NASL 2016 News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by USAsports6, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Interesting take on the NASL's place in US soccer:

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2016/05/03/nasl-future-american-soccer/

When people think of the MLS, they think of a poor excuse for soccer. I’m sure after asking more than 15 people, some might not even know what it is. Cue the NASL.
    “What is that?” , “What league is that?” , “There’s more than one league in America?”.

Not many people know about the NASL and not many people care to tune in every weekend to see who is playing, but is that a bad thing?

2. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think for this article to make sense, teams need to have more US U25 types on their teams and getting them minutes for this "take" to have much of a point. Yes, the Cosmos signed Haji Wright ... but did they give him NASL minutes? There are a few that are in the league ... but do they get consistent minutes? Are there more than 1 per starting XI? I don't know. MLS has enough "aging" US eligible players that are in form enough to have the depth the USMNT roster needs (other CONCACAF countries don't though, so that's where NASL could play a role in). The younger players, give them minutes in NASL and I'd be more interested in the league as a whole, I agree with that part ... I just don't see it happening.

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    My first thought was.....I can write articles, and if no one knows what it is, what I am talking about, whether it makes a real point or not, makes sense or reads it, is that a bad thing?:D

Martin Fischer, DBR70 and Blando13 repped this.
  4. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SBI NASL Power Rankings (Week 5)

Three teams have distanced themselves from the pack, but the NASL Spring Season race is wide open following this past weekend’s action.

The New York Cosmos rejoined the list of title contenders with a victory over the Carolina RailHawks, who saw the club’s season-opening win streak snapped at five in a row. With the win, the Cosmos continue the carousel at the top alongside the RailHawks and Minnesota United FC. The three have all collected a win and a loss from each other this season, opening the door for a frenetic race to the Spring crown.

Just behind them, the Tampa Bay Rowdies and Indy Eleven continue to grab results, with the latter serving as the league’s final remaining unbeaten side. On the other end of the spectrum, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers and Miami FC saw their struggles continue, while Ottawa Fury FC broke out in a major way over the weekend.

Here’s a closer look at this week’s NASL Power Rankings:

http://sbisoccer.com/2016/05/sbi-nasl-power-rankings-week-5

5. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Of course even in the NASL Indy can't get any respect from the media. Only undefeated team left, yet not part of the "Three teams have distanced themselves from the pack".

Sam U El repped this.
  6. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indy 1.1%... The Rodney Dangerfield of the NASL.

7. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tampa Bay Rowdies Land Former Premier League Champion Joe Cole
    Midfielder has represented England at the senior level over 50 times

Three-time English Premier League champion Joe Cole has signed with the Tampa Bay Rowdies, pending ITC approval. His contract with the Rowdies runs through the end of the 2017 North American Soccer League Season, with a club option for 2018. Per club and league policy, no further contract details were disclosed.

“Joe is a fantastic player, a player I know well from my time in England,” said Rowdies Head Coach Stuart Campbell. “His experience not just on the field, but off it, is invaluable for us. One of the biggest things I took from my conversations with Joe was his love of the game and how badly he wants to win matches. The fire is burning inside him to win games and achieve great things with the Rowdies.”

http://www.nasl.com/news/2016/05/04/tampa-bay-rowdies-land-english-veteran-joe-cole

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  8. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Rowdies Signing Joe Cole Praises NASL Growth

[​IMG]

Fans and local media showed up to get their first glimpse of the newest Tampa Bay Rowdies midfielder, World Cup veteran Joe Cole, on Wednesday morning.

The public event was held at the Mahaffey Theater, next door to Al Lang Stadium where the Rowdies hope Cole will make his club debut against Rayo OKC on Saturday night.

A winner of multiple Premier League titles and FA Cup trophies with Chelsea, Cole signals a significant moment and milestone for the Rowdies, who are looking to become bigger players in the market for high-profile internationals. Cole is easily the most distinguished player to sign with the modern era Rowdies. He was sure to acknowledge the lasting impact past English stars Rodney Marsh from the original NASL have given the Rowdies to this day.

