Nashville SC USL Thread

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Blackbox, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130628/SPORTS11/306280135/2072/SPORTS

"Metros missing in 2013, but there's hope for soccer return soon"

Quotes from Martin Maciel, Devinder Sandhu, Desmond Armstrong, Tim Holt, and others. Sounds like minor league soccer could return to Nashville in the form of USL Pro or, more likely, PDL or NPSL. Also sounds like the proposed team doesn't necessarily have to be named the Metros.

IMO I think a clean break and a fresh start (and a creative brand) is just what Nashville soccer needs.

panicfc repped this.
  2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The end of the longest continuously owned franchise in the United Soccer League..."

Stopped reading right there.

3. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hardly a faux pas. As one of The Tennessean's main Titans reporters, John Glennon is also the paper's go-to soccer writer. When LP Field hosts a major soccer match, his pieces give the sport the respect it doesn't always get from writers and sources that don't regularly cover soccer.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it is a faux pas. They've been United Soccer Leagues since 1999.

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nashville Atlas has been approved for NPSL, a different group than Nashville FC.

Also, some rumors floating around of a USL Pro team for the area.

6. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then, let's hear them! o_O

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said too much already.

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah and I thought that you might be going with the Atlas...

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I not going with anyone yet ---but I'd listen to all parties.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...up-aims-buy-nashville-football-club/85037754/

The organization working to bring a United Soccer League team to Nashville sent a letter of intent to acquire the assets of the city's existing soccer team.

On Friday, DMD Soccer, which was recently awarded a franchise by the USL — which is two tiers below Major League Soccer, the highest level of pro soccer in the United States — sent a letter toNashville Football Club in an effort to purchase their name and logo to use for a future franchise.

Nashville FC, the city’s existing amateur team which was founded in 2013, competes in the National Premier Soccer League.

panicfc repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The name is generic as can be and the logo is pretty ordinary, why not just hire some marketing team and graphics designers to come up with something better instead of paying for those things? It's hardly Sacramento Republic or Indy Eleven or Charlotte Independence...

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buying authenticity.

Because if you start a new team, you are (apparently) plastic, but if you are the existing NPSL team, you are grassroots and all that is right with the world, even if you have only been around for an hour and a half.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  13. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are buying good will. Nashville FC, has done a lot as a supporter owned club, more than many thought they could ever achieve. They have been featured across the globe with media coverage, and very importantly, kept the sport alive.

You also have from what I remember, 1,500 paid members. These are your potential season ticket holders, there is no guarantee they come along for the ride, but odds are better if you offered to buy their club and give them some of what they had in the past.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16 xbhaskarx, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
    I can understand it for one of the few teams from the lower levels that has a really nice crest, like Detroit City or even Chattanooga (doesn't stand out but is well designed), but Nashville's is totally uninspiring.

Also is a fleur-de-lis really the best representation of the city of Nashville, why not put something music-related (I know their alternative logo is shaped like a guitar pick) on the crest?
    It's not Montreal / Louisville / St Louis / New Orleans / Detroit (small but present)... at some point don't we have to say enough is enough with fleur-de-lis soccer crests? There are three just in USL already!

And I'm still bummed that by far the best-designed one we've had is the one that's no longer in use:

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it is about the crest.

As for Nashville and the fleur de lis, well the French has a lot of influence in the early days of our country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Demonbreun

[​IMG]

Notice that object on top of the city flag.

Well there you go.

Colors are the flags as well.

===
    Hey! Check it out - the fleur de lis is in my logo as well. How cool is that?

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 xbhaskarx, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Hey check it out, I never said there was no connection between Nashville and the fleur-de-lis, I just don't think it's a great idea for every soccer team from a dozen cities across four divisions to all prominently feature it in their crests...

Every soccer team in France is literally in France (aside from Monaco), yet they don't all have the fleur-de-lis on their crests.... unique crests, how cool is that?

[​IMG]

17. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I seem to remember someone posting a crest design video that really emphasized using city flags for inspiration... The seat of New France was Quebec City and the territory stretched all the way down to New Orleans, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more fleurs in soccer crests in the future. Also, I really am a fan of the AC STL crest myself.

18. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
  19. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isnt the current crest supposed to be a "record"? That's music related without being obnoxious. A gut air pick would have been cool though.

20. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FootySkeptic repped this.
  21. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm less interested in the name (probably Nashville FC) and crest (maybe the current one or an updated version) as I am where the hell they intend to play.

panicfc repped this.
  22. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have loved to have been in the meeting where they came up with that particular bit of inspired genius.

Blando13 and DBR70 repped this.