Name Poll: Plan B, Final Round

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Z010 Union, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whosyourjockey11

whosyourjockey11 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    I really think the us doesn't get the whole name thing. I don't think the philadelphia name has to be included we could go with Chester FC or whatever town it is in. That is how the premier league works and why there are like 5 teams in london alone. If you want to expand the league like maybe having two teams in nyc then we need to start doing this. Also the colors are ok but I would prefer dark blue and Green and maybe a little grey or white. Like the old whalers colors they are great.

2. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but AC Philadelphia is really stupid.

3. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we say "AC Philadelphia", are we saying "Athletic Club" or "Associazione Calcio"? Either way, I do agree, and I stick by Philadelphia Athletic as my top choice.

4. americanmiddy

americanmiddy New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia Athletic sounds better then any of the other cheesy names. It flows well and makes sense. Now for colors, I was thinking we take the sons of bens colors and darken them a bit, to make it a blue yellow and silver theme.

5. N-I-C-H-O

N-I-C-H-O New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus if it was AC Philadelphia we couldn't us the Wild Rover chorus.

6. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically, my opinion is exactly the polar oposite of yours. I think Philadelphia Athletic sounds horrible and increadibly cheesy. It just is really odd to have the term "athletic" hanging out there, an adjective that modifies nothing.

To me, it just sounds horribly awkward and doesn't flow at all.

To me, as silly as crap names like "Burn" and "Mutiny" sound, just using "Athletic" without having a noun being modified ("team"? "club"? "players"? What exactly is it that is "athletic"?) sounds worse.

I like AC Philadelphia (if we want to go the "homage to the Atheltics route") a thousand times better. I still think it's too Europoseur, but at least it makes sense.

7. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SSB, Just curious, would you have disliked the baseball name "Philadelphia Athletics" for the same reasons (if you could put yourself back in year 18-dickity)? If it has any effect, the team name was also known as Athletic of Philadelphia, so there is precedent. I know I'm quoting from Wikipedia, which is hardly an esteemed source, but they go on to say..."Athletic of Philadelphia is a compromise that contemporary readers would understand as an abbreviation for something like Athletic Base Ball Club of Philadelphia, in distinction from clubs of the same name in other cities." Don't know if this adds anything to the internal debate raging in your mind.

8. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Steve was kidding about that, silly pants.

9. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Retracted! :eek:

10. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think "Philadelphia Athletics" is fine. Athletics is a noun and makes sense for a team name.

I think "Philadelphia Athletic Baseball Club" is fine. Athletic is an adjective modifying "baseball club".

In the case you are talking about, "Athletic of Philadelphia" is simply shorthand for a real full name. I'd have slightly less problem if the name of a new MLS club were "Philadelphia Athletic Club" or "Philadelphia Athletic Soccer Club" and it were abbreviated to "Philadelphia Athletic". I still think it sounds silly though and probably so did the people of yore -- hence why the name eventuially evolved to a much more reasonable sounding "Philadelphia Athletics".

Anyway, what I really have a problem with is the name being "Philadelphia Athletic" and just that. Athletic is a freaking adjective -- it needs something to modify and sounds stupid otherwise.

Again, I realize this is just an opinion and YMMV. I just really dread the idea of seeing the team name be "Philadelphia Athletic" and I think that the awkwardness of the name would hurt the public perception of the team, even if it appeals to Eurocentric fans.

11. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one point of contention I have is that the team name "Athletics" somehow makes more sense because it is a noun (because it was derived from Athletic of Philadelphia by the Newspapers for shorthand). You would have to explain to me what a singular "Athletic" is since they weren't basing it off of "Athletics", that is to say the noun of sports, exercises, and activities.

12. The Sasquatch

The Sasquatch New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Lancaster PA
    Okay first off, I'm new to the boards...

I'm a DC United supporter but if Philly gets this team, I will switch my allegiance and be a lifetime ticket holder of a Philly MLS Team.

Secondly, I don't like AC Philadelphia. As a worldwide soccer fan, I think that we DON'T want to look like a cheesy knock off. You KNOW that AC Philadelphia will look like we're just trying to copy Milan. Like, Real Salt Lake is the worst name in MLS. Even though there are like, 5 "Real" teams (probably more), it just looks like an attempt to be like Real Madrid. Philadelphia FC is better just because of how simple it is. "FC" is pretty much a universal thing concerning futbol teams. Just my opinion. I do like AFC Philadelphia. That F in there does make a difference I think. I understand the name should connect to universal soccer...I just think AC Philly is trying way too hard.

Thirdly, I noticed the one dude on here has a shamrock w/ the team colors as his avatar. Aside from a strong latin identity, will this team have a strong Irish identity as well? That would be really cool. There are millions of Irish Americans in this country, it'd be great to have a team that we can identify with!
    thanks
    Andy.

13. sccaflagger74

sccaflagger74 Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Media, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope the team doesn't have a strong Irish identity. There are lot's of us who aren't Irish of origin and I don't think it would be a good idea to alienate us right off the bat. Philly is too diverse to cater to one group.

In this case the 4 leaf clover being used on the shirts to show our Philadelphia identity, hence our singing of 4 Leaf Clover. Are they Irish at their roots? Sure, but thanks to the mummers they are Philadelphian now.

14. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm Scot/Swede. I dig the song for a supporters song.

15. N-I-C-H-O

N-I-C-H-O New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This raises an interesting point. How many of us are Irish or of Irish decent? Because I was under the impression that there was a large number. Myself included.

16. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Niko McStefanopolous

17. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your body is 51% Tullamore Dew, by volume, does that qualify you as Irish?
    Not that that would apply to anyone here... I was just wondering... hmmm?
    ;)

18. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He DRINKS like an Irishman.

And he holds it like a German.

19. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eff why pee

20. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was eating grass? :eek:

iy thawt yu wur spozed tu smoak id! :confused:
    Dummee mee.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am only Irish on St Patricks Day when we make Green Mash for the kiddies.

So is the Philly Irish FC the Plan B name now? I am a little lost on the point of this thread...

22. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are we.
    So, what's new?
    You've been here before, you know how we work.
    Drunken Irishmen can't follow threads!

23. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has "Philadelphia Firm" been considered?

24. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I'm not just firm, baby, I'm Philadelphia Firm!"

We'd have to change our name from Sons of Ben to Little Blue Pills.

25. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'll come to the tailgates as Neo.