My own speculation about Howard

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Davids26, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolton are the most diverse team in the EPL but could Borghetti and Howard survive on the same squad? A Yank and a Mexican international working to accomplish a goal together, some around here would have a heart attack :)

Seriously, if it does boil down to Bolton selling their GK it could serve Bolton well to look at Timmy. Probably could be a good fit for both. Wishful thinking.

3. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I just wonder how long Tim is going to be cool with being the number 2 at Man U... What if after VDS leaves, they still go out and get someone else? Will his time with the club be wasted? At some point he needs to move on and just get first team matches... There's no shame in going to a team not named Man U if it means getting playing time. After the WC he has to think about persuing this, because he will be the #1 and we can't have him wasting away at Old Trafford much longer.

As for Borgetti, I'd love to see he and Gooch end up on the same team somehow... Ha.

4. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't think Bolton will get rid of Jussi until the summer. Bolton are solidly in a UEFA cup slot and could be threatening for a play-in spot for the CL. Their keeper has been a big part of that and I think they will keep him for the season. Going into the summer they'll know if they are in one of those competitions and can use the money they'll get from participating plus the sale to find a new keeper. Could be Howard, who wouldn't be a bad fit, or it could be someone else. I just don't see it happening in January. Another shot for Howard is on a team that gets promoted and wants an upgrade. Maybe Reading trades in one yank for another.

5. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading would never trade Marcus for Timmy, ever. Why trade a guy who's been so reliable and so good for someone with so many question marks who hasn't gotten a real game in forever?

6. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you guys forget that first season Howard had at Man Utd before he 'lost his confidence'. If you say that that Howard is not one of the better in the EPL then you mistaken, that first at least half a season he made many great saves. Perhaps he is not better than the vastly experianced van Der Sar, but surely Marcus.

Although I will be the first to admit I haven't watched Marcus much and when it was only the USMNT so I cannot say much but I can't imagine that, technically and physically, he is better than Howard.

7. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I can't imagine a situation where if VDS leaves, ManU does NOT go out and get another #1 keeper.

Folks, Howard is done as a starter at ManU.
    He's had too many blunders, I can't imagine a sitaution other than an injury to VDS in February that gives him another lengthy spell as first choice at the club.

i like Tim Howard, but if he wants to play regular first team ball, I think he needs to move to another team.

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sadly think your correct. Too bad it didn't work out for him, but does anyone remember Big Brad at 'pool?

9. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Fulham's starting keeper went down yesterday, and their back-up doesn't look too convincing. Maybe a short-term loan is in order.

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Not a chance, unless United pick up another keeper in the transfer window as cover. If they do that, then Tim is truly finished at United.

He is still very young for a keeper. We have no idea what is said to him internally, and if he wants to ride it out for another year or two to get a shot, there is nothing wrong with that.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

A short term loan with a recall provision is possible, and wouldn't "mean" anything other than that SAF is sympathetic to Howard's desire to get game action and Fulham has a need for a keeper.

But it's a loan within the EPL. Keller went to Southampton last year, but that's because they had at least 2 keepers injured, and, IIRC, were down to a youth player. I don't think the powers that be will allow a short term loan so long as Warner doesn't get hurt too. It'll have to be for the duration of the year or nothing. Which means, nothing.

12. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is still a problem as United have Ben whats hisname out on loan, and I don't think Luke Steele is up to EPL level. Sotherefore, what happens to United if VDS gets injured in game? Put Rooney in goal?

Thats why I don't think Tim would be loaned out this year.

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Another possibility. Esp since I'm not overly convinced of a healthy Crossley. Howard would be an improvement at Fulham, would love to see it happen, but almost certainly it will not.

One thing I'll say about Fulham's backup, anyone notice how freaking far he could kick and throw the ball?

14. dc 1sided

dc 1sided New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Virginia
    Yeah, his first throw was a bullet on a line to McBride at half field, I definitely noticed that.

15. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Sorry but it's time to stop this misconception.
    Tim Howard is 26 years old (will be 27 in 3 months). He's been a pro for a number of years- joined MLS in 1998 so has 7 years of experience.

Tim isn't old as far as keepers go, but he is no long "very young".
    Matter of fact, he's quickly getting out of the young tag which implies he just needs seasoning.

I think Tim is very good adn has the potential to be great. But the reason keepers are in their primes from their mid 20s to mid 30s is because of experience. Tim isn't getting that now. He needs to find a place to play in my personal opinon, if he wants to improve. I'll caveat this with, if he's happy where he is, there is nothing wrong with that. He can make a darn good living as a backup keeper.

16. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    You are making my point. Why on earth would Fulham want him on loan if he is the solid No. 2 at MUFC, AND he can be recalled in a flash?

Luke Steele, 21 years old with little experience, is behind Howard. That means that fulham could have a big match coming up on a Wed., Van der Sar tweaks a hamstring on Saturday, and the Cottagers are screwed.

It won't happen.

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    That is why I qualified my statement with "for a keeper." Field players hit their absolute statistical prime at 28. Keepers often don't even get the chance to be a regular until that age, and often have another good decade left in them.

If Tim WANTS to stay at United, I would advise him to do just that. Then if he hits 28 and it doesn't look like he is getting into the first spot, he can go somewhere that needs a first choice and still have a couple of years to get into the WC 2010 picture.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did Southampton take Kasey Keller last year, under the exact same conditions?

Because they had no other choice.

The main thing is, this is against the rules. Fulham could get an exemption if Warner got hurt, like S'hampton did. Otherwise, forget about it.

19. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    But he's not "very young for a keeper".

20. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    because he's better than what they have now... Why on earth wouldn't they?

21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And -as much as i like TH as a long-time Metro fan/follower....... by the same token, i'd advise him to be under no illusions that he will be handed a spot in the roster to Germany ... which he gave the impression of doing in an interview....
    where apparently he thought that by virtue of wearing a ManU jersey he deserved better....

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't he older than Petr Cech and Casillas? Close anyway.

23. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Actually, 3 years older than Cech, 2 years than Casillas.

Again, he's got years ahead of him for sure. But to refer to him as very young is just wishful thinking.

24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Because the transfer window is about to open, and they can likely go get themselves a solid keeper that won't be subject to an immediate recall on the whim of one of their rivals. If they want Howard, I would guess that they would put in a bid to purchase him.

As to the whole "very young" thing, fine. I'll amend my original statement to "he's still young for a keeper." When he initially signed with United, if someone would have told him he would be number two, with a shot at the number one spot by the time he is 28, I think he -- and most of us -- would have been satisfied.

With the timing of things, however, he got his shot a bit early. That was perhaps not the best thing. His shortcomings were fairly obvious. They are watching those in the rewerves, and if he stops making the mistakes and continues to make the big saves, he will eventually get his shot.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they do this to cover for a short term injury???

Folks, we all need to settle down. This digression started because Crossley got hurt and Warner looked rusty. Does anyone know the extent of Crossley's injury? No? OK then.