Myths of Big Soccer...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by aosthed, Oct 19, 2004.

1. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    A few of my favorite "myths" that are passed as truths on big soccer, in no particular order (feel free to add to the list AND flame away):

1. MLS is "worthless" UNLESS it is "worldclass" - too many posts rely on the concept that if superstars or worldclass talent isn't in the MLS it is somehow less entertaining/worthy/meaningful/whatever... Competitive Rivalry, Fan Support, and "Beautiful" soccer can be played on ANY level. To borrow from another sport, NCAA football for me is much more entertaining to watch/follow than the NFL - more passion frankly. Somehow if the MLS is a "farm" league that develops talent that gets bought by other league - this somehow diminishes the quality of the product. This thought is so stupid because it is inversely true (Sale of Players INDICATES Increase Quality of Talent)... it's like telling USC they're no good because too many of their players get drafted by the NFL and they're no fun to watch because there IS a higher league they go on to - ala the NFL!

2. High Scoring means High Entertainment - while this is sometimes true, it is by no means always true. Scoring chances, pace, intensity (not exactly the same as pace), is what makes games great! I've sat on the edge of my seat for MANY 1-0 games that were riveting (e.g. from the last WC a couple examples - Sweden/England in group play and England/Argentina... both low scoring affairs but nailbiting for both sets of fans).

Just a couple of my favorites... hopefully more will be added to the list. Let the flames begin...

2. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Here's a few more...
    3. It's important that MLS do certain things so that it can be "taken seriously" by people in other parts of the world, usually someplace in Europe. Does anybody really give a rats ass what Joseph Sixstein in Austria thinks about MLS? Does he even know MLS exists?
    4. Players who are in Europe are automatically better than players still in the US. Did Clint Mathis somehow magically get better when he started playing there? Seems like the same old Mathis to me. And anybody who has seen Conor Casey stumble around the field for the USMNT team would have to question that assumption, since Conor is a starting forward for one of the hottest teams in Germnay. Sometimes average Americans in Europe turn out to be average in MLS. Strange how that is.

Sorry I was rushed and had to correct my spelling.

3. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I know that one is a myth--who is this Kurt Mathis you speak of? I have never heard of him. ;)

4. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The best thing that I learned though is to just ignore them. They are just trying to bait us MLS fans. The more defensive we become to their remarks, the more credible you make their arguments. Try to ignore them. Eventually they will see the the MLS for what it is worth.

5. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Kurtis Mathis?? Sounds Mythical to me..

6. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    That Mike Seagroves is Huss's sockpuppet.

That there realy IS a secret covert conspiricy to keep the metros from winning any trophies ever.

That Iranian's have crazy rap skills.

7. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    Chivas will ruin MLS

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas will do whatever they want and discriminate agaiinst white people.

9. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    Having a two conferences rather than a single table is keeping MLS from international popularity.

10. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I thought that the myth was that Mike Seagroves is Jim Rome's sockpuppet?

:D

11. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    METRO PLAYOFF FEVER isnt the best marketing slogan ever!

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The biggest myth I keep seeing is that a promotion/relegation system should be set up in the US. Insane. There's just no way, unless the A-league makes an enormous leap in skill level/attendance/quality of stadia and fields/coaching level/etc. Syracuse had a shot at winning the A-league this year. I hope you all got to see a Syracuse game on FSW, then any mention of promotion/relegation would quickly be extinguished.

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, relegation.
    Soccer will never succeed/be taken seriously without it. hate that one.

but the biggest, all-encompassing myth, is that anything Europe does is automatically better than the way MLS does it.

14. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    I am NOT a Eurosnob,
    I love the MNT
    I enjoy watching MLS. (Note I didn't write "the MLS")
    Many MLS players are exciting, creative and talented.
    Many MlS players should be thanking their God that they have a job.
    MLS is NOT a talented league.
    But, year by year we're getting better.

As I see it.

15. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Until you point out that Europe breaks one of the sacred "rules" of naming/league format/etc... then MLS needs to be "American"/"Unique"/"Original"...

16. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    60-90 days actually means 60-90 days.:rolleyes:

17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, no, that's the MetroStars front office myth.

On BigSoccer, 60-90 means total sarcasm :)

18. somaside

somaside New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    killumbus o-hi-er
    myth...the person who created this post didn't contradict himself over and over...

americosnob!

19. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Your right...

That is what I wanted to say. When I posted that post I was burning the midnight oil and half asleep. :)