NASL 2016 News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by USAsports6, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USAsports6, Sam U El, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  2. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brentgoulet, USAsports6 and The One X repped this.
  3. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One World Sports Lifts NASL Paywall, League Closing in on New TV Partner

In his media conference call on Tuesday afternoon, Commissioner Peterson also addressed recent speculation that the NASL is close to signing on with another Television partner to go along with its deal with One World Sports. According to him, those talks continue and could be completed as soon as this week.
    “Yes, we have been in discussion with potential broadcast partners,” stated Peterson. “No, we haven’t been able to conclude those deals and haven’t signed on yet. So we’re going to hold back from discussion any of those.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/one-w...ll-league-closing-in-on-new-tv-partner-46117/

Burr, The One X and brentgoulet repped this.
  4. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL expecting expansion as league evaluates new, old markets

The 2016 NASL season is set to be headlined by the introduction of three new teams, but commissioner Bill Peterson is already looking ahead to further additions.

Speaking on a conference call on Tuesday, Peterson said the league is expecting several expansion-related announcements throughout the year. One of those announcements is expected to come in the next few weeks with the official unveiling of a new club.

For months, a group from San Francisco has been widely reported as the next addition to the league. The San Francisco Deltas are expected to feature at Kezar Stadium for the time being. In addition, a group from Chicago headed by executive Peter Wilt is pushing to gain entrance to the league, although the project appears to be a bit further off than that of San Francisco.

“We will have an expansion announcement in the near future,” Peterson said. “We don’t think it’s a secret anymore, but we’re going to refrain from discussing it until the team as a chance to announce it themselves, I believe, over the next two or three weeks. We also expect that other announcements will come throughout the year. Nothing else is imminent today, but we’re engaged in a number of conversations that are serious with serious partners

http://sbisoccer.com/2016/03/nasl-e...ew-old-markets/comment-page-1#comment-1009795

The One X, FootySkeptic and brentgoulet repped this.
  5. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    #105 FootySkeptic, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    If the TV deal is national, it could bring in a few more expansions. Then again it all depends on the ratings too...

In the expansion article it alludes to Atlanta. Seems odd.

The One X and Sam U El repped this.
  6. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peterson has stated before that several factors go into expansions but ultimately it depends on where Ownership groups want to expand. NASL said that they wanted to remain in the ATL market and felt it was one that could support 2 franchises. The problem was an ownership group to pull it off. At the end there wasn't enough time to save the Silverbacks and maybe when all the smoke clears it might be more advantageous to have an ownership group that wants to invest in ATL to start new. It seems that there are two groups interested in an ATL franchise even with United FC starting. If the situation in OKC is any indication of the possibilities of having two relatively new franchises battling for a market share it could be at a minimum plenty of fodder for the Bigsoccer forums to debate. I think the problem is Big Daddy Warbucks NFL owner with a shiny new stadium can prove to be tough competition... IF they devote maximum resources to own the market and the fans. If not and they provide an opening for an NASL club to exploit who knows.

7. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Yeah if they can get a national deal it will increase interest in the league. It would definitely be a huge selling point in getting potential owners to choice NASL over USL. I do worry that such a deal though hinges too much on having teams in cities like San Francisco and Chicago which could potentially limit where they look for expansion slots. With MLS most certainly taking up most of the biggest cities, I would like to see a healthy amount of mid-major cities mixed in with the NASL.

8. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wonder if the league would be making any kind of income out of a deal like that? Or would they give the rights away to have more exposure? I think at such an early stage in league growth having the national exposure is great even if the teams don't make any real money.

The One X and brentgoulet repped this.
  9. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong, it's great they got the deal with 1World ... but uh, hardly anyone can see them still though. I mean, beIN kills them on availability and that's saying something. Even if I wanted to pay 15$ extra a month just for the channel I couldn't because DirecTV doesn't even carry them. Fios is the only "major" cable provider I saw that carries them.

The One X repped this.
  10. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're lifting the paywall on their stream for NASL games though, which is all I care about.

nanoGVSP, Bklyn Royals Fan and The One X repped this.
  11. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    R.I.P. JOHAN CRUYFF
    Dutch superstar made NASL stay count
    Johan Cruyff made his name with AFC Ajax, FC Barcelona and the Dutch national team. But Cruyff also made his mark in the U.S., bringing his game to the North American Soccer League from 1978-81.

