My Gazza Moment.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mkpage, Jul 29, 2002.

1. mkpage

mkpage Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Alexandria, VA
    Since he seems to be the hot topic these days, I figured I'd share a brief recap of my evening after Saturday's game.

If you had decided to head for the Capitol Lounge after the NE game, then you probably know all about the team hanging out at the bar downstairs. But if you didn't go, then you missed out on an excellent chance to talk to Gazza.

Since the game was crap, my friends and I decided to further drown our sorrows at the Cap Lounge. Knowing we'd be treated to drink specials (the RFK PA system told us we would), we figured what the heck. What we didn't realize was that most of the team would be there.

I took the opportunity to introduce myself to Paul as he was heading towards the bar. We had a brief conversation that included among other things the team's lack of luck in finishing, the nearsightedness of the ref, whether Cap Lounge was a "football" bar, and my trip to Sunderland to see the Black Cats play the Toon Army.

A little later, after Gazza had taken up his pearch near the bar, I figured it might be worth presenting him with a "gift" - a pefectly poured pint of Newcastle Brown Ale. Gazza seemed a bit surprised by the fact that I was giving him an actual pint of Newcastle (perhaps he believed the rumors that you couldn't find a decent ale in the backwater sticks of DC). What happened next was completely unexpected. Gazza reached for his pocket and pulled out a wad of cash. My first reaction was, "you don't need to pay me for the beer," but that's not why he was reaching for his money. Gazza asked for my name and he then proceeded to autograph one his dollar bills for me, wishing me best of luck and a "cheers mate."

Even if he doesn't end up with United, which I think he will, I'll always have the memory of Saturday night (and the dollar bill) to remember.

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    So you have a brilliant footballer, yet recovering alcoholic, about to join your team and you buy him a beer? :)

3. saroccer

saroccer New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Atl/Kabul
    I was thinking the same thing :)

You couldn't buy him an o'douls or something? ;)

Anyway, welcome Gazza!

4. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Other reports have him doing shots so the pint sounds like it was a good thing!!

5. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    I too went to the Cap Lounge after the game and was really psyched to see Paul Gascoigne there. He did look like he had a drink or two in him. But he did kiss me on both cheeks (of my face) and then told me that I "need a shave, mate".

Good times, good times....

6. saroccer

saroccer New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Atl/Kabul
    oh dear, sounds like he needs a chaperone.

7. mick12

mick12 New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    Newcastle
    since were talkin about gazza moments, ill tell you about mine a few year ago. Since i come from the same place as Gazza, you were always likely to see him hangin' about the place. Anyway i was in a bar (i was about 12 by the way, but boy that lemonade is strong when your young), gazza was at one table with his mates, and on the table next to him were a few young lads talkin about a night out when one of them said they didnt have enough money to go out. Gazza proceeded to give him £100 and told him to have a nice night. Later on that night when we were going home, Gazza jumped in our taxi and came to ours for the night where he got rat arsed. What can i say, he may be an alcy but what a bloke, i still got a load of autographs he signed for me.

8. forza rangers

forza rangers New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    glasgow
    fav gazza moment

my fav gazza moiment is this-
    1-0 down to aberdeen needing 3 points to win the league gazza pops up at the edge of there box bets a couple of players BANG in the net 1-1
    2nd half about 10-15 mins to go rangers are struggling, its a rangers shy in our on half gazza gets the ball runs about 65 yards passing about 5 of there players, into the box BANG 2-1 here we go
    5 mins leftrangers player brought down in the box ,penalty, who take it ?gazza, BANG 3-1 hat-trick ,league championship in the bag'
    genius absulute genius