Review: Napoli 2023/24 Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Napoli' started by Ciro Di Marzio, Aug 30, 2023.

1. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Fully agree.

Ciro Di Marzio repped this.
  2. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Even ADL did not dare congratulate the team. Everyone criticized the game. The game was not a pass. Truly horrific. It just underlined how bad Garcia is.

3. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I know Garcia remains the biggest issue by far we all know this, but the Kvara struggles date back to last season. There's an issue going on, and like @indestructible said, we all hope it's just injury related.

4. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I did not call you an idiot. I said those attacking our players are.

When did I say Napoli is not good enough for second half of the table? Please don’t make things up. Your other comments are untrue too. Let’s not throw accusations.

My friend, one player Kim leaving is not the reason we cannot build the game. We have no longer triangles and short play. The ultimate culprit is ADL. He did not buy a defender, he got Meluso and Garcia. You know my view on him anyway.

But let’s take a step back now. If Kvara is bad, play Lindstrom, Raspadori or Elmas. But to say all players are bad in all games just 3 months after the title is not good enough.

Are the media and fans too harsh on Garcia? They are. But you have to see what we have and what he is ruining. The pressure will increase after Bologna.

If we convincingly beat Bologna playing great football I will come and apologize and shut up for a while.

But if we don’t then it is clear that’s Garcia is the problem as you cannot have game after game players underperforming.

And listen to his press conferences
    ‘We only focus on the next game’ but a week later he says ‘We drew because CL was ahead’

‘When you cannot win go for a draw’

‘Every coach would play with 6 men in defense’

5. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I totally disagree but then play Lindstrom, Raspadori or Elmas.

6. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Ok, if Garcia is the problem, who replaces him and solves are issues?

7. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Garcia inherited a team with no D, and that is a bigger issue than up front right now. They stink back there to be honest, and losing Kim was bigger than some want to admit. He might have to end up changing the shape, structure, and formation of this team soon. A 4-3-3 with this type of defending just doesn't work.

As for Kvara, yes one has to admit he's not playing world class football, and hasn't dating back to last season under Spalletti. Not saying it's not correctable, but facts are facts. Some here are way too defensive when it comes to players. Yes the manager has failed so far with continuity, but I've seen some poor play at times from guys on the pitch. Labotka is one who seems to punch his card in and get to work each match, as well as our captain.

As is, this is the manager's job to fix one way or another.

Euphorius Thor repped this.
  8. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I didn't say bench him. Maybe move him around more to shake the marking. Putting him out there each match and waiting for him to figure things out is what is being done now. Have to be patient since he's still young.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW Ii Mattino is now blaming Paolo Rongoni.

SF19 repped this.
  10. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Maybe they can unlock Kvara with playing Rui again.

11. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Bring back Koulibaly! He was a great defender!

12. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rudi Garcia shouldn't be sacked until there's someone better (and realistic) to be brought in. He's had 2 months. Yes, he took over the champions of Italy but without the best CB in the league.

Having Kim in our team allowed us to press further forward. Garcia can't play the way Spalletti set the team up to because of the job Kim did. Also, everyone was at or near the top of their game - They clearly aren't right now.

Euphorius Thor and tripwire repped this.
  13. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    That's why I say he might need to shake the structure up. You can't play a 4-3-3 successfully on a consistent basis with Jesus, Ostigard, and Rahmani back there. All of them are lost without a true strong defender playing beside them.

14. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    I remember very well the mood of last preseason, and I am pretty sure that you were one of the protagonists in the negative prognoses, but I may be wrong. If so, I apologize.

I am not overprotective of Garcia, I could not care less to be honest. But this is nuts, players cannot be exonerated with impunity. They are also on the team, it is not like they don't exist.

All factors have to be considered, as tactics can also be influenced by the form of the players, not just vice versa. Look how we performed at the end of last season, Spal could have invented as many stratagems as he would have, yet we were lost. And so we still are, only now we have no defence as opposed to last season, and 8 or 9 players out of form.

It is not like last season all was down to the genius of the coach. I clearly remember goals we scored that had nothing to do with tactics, but rather the unbelievable skill of our players. Many of those were won by 1 goal. Many of those involved Kvara fooling 4 players and just scoring, or an unbelievable volley from Osi, or a shot from an almost 90 degree angle from Osi.

Now Garcia can rely on Braga's defence passing the ball to Osi to a 1on1 position with the GK for whatever reason, only to see Osimhen not score it...

Ciro Di Marzio and tripwire repped this.
  15. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    We also need to put away chances. Kim was good, but replaceable. We really should have signed a couple of good CBs and CMs. We were linked to Danso, Le Fee, Viega... it's not like we weren't looking and IMO all of these guys would have been very good pick ups.

16. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is the right question and the big problem.

17. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Teams score and miss chances. These things swing. The point are performances. I don’t even care about results. We have no game plan. It is high ball and find Osimhen. That was his tactics in Lille and Roma as well. Find Gervinho. The guy is just limited.

18. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was against ADL in preseason but totally backed him when we got Simeone, Ndombele, Raspadori and felt it was a good summer, even said it was very smart. I only questioned Raspadori.

Regarding players my argument is this

1. We cannot blame all players after all games. At some point it must be the system

2. Look at Lobotka. He is fighting. His tackles are great. But he looks lost

3. look at past Garcia teams and similar problems existed

I just don’t know from what to draw optimism.

Results aside have you enjoyed the football this year? What has gone wrong? To blame all on Kim is too simple. No?

19. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was definitely incredibly critical of ADL last summer and believed that our time challenging for the scudetto was over.

Thankfully I was proven wrong.

Undeniably, we've taken a step back until/unless Natan proves he can be a top Serie A CB which may not be this season or next as he's still so young.

20. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    Actually, I did enjoy some parts of the game to the last degree. My least enjoyable games with Napoli I can remember were the end of last season. But I did not really care that much, as noone did. I really loved us in the 1st half against Lazio, it was like there was only one team on the pitch, against a top team. After that, we showed a lack of stability, which I believe can be down to more things than just the coach right off the bat.

21. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Atleti beating Real 3-1. We have good reason to believe we can beat them Oct-3.

22. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Madrid on Wednesday, can the squad hang four on them?

23. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Their midfield is powerful

24. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it's TUESDAY. I thought yesterday was Sunday.

25. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Napoli vs Real Madrid in 2 days, I can't wait.

Rossonero23 repped this.