“I know that Georgios Samaras is at Oklahoma City, and he’s had a good career, playing at Celtic and Man City. Then obviously Raul. If the league is good enough for him, then it’s certainly good enough for every footballer out there — he’s one of the world stars, if you like. It shows everyone the strength of the league that it’s attracting these players."

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/new-rowdies-signing-joe-cole-praises-nasl-growth-47996/

9. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jacksonville Armada have sold midfielder Richie Ryan to Miami FC for a 750k transfer fee.

Yes you read that right, 750k.

10. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Are we sure that isn't a typo?

11. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea 75k sounds more realistic.

12. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $750k?! Does that player crap gold or something? That has to be a typo, 75k sounds more realistic.

USAsports6 repped this.
  13. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a typo would be the only thing that would make sense but who knows.

14. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    75k actually seems low to me considering they are in the same league, but they could field a whole second team for 750k.

USAsports6 repped this.
  15. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that's.... what the... wow... o_O

USAsports6 repped this.
  16. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just in case the transfer fee didn't impress you, Ryan's salary which was in the 80-90k per year range for Jacksonville, will now be around 20-25k a MONTH with Miami. That's about trippling his salary with Jacksonville.

Sam U El repped this.
  17. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But wait... There's more!:laugh:

Sources: Armada send Richie Ryan to Miami in record transfer deal

As if that number wasn’t enough to grab your attention, Ryan’s salary adjustment will.

The now-former Armada captain is set to make nearly three times his current salary with Miami FC. EoS has learned that the 31-year-old Ireland native, who was making $80-90k a year with the Armada, will now be paid from $20-25k a month through 2016, with annual increases to his salary coming in 2017 and 2018.

When combining all of those numbers, this deal surpasses the seven figure threshold; a record total for the NASL and a number that likely obliterates any club-to-club transfers on the Major League Soccer level as well.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/sourc...-ryan-to-miami-in-record-transfer-deal-48052/

USAsports6 repped this.
  18. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just trying to upstage our Joe Cole signing. I see how it is, Miami.

19. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Hey, that is one way to increase investment into the league. Get a few teams with rich owners to pay ridiculous transfer fees to the less rich owners.

20. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also a good way to put teams way in the red.

The One X repped this.
  21. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I really can't imagine the Miami FC owners are in this for the black ink. I see the whole operation as a vanity project for people who want to be "players" on south beach. The value in this investments comes elsewhere.
    If they were in this to make money, they would have selected a market without the image of being a terrible sports town, not a failed soccer market (hell even Miami FC was a complete disaster just a few years ago) with MLS presumed to be right around the corner. They came into this without any type of viable stadium plan (they are not going to have serious success in that venue, and metro Miami really does not have a better venue available), i'd have to imagine they could have found a more viable market with better stadium opportunities. However, they want to have fun owning a football club in glamorous Miami. Not good for their business, but great for NASL, at least for as long as they are willing to splash the cash around.
    If this news is true, then this is great news for Jacksonville. That club seems to have a more viable business plan setting them up for long-term success, this injection of cash will be very welcome at this stage in their operation!

Sam U El and FootySkeptic repped this.
  22. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Just hope they invest long term with it.

23. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of years ago the NASL made news because Restrepo was traded for Free Hotel Rooms; now a 700k transfer fee was paid by an expansion club.

Look how far the NASL has come?o_O

Using the 700k as a comparison, and not knowing if Richie Ryan is worth the money, how much money did the Cosmos use to attract Raul and Senna? Now I know why "terms are not disclosed"

Anyway, value is relative, and hope both sides get value from this deal.

24. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Operating in the Red" is the mantra for Soccer in America. There is some great insight into what is going on with NASL from Luis Cuccatti, the managing director of the Fort Lauderdale Strikers. His recent interview with Neil Morris on the Inverted Triangle podcast discusses the Strikers primarily but I think it's a concerted effort from the NASL BOG and his comments reflect that. Say what you will about the league but I think they are working very hard to legitimize the league based on it's free market model and are willing to suck up short term pain for long term growth.

Read more at http://www.wralsportsfan.com/soccer/asset_gallery/15514282/#msDZ1JR8QfyJEzfu.99

FootySkeptic repped this.