Review: Napoli 2023/24 Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Napoli' started by Ciro Di Marzio, Aug 30, 2023.

1. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Kvara a weak shot after a weak decision

2. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    FT

Left two points on the table. What an awful result

3. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Garcia is the least talented napoli manager in history

4. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Rasp and Kvara disappointing efforts

D was weak on the goal given, but that's their usual

Embarrassing result overall

Euphorius Thor repped this.
  5. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    18 corner kicks 24 shots and just 5 shots on target and an xg of 1.53; only 0.33 more than one of the worst performing teams in Europe.

No more excuses Garcia needs to go

Edit:
    The stats were even more embarrassing in Berlin with an xg of 0.2 and 1 shot on target.

6. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Napoli don't look like a team that can win the CL
    @SF19

7. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    Hh, so a player can't shoot with enough power to get to the goal and it is on the coach. Never would have figured that out, not even when I was playing professionally. In fact, we used to blame ourselves for those things, quite harshly even.

tripwire repped this.
  8. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    So in no shape or form is it a priority to close the opponent down? They had 15 shots and 6 on target. A team that allow that against Union Berlin, who have lost 12 games in a row, tells the tale of a very badly managed team.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Puts a lot of pressure on the braga game. Even Europa isn't guaranteed by this result.

10. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    OK what? Since when were they UCL favorites? They’re good but they’re not a Top team that’s UCL favorites.

11. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Bonucci showed today he still has it. We are not as strong without Osi.

Man City and Real favs to win. Bayern maybe too. Everyone else needs a hope and prayer.

12. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I didn't see the game live and I'm only watching it now. That goal Anguissa scored that was chalked off for a foul by DiLo could have stood. I think ref was too harsh on that one. It was a great play from Rui, DiLo and Anguissa. It looked like something Garcia worked on that training ground.

13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    More of the same. Union figured us out. We are too predictable. Can't get clear sight of the goal. They put numbers in the box and snuff us out.

IMO we should trust ourselves to go more for the spectacular. We are too by the book sometimes. The guys shouldn't be afraid to show they have quality.

Kvara, for example, had a great chance in the 82nd minute. He took a tame shot on goal at the top of the box. He should have carried it into the area. His strength is beating players, so beat them and keep beating them. Dribble the keeper, too.

That was a lesson Maradona took after he played England in a friendly in the early 80s. He made a run from his half, just like he did at the '86 WC, but in the friendly he took a shot the moment he had an opening to do it at the top of the box and the keeper saved it. The next time he played England, in the '86 WC, he didn't shoot the ball from the top of the box, he committed the keeper with a dribble and had an empty net to shoot at.

14. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    BTW Union lost their last 12 games. We really should have beaten them.

15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    thats football IQ, not everyone has that.

SF19 repped this.
  16. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    What I wanted to say is that I am sure Rudi did not tell his players: "Okay boys, so defend with only the goalkeeper, just don't give a f..., that is how we roll." If you have ever played football, you will pay attention to what the players said after the game, and you can clearly deduce from those statements that they themselves do not understand what happened.

I think what happened is that they wanted a lot, they wanted to prove the critics wrong, they wanted to take that corner too fast, had no time to regroup, and no ********ing coach in existence can do anything about that. Even greater teams than ours have done that a million times.

17. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    DiMarco showed his class today. That's what separates the Champs.

18. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    FWIW Vini Jr is out injured for our game. He was a menace.

Retrosword repped this.
  19. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    Sometimes life is just good, and so it is now for Walter. First we win a game of 3 or 4 real chances because the gk decided to gift us a goal, yet he is credited with who knows what after 1 game because that is what victories do. Now he will not have to face Bellingham, and on top of that, RM is facing other injuries.

Personally, I am happy for him, but if we do not win tomorrow, things could get tricky for him as well easily.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  20. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Bellingham definitely out? On the 11th they were saying two weeks for the shoulder.

A single point today won't definitely get us through unless Union beats Braga.

21. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    Sorry, I wanted to write Vinícius Jr... Bellingham will most probably play. Let us see what we can do here. We were actually pretty impressive in the 1st game, considering the facts. Our quality showed in our performance as a team, their goals were basically the genius of Vini and Bell. The only real individual highlight on our end that I remember was Di Lo gifting the ball to the opposition, but that is in the negative. He mentioned it in his pre-match conference, I am sure such an error can hardly be forgotten, as it was his negligence and nothing more. I wish him all the best in this match, let us hope he assists to erase it, or even scores.

22. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Vinicius is confirmed out from the team sheets, along with Camavinga and Modric who were also problems for us.

Cautiously optimistic.

23. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Belly new zizou.
    Is he actually english??

24. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By any reasonable standard. He was born in England as was his father.

I wonder if he can sustain this level.

25. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Weak

SF19 repped this.