NAR - Punishments Cut for Italian Clubs

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by wwnyc, Jul 25, 2006.

1. wwnyc

wwnyc Member

Sep 5, 2004
  2. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The only reason for me to me happy is that Luca Toni will not have to move clubs now. I used to watch Palermo's highlights because he was my favourite player in Italy, and then I checked out Fiorentina's scores when he moved there. :eek:

3. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Italian football is astonishingly corrupt.

Italian society is astonishingly corrupt.

4. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would have been very surprised to see justice carried out in Italy. They should just abolish the courtsystem and set up a formal caste system that states if you have X amount of money and above you can get away with these crimes etc.

Wasn't it last season genoa got relegated to serie C for something not this serious? Just disgusting. The Italian FA are like the Enron of soccer. The only difference was enron got called out when their story leaked, where as the italian club giants basically just got a couple of points docked.

Apparently Juve will be appealing this appeal, and will probably end up with no point deduction in B.

Am I the only one who feels that if you arent going to punish these teams for corruption, let's just let juve back to Serie A, reinstate them into the CL and lets have a competition again this year. The smaller, poorer teams still got screwed by the richer ones, so we might as well resume normality rather than wait a year for things to go back how they were.

5. NSadhu

NSadhu New Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    What a joke. Makes the Italian league, its officials and the tribunal look even more corrupt than before the scandal even happened.

6. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    slap on the wrist

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Was Dein involved with this? :confused:

hehe

8. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    don't let the door hit you on the way out

9. gothamite

gothamite New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    New York City, natch
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nice to see that they're not actually interested in fixing the culture of corruption that is Italian football.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just Teso's attempt to be funny while subtly trolling at the same time. It's cute, mildly amusing and yet rather sad....all at the same time.....kind of like that "bee girl" in the Blind Melon video.

11. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good point. This just looks terrible for Italian football.

12. Rungostar

Rungostar Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Seriously. I'd love to hear someone explain the discrepancy between punishment 1 and 2. Lazio going from 7 back in Serie B to 11 back in Serie A??? Either someone messed up royally in determining punishment 1, or as I imagine, corruption is harder to stamp out when the corrupt are punishing their corrupt brethren.

I actually wanted them to make Lazio play in Africa for a season. And make their fans go too. At least all the fascist ones.

A sad story ...

13. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a load of crap. These teams SHOULD be relegated, because the suits behind the teams defaced the game. If this were in America, this would be causing complete riots. I cannot understand how the Italian public puts up with this hypocrisy in their sport.

14. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what would an Italian team have to do to seriously get punished?

And why aren't fans of non-cheating teams losing their frigging minds over this? They are the ones who really were harmed by the cheating. Amazing.

15. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    they're not

most of these teams play to empty seats unless it's a derby. Juventus can't even sell out most of their CL games.

16. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Taken from the bbc page,

Am I correct in seeing that there aren't even any heavy fines added to this? Lost gate receipts from 1-3 games is hardly punishment.

Another point of note in the article is that Juve said they will continue to appeal even though a civil court if neccessary. What's the bet they win that appeal and end in serie a with a 20 point docking?

17. NSadhu

NSadhu New Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    What's shocking is that two teams, Treviso and Lecce, were promoted and relegated in the span of two weeks. Their fans must be loving life right now.

18. NSadhu

NSadhu New Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nobody would take that bet, because they'd lose, unlike Juventus, who will probably win Serie A again next season.

19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lost gate revenue? Juventus only draw fans when they play away from Turin. They'll probably play their first three home games in the Naples and Sicily and sell them out. I think this is the funniest part of Juve's punishment.

20. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  21. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    this is a joke, but who would expect any kind of justice coming out of Italian football anyway? Just goes to show how how deeply rooted corruption is in Italian culture.

22. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    does anyone really, truly care?

23. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, Juve is still pretty ********ed, and thats good enough for me.

24. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    I wonder what will happen if Chelsea Man Utd and Spurs were caught for match fixing?:rolleyes:

25. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    lifetime ban from the football league, probably.

fair play actually matters.