire schedule is out. Dates but no times for the Spring and Fall.

10 games in the Spring for the 11 teams and then 22 in the Fall when Puerto Rico joins.
    The Spring starts on April 4 and ends on June 12.
    The Fall starts on July 2 and ends on October 30.

Opening weekend:

Saturday, April 2
    Carolina Railhawks v. Minnesota United
    Fort Lauderdale Strikers v. Miami FC
    Rayo OKC v. FC Edmonton
    Tampa Bay Rowdies v. Indy Eleven

Sunday April 3
    NY Cosmos v. Ottawa Fury

BYE: Jacksonville Armada. The Armada open up on April 10 at the Cosmos.

2. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    The Bye really should have gone to Edmonton. Why are they starting the season with a home opener?

I doubt anyone from the NASL Scheduling Dept been to Edmonton in early April...

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Edmonton is at OKC for the opener. Home teams are listed first.

Edmonton's home opener is April 10.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  4. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Thank you, I see that now...

Still give them a bye and let them start on the 17th.

5. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Agreed. Staying out of cold weather sites until late April/early May would actually makes sense. All of the Florida teams should be home week one, and yet two are facing each other, and Jacksonville gets a bye? :confused:

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hmm.

Jacksonville and Minnesota don't get home games until week 3. Maybe that makes sense for Minnesota but seems odd for Jacksonville.

Ottawa starts off with 4 road games! They don't get a home game until May. They then play at home every week in May, four straight.

The Cosmos start off with their first four home games on Sundays and then have the bye in the final Spring week. Not a big surprise on the Sunday games at Hofstra but then they only have 2 Sunday home games out of 11 in the Fall.

MLS is taking a break for the Copa America group stage while the NASL break comes during the knockout rounds.

Puerto Rico gets their inaugural game at home against Indy on July 2. Their home stadium is still listed as TBD.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given Juan Ramon Loubriel got $7 million in renovations in 2012 to make it a true soccer stadium, if they aren't playing there, I will be even more pessimistic about their chances.

Also...

image.jpeg

JDogindy, Zoidberg and DanGerman repped this.
  8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    So is that really as dead as disco? Must have missed that.

9. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    FTL-MIAMI...

cool.

I really hope those teams see at least a small boast of interest when they get together. i would think miami would want to pack rally buses, etc on april 2. supporters culture is born through epic experiences, and this derby is one that both clubs can up the culture for their club and supporters groups. i kno FTL drew nearly 12k last year for their opener, their sales team better be working around the clock for this one. Both clubs should be working together to really market this event, in a tough s florida market, they'll need all the advantages and opportunities as possible.

greenroom and Antique repped this.
  10. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    According to one person on their facebook page, that's where they're playing. That's as much confirmation as I could find. Their web site lets you sign up for ticket sale notification info though. Yep, they'll be all set for their July 2nd opener :speechless:.

Regarding the San Antonio move (whatever there would be to move), that mlsrwriters person on the twitter machine had this to say back on 12/17 when asked for confirmation: "As for the name Qucksilvers, I can`t back this up. However, a reliable source from Vegas has been sending me inside info". Fun stuff.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, whatever remnants exist of that franchise could still be resurrected and passed off as a move to Las Vegas for 2017 or something. But that rumor tweeter made it sound like they were just going to move it straight away. (Also to be fair, Gordon Hartman still owns AN NASL franchise, right?)

Sam U El repped this.
  12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they didn't just pick it up and move it. Don't know why, considering all those players and coaches and contracts would just natually go with them and that would save them so much time and money. :)

So it's Year Six and they have 11 teams. (And a half. And the additional time will make all the difference for Puerto Rico, surely. Because if there's one thing Carmelo Anthony has proven, it's that you can count on him.)

Zoidberg repped this.
  13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How!d they do the other 14 games?

Also, I love how for years the common wisdom was "Florida is so bad, MLS can't go back to Florida, did you know the Dolphins didn't sell out a playoff game like 15 years ago?"

Now, suddenly, South Florida is so fertile, two clubs are going to succeed there.

14. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    i think you and i both know that soccer has changed in the past 15 years, where yes....even south florida has a fighting chance. 4,5k and change for the season. if miami fc can push over 5k, for minor league soccer in the miami-area, that isn't bad, not great....but not bad.

15. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think the fact that there are so many teams close to each other will help, supporters can travel. That always adds some flavor to the games. Wish we had that here in NY. As far as Cosmos playing on Sundays. ... It's not what we would like, but being tenants what else can we expect.

16. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have expected better dates especially after Stover said that "next year we'll have better dates" but that hasn't come to pass and I still for the life of me understand the Cosmos's fetish with playing in Hofstra and being restricted by it they NEED to move and do it next season if possible.

17. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't have much faith in anything Stover says. Playing at Hoftra is not optimal, but to be honest MCU park has not helped attendance much. If we don't get an answer about the stadium this year, then we need to move on.

Sam U El repped this.
  18. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stover's and idiot and unfortunately I think he's a major reason the Cosmos aren't growing as they should.

19. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A bigger reason is the league.

Sam U El repped this.
  20. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I wouldn't put much stock in the occasional game at MCU being representative of what they would pull on a regular basis. Having a more regular presence in that part of town could increase attendance. Likewise it could actually be the opposite, although I do not think a D2 team has the pull to have higher than normal attendance in one off games at a location.

21. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is what I've been saying from the beginning if they made MCU their permanent home its near a subway stop which would do wonders for attendance in the long run and it can't possibly cost more then Hofstra?

22. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think this season will be key. If the stadium does not get approved then we'll be out of Hofstra and probably in BK, at the same time looking for a permanent home there. Leaving Hofstra before is a bit of a crapshoot, the Cosmos are hoping to draw more than 8k at least for opening day and playoffs, you can't do that at MCU. Who knows how many season ticket holders will follow to MCU park.

Sam U El repped this.
  23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Week 1:

Eastern times, home team first.

Saturday, April 2
    Carolina RailHawks v. Minnesota United 3:00 pm ESPN3
    Fort Lauderdale Strikers v. Miami FC 7:00 pm beIN Sports
    Tampa Bay Rowdies v. Indy Eleven 7:30 pm ONE World Sports
    Rayo OKC v. FC Edmonton 8:00 pm ESPN3

Sunday, April 4
    NY Cosmos v. Ottawa Fury 6:00 pm ESPN3

BYE: Jacksonville Armada

I think this TV information is correct. Let me know if anyone has other information.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One World Sports isn't on DirecTV right? No other way to watch it?

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You can watch it on their website. Apparently they have removed the restriction that you had to be a TV subscriber to the TV channel to access the stream. That still applies to the mobile app.

http://www.strikers.com/news/2016/0...ck-off-second-season-of-broadcast-partnership

Sam U El and SoccerPrime repped this.