My ten cents

Discussion in 'England' started by Step-Over, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Issues of race seem to be always a sensitive issue, as this is evident on any forum in which this matter comes up (i.e. yahoo forum or the length of “Racist Spanish Scum” thread in this site). The discussions of the previous thread seems to be divided into two major parts, contemporary issues which entails the modern issues of race and politics, and personal anecdotes. The second division has to concern with the past. Let’s then, commence, in the past.

What Aargone started, by invoking England’s colonial and imperial history –by default- implicates not only England, but also Spain. One has to remember; Spain –as well as Portugal- began the trafficking of black African slave trade as early as the seventeenth century. In addition, their biggest “consumers” (as this tag dehumanizes), most particularly, were the English, the Dutch, the French, and amongst others, the colonies of Americas (which by geographic designation includes modern US). Yes, the English were deeply racist –in relation to early twentieth first standards of cultural sensitivity- but so were the Spanish. However, the Spanish coach’s remark should make us aware of the history of xenophobia that existed, and still exists- in some places in Europe, as well as the rest of the world. In addition, xenophobia, racism or ethnocentrism exists in all places.

On Wednesday evening, specifically three individuals, because of their difference of physical makeup to the majority of the rest of the attendance, were jeered for the reasons specifically of their outer appearance. Those remarks towards Wright-Phillips, Cole, and Jenas, than by definition are racist, as a racist gesture by definition implies a demarcation of difference “by physical appearance” of “’racial’ distinction.” Who did the jeering, as stressed by our Spanish contingent within this forum and as others, is by a few. However, racism, implicates ALL OF US. Couple years back, I went to South Korea and Japan to the World Cup. There, I witnessed blatant racism toward white Europeans, as some places wouldn’t serve food or cabs stopping to “hooligan foreigners.”

I must say, as an academic, the thread has created great fodder for research into such issues that most people find disinterested. The length of this thread made me realize, how issues like race is a sensitive matter as a discourse for the “general public.” In the end, these discussions, or the idea that these discussions took place, are a sign of relief: that people are willing to talk about it, than covering it up.

2. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    Sorry, but are you suggesting that everyone is racist? Or just responsible for racism through not doing enough about it? Either way, an accusation this serious shouldn't be made without clarification and justification.

Did you mean to say "racism affects all of us"? This would make more sense in the context of that paragraph.

3. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Pazarius, that is what I meant.