my future

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by erick, Oct 1, 2008.

1. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

where did you take this because we have to take the AP history and we dont break it up like Us history and european History?

2. Semi-Crazed

Semi-Crazed Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Here in Chicago @ Lincoln Park High School.

3. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

any advice?

4. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Iam in school here in Colombia and i want to go to a private university in the United States or to the University of Sotuh Carolina, i loved that university..

5. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unless you want to pay for your education for your entire adult life, you might want to consider a public university. if you can win a scholarship to a private school, tant mieux.

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    UIC is an up-and-coming school that is quickly improving its reputation and capitalizing on the fact that it's the only decent public university in the 3rd largest city in the US.

If you take a look at what is "selling" to prospective undergrads nowadays and has been selling to faculty for decades: BIG CITY. Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, Atlanta, San Francisco/Berkeley, etc. are attracting high quality students more than ever before b/c our nation has really shifted in this sense.

UIC is positioning itself to take full advantage of that. And frankly, there's no reason why Illinois can't have 2 elite research universities.

Plus, for a first generation college student, the school is equipped to take care of your needs, as they have a high % of "non-traditional students".

Some of my colleagues where I currently teach were recruited to go to UIC, and they love the student body b/c they're tough as nails and smart. They might not come from the elite prep schools, but they are really smart. And they're tenacious.

So UIC might have the feel of a state college commuter school, but that doesn't mean squat.

7. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I recently talked to my prof at UM and she said that only 20% of the student body there is "upper-class". Many are upper middle-class, but a significant % are lower-class and lower middle-class.

She was complaining about the difficulty of getting students to study abroad b/c of the huge % of students on financial aid and the fact that UM's financial aid system impedes using those funds for an international program.

So erick, the point is that most private schools give out a hefty amount of financial aid.

When I taught at Univ. of San Francisco, another private university, I know that there was a wide spectrum of socio-economic classes there. It was quite moving to see, actually. It made for spectacular discussions.

NOTE: Most public schools actually facilitate study abroad b/c your financial aid isn't effected.

8. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    thanks im going to start looking at private schools a little more

9. extremegamer

extremegamer Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I once heard of a student getting green card status to go to college ( or something like that for schooling at least; I'm not into immigration affairs that much ) by having his cousins adopt him. His cousins were permanent US residents. I don't know the specific details.

Maybe you could look into this, consult a lawyer, and see if there's anything you can gain from it.

10. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    .thats good because many of my uncles are citizens

11. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Les Roches university in Switzerland, there is where i wanna go, but it will be difficult, i might go to Bogota, Colombia or to USC or UNC.

12. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i want to go to Miami,columbia,or colorado school of mines

13. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I started college in 07, attended Hofstra University, I only and barely got enough money for a year, which was almost 25K. Like most people here,money was a problem. However, I took the decision of moving to Chile to finish my career. I studied in the U.S 14 years so its kind of hard with spanish, history, but the colleges here help you in that. They give you special consideration like extra,free language classes etc. Plus, my College has exchanges with Universities all over the world, specially in the U.S if i ever want to go back.

My advice, do what you have to do to study and get your degree. If you have to go back to your country, do so. You can always move back, unless your illegal of course. BUT, you can always apply to another European country. Theres more to the world than the U.S.

14. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fwiw, you can find a college that won't cost you anywhere near 25K a year. There are good (not great) colleges where you can get a four-year degree fully paid for less than 25K.

15. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I get delighted when I heard this type of comments, this is the type of people I admire, thank you.

16. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    . i was thinking canada or england

17. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes but remember that no employer looks at your undergraduate school. You could do your first 2 years in the worst college in the world, then go do the other 2 years in a good college and thats what theyll notice. Im seriously considering doing my latter 2 years in China to learn mandarin.

18. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :D
    .what are you trying to be? me, civil engineer

19. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Im Political Science, specializing in economy.

20. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    .economy :eek: right now? u sure

21. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Iam thinking on studying that, or Administration of International Business and maybe a specialization in Hotelery and Turism.

22. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    .thats good...

im taking all ap classes to help me