PBP: Nashville @ 'Pids • Sat., Mar. 2 • 7:30pm • Apple TV Free

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Feb 29, 2024.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    We all know what happened at Portland to start the season so it would seem that the team and coaching staff need to figure things out quickly - they simply can't afford to get off to a slow start this season given the train wreck last season. Yes, there is a new head coach and a lot of new players, but really there needs to be results starting this weekend at the Dick.

Nashville comes in with three games under their belt, but two have been against CONCACAF opposition Moca from the Dominican Rep., who the won easily in both legs. In their MLS match last Sunday v RBNY they drew 0-0 with RBNY getting 17 shots off; five on goal.

I expect the Rapids' lineup to be unchanged with perhaps the exception of Larraz.

Lots of updates to the game day experience at DSPG for this season -
    https://www.coloradorapids.com/news/rapids-announce-updates-to-gameday-experience-for-2024-season

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  2. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    My game day experience will be watching the game on TV with a beer in hand and cat on lap. Which really bothers me, by the way. But I’m waiting until they become competitive to attend in person again.

1-1 tie, Ronin with the goal.

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See you in 2028?

4. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really excited about the home opener. The weather looks great and I think the offseason acquisitions are going to lead to a better team and a product on the field that will be more fun to watch. Sure, the game against Portland was a bad scoreline and there were mistakes that need to be cleaned up, but I was encouraged with some of what I saw. I think Vines is going to quickly return to his form when he finished with the Rapids. Bassett, Djordjie, Harris, and Navarro need more time to mesh and connect, but I think we will score more goals this year, particularly through attacks up the left side. I've always liked Larraz in his pre-injury appearances with Rapids and last year with Rapids 2. I don't know if he and Ronan are the ideal pairing inthe 4-2-3-1, however.
    I think the entire team and coaching staff are going to be extremely motivated to get all three points in this game, especially with difficult road games coming up. Nashville will make it difficult, probably playing a very defensive game with occasional counters against us. I'd like to see lots of goals, but I'm going to predict a late goal for a 1 to 0 Rapids win. Goal by Bassett.

rapidsmarc, TheWarmBurger and COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I'm actually still Bullish on the team. I think tomorrow night is a 3 point day, and a 2-0 victory for the good guys.

Now whether you think the good guys are Chris Armas, Zach Steffen, Cole Bassett, et al., or the Nashville FC Former Rapids 2010 Cup Winning Staff of: Gary Smith, Steve Guppy, Kosuke Kimura, and Matt Pickens

I'll leave that to you to decide.

6. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Now, in all seriousness. Nashville just played their 3rd game in 7 days, and tomorrow night will be their 4th over a 10 day period.

Hany Mukhtar and Sam Surridge are dealing with injuries.

They then have to turn around and play Miami in the Concacaf round of 16 on 3/7 (where I'm sure they are looking for revenge after last years League's Cup loss), play LA Galaxy in league play on 3/10, Miami in the 2nd leg of Concacaf 3/13, and then Charlotte in league play on 3/16.

That's 8 games in 24 days, 7 of which are in tournament play or against playoff caliber threats.

The 8th of those 8 games is against us.

If I'm Gary Smith, I'm not really wanting to put out a full strength lineup and having them play full tilt on the road against the worst Western Conference team (Nashville is East now), and at altitude. I'm dropping deep, trying to slow the game down, and grind this one out against one of the 'worst teams in the league.'

I know coaches and teams are 'supposed' to take each game as a winning opportunity - but lets be real. If there's ever a time for Nashville to have points able to be dropped, it's in this game - and Gary Smith knows this. It's a all around low-reward situation for the team.

And if there ever was a time for the Rapids to take it to someone and force a win, this is it.

rapidsmarc repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, implementing a low block, the likes of which we've shown a consistent inability to break down for at least two seasons?

COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Yep, exactly. Why bother doing anything else if I'm Nashville?

To that point, we actually had forced several chances against Portland when they were in their low block. If we can force a set piece, we have a good chance to score. If we go up 1-0, then that forces Nashville to come out of their block, and then we can punish them on the counter. Hence 2-0 for the good guys.

Unless, the 'good guys' are Nashville, who in their low block pull us out of position, hit us on the counter with the speedy Shaffleburg, and go up 1-0 on a miscue by the backline. Then we are forced to overcommit, they hit us on the counter again and its 2-0.

Either way, there's a very clear path to 2-0 for both teams tomorrow.

9. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good to me! It's what I'll be doing, but without any guilt since I'm in TN.

Sports Yak and AlbertCamus repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1 draw, goal by Mihailovic. I can't predict a win from this team until they show something, but Nashville is tired having a lot of games in their legs. I think its a rather drab affair but the Rapids actually get one fairly early, give the lead back, and then Nashville sits in a low block and accepts the draw and Colorado continues to be unable to break that down.

https://view-from-the-couch.blogspot.com/2024/03/for-joan.html

COMtnGuy, TheWarmBurger and rapidsmarc repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our refs today:

CR: Esteban Rosano - College ref, also seems to be active in the South Florida region. Done a few Open Cup games and US Development Academy games. No professional league matches that I could find.

AR1: Eric Del Rosario Gandara - No hits outside of his assignments last week

AR2: Chana Forstall - USL League One/MLS Next Pro AR

4th: DeShun Beard - USL/MLS Next Pro center and 4th

12. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anagram: Basset oar none

Sure, a T is missing, but it looks like Cole might have an off night.

JasonMa and pdid10 repped this.
  13. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    WarmBurger, I wrote earlier that I was going to drink a beer during the game. But I’d rather smoke what you’re smoking.

14. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Willis' stache makes me miss Price's beard. We need a player to step up in the facial hair game.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  15. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Unfortunately I don’t think anyone has got the ability. Keegan’s really the only one who shows facial hair game

16. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    A thundering header from Shaq Moore there! Great ball over the top to Harris, dangerous cross into the box, and a top notch finish by NSC to put the Rapids up 1-0!

JasonMa, AlbertCamus and Sports Yak repped this.
  18. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caution on Yapi seems unfair to me. The ball was there to be contested by both players.

19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    He was a little late.

20. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How was this game calling for Lewis?

21. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sadly prophetic

22. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That was a little kid handball. Honestly, a U6 penalty. “Now Jimmy, you have to use your feet. You can’t use your arm.”

23. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    this team can’t score!

2 goals for nashville but at least one was an own goal.

COMtnGuy, JasonMa and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  24. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your 2024 Rapids Golden Boot leaders: C. Harris, S. Moore!

COMtnGuy, m vann, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  25. jrowe13

jrowe13 Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Don't forget Sam Vines.

JasonMa, TheWarmBurger and AlbertCamus repped this.