Cruyff, 68, who died Thursday, joined his former coach, Rinus Michels, with the Los Angeles Aztecs in ’79, a year after refusing to play in the World Cup, at the time stating he was protesting against the military regime in Argentina but later saying he feared a kidnap attempt. Cruyff, on loan from Barcelona, played one season for the Aztecs, then moved to the Washington Diplomats, also performing as a guest player for the New York Cosmos. Cruyff had signed a lucrative contract in the NASL but his reluctance to play on artificial surfaces limited his appearances in his final season.

Born in Amsterdam April 25, 1947, Hendrik Johannes Cruyff grew up a few blocks from Ajax’s De Meer Stadium, where his mother worked as a cleaner, joining the first team as a 17-year-old and winning his first Dutch championship in the 1965-1966 season. Cruyff helped innovate the Dutch “Total Football” style, winning three UEFA Champions Cups under Michels from 1970-71 to 1971-73. Cruyff then transferred to Barcelona, winning his third Ballon d’Or as Europe’s best player in 1974.

http://bigapplesoccer.com/leagues/nasl2.php?article_id=44112
    -------

REMEMBERING AN 'UNBELIEVABLE' FOE
    When the Cosmos tussled with LA or Washington, Andranik Eskandarian always got the better of Cruyff

Eskandarian reminisced about his foe Thursday as Cruyff passed away after battling cancer. He was 68.

During his three-year tenure in the NASL (1979-1981) after forging his legendary reputation on the world stage, Cruyff made life miserable for opposition defenders. He was good for at least one goal a game, whether it was by himself (25) or while setting up teammates (37) over 53 appearances.

While Cruyff had skills and vision far beyond that of mortal players.

Yet, Eskandarian felt there was another part of the Dutchman's game that put him in another orbit: his speed.

"He was one of those players who could accelerate in five to 10 yards," he said, adding that Cruyff's vision and ability to find space also added to the degree of difficulty of marking him. "He could take two, three players in five, six steps. I had speed. I could always catch him. He didn't like that. When he takes off, he wanted to take off and go but somehow I reached him and he was getting aggravated."

Eskie talked about Cruyff with his Dutch teammates on the Cosmos, Johan Neeskens and Wim Rijsbergen. A vital member on the Dutch side that was runner-up to West Germany in the 1974 World Cup, Cruyff helped revolutionize the game along with Netherlands head coach Rinus Michels with the advent of Total Soccer.

"The seventies he was like a king,” he said. “We talked on how great he was. He carried that country. I don't think anybody replaced him. He had Ruud Gullit after him, but nobody like him, nobody."

http://bigapplesoccer.com/leagues/nasl2.php?article_id=44113

FootySkeptic, Hill Giant and brentgoulet repped this.
  12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

Bob Williams
    Have just learned the first @beINSPORTSUSA match this @naslofficial Spring Season is... Fort Lauderdale Strikers v Miami FC #NASL

(BeIN Sports, which is currently in around 17 million American homes, holds the rights to La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A and English Championship matches in the United States)

Antique and Sam U El repped this.
  13. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much smaller distribution, but on the plus side it's there with a lot of other soccer programming which probably makes more sense and is more likely to get noticed by actual soccer fans.

The One X and Sam U El repped this.
  14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait, so they're on 1World and beIN?

15. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, if the BeIN deal is completed.

16. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be nice if the league, you know announced this officially. Wonder what the hold up is on there end?

17. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So beIN was scheduled to air the Haiti vs Panama World Cup qualifier today and at the last minute decided to air a UEFA friendly instead. Should we be concerned about this? What happens if a NASL game is scheduled and last minute they decide a UEFA super club friendly is more important for ratings?

18. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I would hope they would not sign an agreement that would allow them to do that.

19. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think CONCACAF would do the same.

The One X repped this.
  20. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Ray Hudson will be the broadcast analysis for that game. That could be very interesting...:)...I'll be at the game in the supporters section. Go Strikers.

brentgoulet and Sam U El repped this.
  21. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  22. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COYR!!!

brentgoulet repped this.
  23. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BeIN is showing Miami FC vs Fort Lauderdale this weekend.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ratings pay the bills, NASL will have to learn to live with it.

Sam U El repped this.
  25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember each country sells their home rights individually, so Haiti or Panama sold their rights for the game to BeInS not Concacaf. What ever BeIn does afterwards is up to them as long as the check clears.

Antique, Sam U El and FootySkeptic repped this.