NASL 2016 News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by USAsports6, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy new year fellow NASL friends! Time for a new thread.

brentgoulet repped this.
  2. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rayo OKC is set to announce their head coach on Thursday.

3. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NASL has suspended operations of the Atlanta Silverbacks.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down 2, up 3 for 2016 so far?

Sam U El and The One X repped this.
  5. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2017 might look the same with Minnesota and potentially Ottawa leaving, while Chicago, San Francisco Bay Area and potentially Las Vegas join.

6. annapolis

annapolis Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Why is the Atlanta shield off the NASL website's masthead while the San Antonio shield remains.

7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The San Antonio franchise is still active as far was we know. The league has not announced what will happen with it. Pretty clear it is not playing in San Antonio but it may yet move somewhere else.

The One X repped this.
  8. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Ottawa likely will not leave in 2017. The rumoured Canadian league has yet to be formally announced and does not even have a start date yet. I have seen an optimistic 2017 start date thrown around out there, but thats not by anyone involved with CSA or anyone of importance/relevance on the issue.

Kolyn repped this.
  9. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    You mean all the talk is coming from the same blogger who seems to be guessing things.

10. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antique repped this.
  11. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Scorpions are now gone from the NASL website. They had a two sentences about them and Atlanta in this article about the schedule for 2016.
    NASL UNVEILS FULL 2016 SEASON SCHEDULE
    "As a trio of new clubs – Miami FC, Puerto Rico FC, and Rayo OKC - begin NASL play in 2016, two clubs will not participate. The Atlanta Silverbacks and San Antonio Scorpions will not compete in 2016."

Sam U El repped this.
  12. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    The league has been discussed by everyone form the CSA Prez to media, former players, etc etc

Whether it happens in 2017 or not, the league has been in the works for a while.

13. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I used to think it was all from the same blogger too. I recently heard a local radio interview with the president of FC London, Dino Rossi, and he mentioned the league several times as 'the level above us' and "in between MLS and League 1" it kind of surprised me because the radio hosts didn't really catch on that such a thing does not yet exist. The point of it though is he sees the move to L1O as part of the process to bring the structure in place for a full pyramid. Thats what he was expressing whilst the hosts were obliviously disregarding and focusing on asking him questions about what the difference between PDL and L10 is in quality.

So while most of the noise comes from D.Rollins some others are leaking it without meaning it. Yet the start date has not been announced and because of that it might not get off the ground in time/if ever. Regardless it is not imminent by any means until its officially announced.

14. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I agree with everything you've said.

I also think L1 Ontario is a good pyramid base. I'm encouraged by the league so far, in it's infancy. Young players need to be given opportunities and if they succeed, be able to move up to a higher level. A truly foreign concept to Canadian soccer in the last twenty years.

15. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Out of contract FC Edmonton 19 year old super hyped Hanson Boakai is apparently on trial with Hadjuk Split in Croatia. There is rumoured to be a hang up on training compensation to his former club.

It was reported in December that TFC were close to signing him, but he really wanted to give Europe a try.

I hope FC Edmonton can get some training compensation for him. Unlike U.S soccer, the CSA does not block training compensation fees.

I hope Split signs as him, as his talent level is off the charts, and it would be a good place to develop.

16. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
  17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is NASL still involved with this? All I see mentioned are CFL and NHL owners.

18. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. They went their own way. It will be interesting to see if Ottawa flips over immediately or if they wait and see for a season or two

Burr repped this.
  19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamilton NASL is dead. I also wonder what Edmonton will do, especially since their owner is one of the silent majority owners of the NASL now.

20. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Ottawa is supposed to jump on board to the new C League as soon as its ready. FC Edmonton has no intention of joining.

As a former season ticket holder of the Eddies (I moved away), I love Tom Fath, but I don't see the club surviving past this season. Im amazed that he's held on as long as he has with his huge losses.

It makes no sense to fly to Puerto Rico when you could bus your team to Calgary and have all of your expenses in Canadian dollars instead of American. Not to mention the rumoured TV deal with TSN.

21. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I get that, but I seem to remember Fath owning a majority of the B shares which have an interest in the expansion fees iirc. He may not have sustained big losses overall, and may be holding out for the next expansion rush to 20 by the NASL.

Fath and Katz are on pretty good terms so something could foreseeably be worked out. It would be a shame to watch the eddies go down as a matyr to the soccer wars.

22. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Not really sure it's right to assume Ottawa will jump ship. They may do but it's certainly not a definite.

23. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reporter who has been at the forefront of this story has said Ottawa is going to the CanPL. I would count on them being gone by 2018 at the latest.

24. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems legit if TSN already has a TV contract lined up for these teams. Getting a cut of that money when currently you have little or none is a huge factor in that decision if its true.