Napoli Serie A 2023/24 - defense of the Scudetto!

Discussion in 'Napoli' started by Jeremy Goodwin, May 4, 2023.

1. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    @Sacki

But the last 3 Napoli Managers (1 of which was not Italian) think the same way? I guess they could be all racist or it could be they know their players best when in need of a goal.

2. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    #1252 Sacki, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    The last 3 managers are old men with long history in the Italian league. Not racism but discriminative towards foreign players then. They, to me, don't project modern management style in their perhaps set ways of what Napoli should be.

Raspadori is now a winger for Napoli even though the club has recently signed two expensive wingers that are now rotting away on the bench.
    Maybe lindstrøm is not playing becauce the club is looking to offload him and fear further devalue with increased playtime, but why is Ngonge not the first name when we need to bring on a winger?

I know Ngonge was suspended today but it just feels like he is behind Raspadori when Politano or kvara needs a rest.

Whatever it is we as fans have seen enough of Raspadori and especially simeone coming on to aid kvara and osimhen. It just doesn't work and ruins the balance of the team completely. I'm in favour of giving these opportunities to fail to players that actually naturally play those positions/roles.

3. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I don't get your argument. Raspa scored minutes after coming on against Monza. He scored the winner against Juve. It's not a surprise he came on today when we needed a goal.

The problem is us. We signed Raspa never with a thought as to where to play him or how he would fit into this team.

4. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Let's be honest the goal against Monza fell perfectly for him, other than that he didn't really do much noteworthy. I don't recall how he played against Juventus but it's probably something similar. When he doesn't score or assist he offers nothing to the team. He is not making anyone better, nor does he solidify the midfield or create space for others with runs, etc - the job description of wing play or midfield does not suit him at all.

We signed him thinking he was similar to Mertens, but Mertens was a winger/cam who became a forward. Mertens was more suited because of his skillset.

5. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    This is boring me. We have had 3 different coaches this season. Nothing we do makes any sense. Let's just finish the season. Any player with a brain should leave, especially if we hire Conte.

6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lindstrom doesn’t get much playing time because he ********ing sucks and was a gigantic waste of money. Not because the managers are racist. What a pile of nonsense

We could have picked up Orsolini (Italian) who would have cost half and who is double the player

SF19 repped this.
  7. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ADL has authored a disasterclass on how to fail at the highest levels. The guy has no business running a team that has ambition to be on top. Constantly cutting corners and thinking you can get away with doing the absolute minimum. Out of all the owners in Italy, he has been the luckiest one and now his luck has run out. He needs to sell the club.

The team needs a hard reset. New coach. New players. Half the team needs to go

SF19 repped this.
  8. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Lindstrom has 1 start in Serie A, 0 in CL and 1 in Bundesliga this season. That amounts to starting a total of 1 important game for Napoli which just seems outrageous to me given he was the big summer signing.

Im not gonna sit here and argue how players we don't even own are better than our own. My argument was Lindstrøm and Ngonge should be the ones coming on when we take out a winger or even a number 10.

Raspadori and Simeone shouldn't play unless Osi is out or we play with 2 forwards. But clearly these 2 clowns are favoured on every role in attack. What is the explanation on that one? It's definitely not based on form, level, or how well they fill out that role, so it must be something else. There is definitely some favouritism going on, and I think it's based on how close players are to the culture of the league. It's definitely not nonsense, look at Natan.

9. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And when Lindstrom does hit the field what has he shown? The ability to dribble the balls into defenders and get dispossessed? What’s the more likely scenario : Lindstrom isn’t favoured by his 3 managers this season because he doesn’t cut it… or Lindstrom isn’t favoured by his coaches because they’re racist? (A white Nordic European). You should feel silly even asking the question.

People trying to dissect the problems of Napoli is a useless exercise. Most of the team is completely checked out.

10. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Calzona said his team didn't respond to the danger of lost possession. The 5 players in the middle aren't closing the spaces, blocking passing lanes. The team isn't tracking back as a unit.

IMO that's not the main issue. We are not scoring enough. We are not creating enough. To play this kind of football, you have to score. Sometimes to score it's not about tactics, it's about quality. Players need to believe in their own quality to try and do something spectacular. What I see are players afraid to do something special and we have a coach who has very limited ideas on how to move the ball in the opposition final third. It's almost like the players have to always figure out how to score. That seems clear to me from Calzona's halftime speech.

11. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    End of the season can’t come fast enough. I can’t watch this team play anymore. Completely joyless. Even the beating we gave Monza wasn’t satisfying

12. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    It's too much thinking on the players. I saw Crystal Palace score a goal on the weekend against Liverpool that was pure training ground routine. We don't do those things

13. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    #1263 Sacki, Apr 16, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    I elaborated it's a question of culture not actual racism. Color of his skin doesn't matter, it's cultural exclusion I'm reffering to - I'm only wondering if there could be something to it not believing it to be true.
    When have I said Lindstrom hasn't been shit? My argument was so have the others that come on instead of him even in a position(winger/cam) where he is the only option left on the bench. At least Lindstrom can make runs and has pace, which is something im missing from this team.

Trust me I know how terrible Lindstrom is. Even on the national team he is terrible, but he was one of the 3 best players 2 seasons ago. I even said before Lindstrom joined that he doesn't have the right mentality, he is to nice. His strength lies in runs into the box from the middle or halfspace. He is absolutely shocking getting the ball with his back to goal. He is not a top player like Kvara or Politano that can do almost anything a wingers should be able to in the modern game, but he does offer more pace and runs. He is also better than Toure and Cajuste as a number 10, but so is 95% of the players in Serie A tbf.

14. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Even if the players have checked out we shouldn't ignore if most of them are actually just playing at their level now. Someone like Anguissa is not gonna learn how to pass a ball next year, Rahmani won't learn how to defend, Rui won't grom 10 cm, Meret will not start commanding a box nor be better with his feet.
    Di Lorenzo might pick up his game, the others that should and can improve for next season wont be at Napoli (Osimhen, Zielinski).

I think Kvara and Lobotka are more hit by their circumstances rather than them not performing at a satisfactory level. They try, but the tasks asked of them look almost impossible with the way they are being set up. Kvara should maybe pass the ball more and Lobotka should stop making mistakes even though he doesn't make that many, but last season he made 0 which is a lot to ask for IMO.

Raspadori, Elmas and Simeone have contributed almost 0% compared to last season which is also a factor to consider.

Hopefully next season won't involve 2 star players that don't want to be at the club and have already made deals elsewhere.

15. Bedelcigil

Bedelcigil Member+

Aug 21, 2014
    Cyprus
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope we won't qualify for anything.It's better if we only focus and play for Serie A for the next season.

16. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except the five goals and four assists in 14 league starts, which compares favorably to Politano's 8 and 5 in 25 league starts.

Why do you hate Jack so much?

17. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don’t buy the cultural argument either especially when the number of foreigners in Serie A continues to go up. Coaches always play the hot hand or who they think can affect the game. Historically if any bias does exist in Italy it’s more towards experience over youth. But things are slowly changing on that front.

If you concede that Lindstrom sucks but he should play because of xyz technical reasons it’s like saying you’d like to exchange 1 dollar for 4 quarters

SF19 repped this.
  18. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    You don't have to hope. It's happened lol.

Bedelcigil repped this.
  19. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We are the worst defending champions since il grande Torino won it… they did terrible the next season because all their players died in a plane crash…

20. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    There might 6 Italian teams in the UCL next season and we won't be one of them.

indestructible repped this.
  21. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    To be honest, with Osimhen leaving, ADL being a cheap person, and Giuntoli have left, I don’t see you guys being successful at all even if you made the UCL.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ADL could get a lot of money for selling Osimhen and could buy other reinforcements.

23. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Will he choose good ones is the question though? Especially without Giuntoli, I don’t have much faith in ADL.

We saw what happened after he sold Kim, and he didn’t even want to give Spalletti a raise that he asked for.

ADL is a very cheap person and I feel he won’t cash in properly for good reinforcements.

24. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013

This guy has a good channel. Here he talks Manna and Conte.

Sacki repped this.
  25. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    He used to be much cheaper. Remember a time Sarri asked for Politano to seal the Scudetto. Inter got him and Napoli came second by like 5 points. That is definitely top 10 ADL cheap moments

SF19 repped this.