Nashville

Discussion in 'Nashville SC' started by DoyleG, Aug 22, 2003.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, saw that, was happy to see that. Hopefully theres not many more roadblocks down in Nashville

2. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I'm sure there will be. Just gotta roll with the punches.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  3. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IvanIV and NashSC repped this.
  4. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Is there any discussion on when demolition/construction will start

5. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I have heard. I would think that the current lawsuit against it that has been filed would first have to heard and either dismissed or a temporary injunction ordered if it was to proceed.

6. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrueCrew and NashSC repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lively crowd on hand for both Mexico and the USA for the friendly at Nissan Stadium in Nashville. Nice to see what looks like (on TV) a packed house...

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincy is targeting 2021 also, I think. It could be a banner year for stadia. You guys, Cincy, maybe Miami, and perhaps Columbus & Austin as well.

9. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge congrats to the #STC folks and everyone in Columbus. Looks like we will see MLS Crew-NSC matches after all.

TyphonInc, TrueCrew and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. It looks good but fingers still crossed. Anytime a new stadium is part of the bargain it gets tricky. Though in our case, all the land is in private hands (if we have the location correct). Makes it a bit easier politics wise. Think they can fund via bonds without a public vote. We'll ser. But all the local titans, business & politics, seem behind it except for Kasich (silent), but he is out in 3 months anyway.

11. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I don’t get it, is Nashville SC a separate team? I thought like FC Cincinnati, they are gonna go in to the MLS. Or are they just a USL side for the Nashville team not yet formed?

12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nashville SC is currently a team in the USL Championship. Their ownership has secured an expansion slot in MLS. Theoretically they will have to create a new team to take part in MLS and they may also keep the USL franchise.

That is exactly the same as FC Cincinnati. They have said that they will hold on to their USL franchise rights even when they start their MLS team and may continue to have a team in the USL.

IvanIV repped this.
  13. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if I can remember the sequence of events, the original supporter-owned NPSL club, Nashville FC, was bought by a group that wanted to join the USL. The name changed to Nashville SC and for the year before joining the current USL1/Championship they fielded a PDL side.

While this was happening, there was a group working on an MLS franchise. They bought a controlling interest in the USL club, so eventually all was the same.

So if you look at it as being an continuation of the same club, they will have been NPSL from 2014-2016, PDL 2017, USL1/Championship 2018-2019?, MLS 2020. That's quite an ascension in a short span of time.

IvanIV repped this.
  14. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Have any of the other MLS expansion groups done this?
    Kept lower level team in the same city as the new MLS team, after MLS expansion team started play?

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The whole MLS2 in USL team concept started in 2014 when LA Galaxy II was formed.

Orlando was the only MLS expansion team that was previously a USL team since then. LAFC, NYCFC, and Atlanta were completely new creations. Minnesota United was previously a NASL team but unsurprisingly they did not keep that team going.

Orlando did keep their USL slot and started Orlando City B the year after the first team began play. Orlando City B did start off playing in nearby Melbourne, FL for one year before moving back to Orlando for a season and then being put on hiatus. It is being brought back in USL League One and will play in 2019 in the Orlando suburbs.

Cincinnati would be the other example if they actually field a team.

IvanIV, jaykoz3 and NashSC repped this.
  16. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I am not specifically talking about USL...thats why I said "lower level".
    Has any teams that went from NASL or any other lower level kept a team operating in the lower league in the same city?
    Looks like you are saying Orlando did...kind of.

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    OK. Orlando City would be the only example. Unless Cincinnati also does it.
    I'm not sure that the NASL would have even allowed Minnesota to do it.

It just isn't a very big sample size since 2014.

If you want to go back farther than that no MLS team operated a lower division pro team whether they "moved up" or not.

NashSC repped this.
  18. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Very good point.

19. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Legally, yes for FC Cincinnati, But essentially they are taking the USL side to MLS next season with same coaching staff. For Nashville, it looks like they are keeping the USL squad intact and creating a new MLS side with different brand.

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to drive up anytime. Just another 2 hours from Cincy. Less to DT or if you drive fast (not recommended in OH).

21. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando sold their USL rights to the Louisville group, who retained the colors and the City name. IIRC Louisville was Orlando's USL affiliate for a season or two before Orlando City B was formed.

22. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

So there it is then.

1. Kept the name.(plus) - Some people dislike the international-style names for American clubs, but there is value in continuity. What I was most worried about was a potential name change to something colossally stupid.

2. Kept the colors, mostly (plus) - So the gold is paler than the current hue and the blue looks a little purplish, but they still call it blue and gold.

3. Changed the crest (minus) - The current crest isn't the best in the world but it's not bad. This one looks more like a corporate logo than a crest for a soccer club. But there are plenty of clubs around with lousy crests, so we will just be another one. And since the colors are still the same we can just wear our current gear instead.

I did not attend the gathering but I watched a bit of it online. I liked the acknowledgment t recognition of Nashville's soccer past, all the way back to the ASL Diamonds in 1982. (Talk about a lousy logo!) It was good to see the Metros recognized with an appearance from Lynn and Devinder. Then of course the progression from NPSL Nashville FC to PDL and USL Championship Nashville SC to the MLS club. History and tradition in American club soccer is so fleeting. I am glad there is a through line from the 2013 NFC founding to the future in MLS.

Thoughts?

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still a pretty awesome story. Looking back on it, Nashville literally threw a bid together at the last possible minute that pretty much no one took seriously. It was probably #12 on the list of 12 initially. And now, here they are, frankly outdoing all 12 other bids. Theyve got a lot to be proud of. I think you guys are gonna be great for the league.

24. golers

golers Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Feb 19, 2018
    Slightly confused, so Nashville SC (of the USL Championship) is being promoted to MLS or is this a new club all together?

Would really prefer that the original club be the one going to MLS. The current team is very talented and has a passionate following. The USL team should be rewarded the same way FC Cincinnati was by being invited to join MLS without simply creating a new team. The current one is perfect.

Second, the logo. I have thought for some time now that the old Nashville SC logo is one of the best in all of soccer. The new one is. I mean.. whew. Nope!

Bottom line is I'm happy Nashville is getting a team. I just want the original club to join MLS to keep the soul that the supporters have created.

Welcome, Music City!

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promotion is a strong word.

New owners came in an bought an MLS team, and they bought the USL team name and colors.
    The USL team will be moving to a new location in 2020 (I think that is right).

kenntomasch repped this.