My Moritz Volz story

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Brodo, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    It's a small world isn't it.

I got friendly with a bunch of people from another message board and we met up in France for a week last year. There were Australians, Americans, Scots, English, Swedes, French and Dutchies.

One girl, from Amsterdam, told me that her cousin played for Arsenal. I thought about this, Bergkamp was the only Dutchman we had playing and it wasn't him. Then I realised that her surname was Volz. Her father had left Germay to escape the Nazis and had gone to Holland.

Some weeks later I was in my local pub on the northern outskirts of London when I was introduced to a guy who lives in Siegen in Germany called Peter Volz, the father of Moritz. My slow moving brain eventually twigged that this made him the girl's uncle.

The converstion went something like this:

Me: I know your niece in Amsterdam
    Peter: I don't think so
    Me: Yeah - her name is Anne
    Peter: No, I don't think so
    Me: Well, do you have any family living in Amsterdam
    Peter: Yes, my brother lives there
    Me: Does he have a daughter
    Peter: Yes, he does
    Me: What's her name then?
    Peter: Anne
    Me: Well that'll be her then won't it!!

He's been over a few times since then. He loves his pint in the pub and I think we've at last got the concept of buying rounds into his head. He phones me from Germany whenever Fulham are playing to find out the latest score!

2. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Is Moritz sharper than Peter, I hope?

3. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Wow. Well hopefully he can play defence huh?

4. goonerooni

goonerooni Member

May 21, 2003
    Hertfordshire
    Hows he doing?

Does anyone know how Moritz Volz is doing at fulham?

I dont know about the bigger picture but he was their man of the match against fulham. It basically said in the paper its a shme they cant sign him permanent.

Did he play at old trufford? how did he do?

5. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    Re: Hows he doing?

He played extremely well against the Mancs. Mind you he was up against their One Trick Pony!! Generally he's playing well for Fulham. He's the only overseas player to be selected for the German unde 21's