My first year coaching thread

Discussion in 'Coach' started by pething101, Aug 5, 2002.

1. NawlinsFats

NawlinsFats New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What school in Fayetteville, Smith?

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: My first year coaching thread

Exactly. It's not mileage. Soccer is controlled running. Lots of starts and stops. Sprints, jogs, trots, and walking. I do think that supplimenting 1-2 days of running during non-training days in the preseason assuming kids are practicing two to three times a week, would be helpful to help build-up endurance. I agree that small sided drills will do the trick of conditioning for the player, particularly if placed on larger play areas and were the players are pushed to maximize their abilities.

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: My first year coaching thread

One thing we used to do was at the beginning of the season we would time the players in a 800 yard run (2 laps around the field) and then in the middle of the season - the times would be so much lower it was amazing, and that was only two laps.

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Good school, good kids and good coach. I am thankful to be starting in a good place.

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you run this thread through the season because

a) the stuff I'm reading is great
    b) I'm a Smith alumnus (as you know already) and I want to hear how the Golden Bulls do.

Good luck! I hope in addition to success you have lots of fun.

6. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Re: Re: Re: My first year coaching thread

You've tapped into a number of things by your post. The unlimited subbing (virtual or otherwise) in youth up to college in this country has been debated by many, and frowned upon by most.

The purists among us say that it doesn't teach players how to conserve energy, pace themselves, cheapens the game, etc.

So that certainly is a valid issue.

However, to be successful in soccer at a moderate to high level, a player needs both speed and endurance (sometimes referred to as anaerobic and aerobic although they are not synonyms).

Bottom line: players need to be in shape to compete.

How you get there varies by coach, coaching school, philosophy, etc.

I know some coaches who plan every moment of every practice (except stretching) that incorporates a ball. I know others who do split out aerobic and anaerobic training from technique and tactics; while others combine them. (Although I always find it funny that some are so adament that there is only one right way.)

Anyway, if a player is getting so tired during the game that he/she needs to be subbed (not injury or even fatigue in tournament), then that player needs more conditioning. It's as simple as that.

I like Alberto's suggestion of some running in addition to regular training, although with a younger player this needs to be monitored closely.

jgw

P.S. And there's nothing wrong with running miles.

7. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My first year coaching thread

Not to gang up on you, but all that tells you is that the players weren't in shape before the season started and were in better shape as the season progressed.

A half mile isn't that long unless it's maybe U-10.

jgw

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My first year coaching thread

It was U12's so you are right.

9. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too think this thread is generating a lot of good stuff for me and others. I will keep it going for the run of the season.

Will throw in the occasional pointy ball score for you.

10. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    how many showed up today?

11. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eight.

Friggin eight.

We had a good practice however with the eight that we had there. Did some decent warm up drills and worked on full field positioning.

Then the head coach took two kids to work on keeper drills. I took the other six and then tried the 4 v. 2 drill. Made five passes the goal and if the team did not make five they had to run around the cones. Rotated players in and out of the defense. More often than not, the offense ran.

Then worked on shooting drills. And we need to work a lot more on that.

Ended with a one lap around the track, sprinting down the length and jogging the arcs. Overall, I thought it was an improvment.

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    cool

don't let the numbers bother ya

stay positive and they will grow at every stage in the future

13. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to grow tomorrow or we might have to cancel our first scrimage on Thursday.

Playing a county school from out in the sticks. Big boys. Very big boys. Could be very physical.

14. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

if it is a scrimmage... just ask the other team to play a few men down if you don't have 11

it'll still be beneficial to your guys

15. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    hell, borrow some guys from the other team

i know my HS would do that if the other team had to forfeit for that reason... it would just be a fun practice for everyone

16. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: My first year coaching thread

Unlimited subbing?

Did not know that was the rule in high school.

Need to figure out what other rules differences there may be between what I watch on the telly and what I will be coaching.

17. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how the coach will do it. That option did not come up in our discussion during practice.

We play the same team on Monday, I think, for real.

18. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i think you will have 40 minute halves (some areas also do quarters if the heat gets to be too much)

can't think of any other odd things off hand

19. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My first year coaching thread

Perhaps someone else here can give you specifics for high school, but the reason I used the words "effectively unlimited subbing" is that it becomes that because players can re-enter a game.

The NCAA changed rules for this year to allow one re-entry per half. (Last year it was no re-entry in first half, one re-entry in second half.)

I would have to assume that at the high school level there would be even more flexibility.

RE: only eight

Hang in there. My first pre-season camp I had six the first day. This year I am expecting 18.

Now you have an established benchmark from which to work.

jgw

20. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    Re: Re: My first year coaching thread

Not fair to the rest of you, but Indiana just changed it's offseason participation rules, i get to train with my kids three days a week, all summer long! So in answer to yur question, no....and yes!

21. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    08/07/02

New day.

First scrimage is tomorrow. We need to get 11 kids out there today but I really don't think it is going to happen. Who knows if we will scrimage tomorrow.

Forecast calls for highs around 82 degrees. Which for around here in August is really unthinkable. Usually, the three H's, hazy, hot and humid.

Will have a description of practice later.

22. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    Richie, I implore you and other coaches to look into plyometrics training for speed agility and quickness. This stuff is awesome. My school goes through a company called Bigger Faster Stronger for all of our training regimens....literally our whole school! Every athletic team is on the same program and it has been a windfall for us. Our athletes lift, always supervised, using free weights because they give a full range of motin workout (provides for better joint strength and flexibility), and balanced resistance. The problem with machines (even though they are safer) is that the range of motion is limited to one path, and it is easy to cheat with your 'stronger' side, giving a dangerously unbalanced result.

23. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    Hey thats a great way to sprint train, we call them jog-sprints. It is a realistic , game condition way to get your running in....GOOD JOB!

As for small numbers at your practice, don't worry, be happy man! Nothing you can do about it, so don't stress too much, just send a clear message to those who treat your training sessions like they are not important.
    New drill for ya, needs 9 kids. 3 v 3 + 3 Three teams of three, (you'll need pennies or colored shirts to differentiate). in essence they play 6 v 3, six on the outside playing two or three touch keep away. When ball is given away or tackled by team on inside, whole team of three switch role, and team that screwed up is now on inside doing chase duty. Encourage defensive three to work together by forcing the bal one way or the other and then trapping it, and encourage offensive players to move in and out of perimeter spots to make themselves available for through passes (rather that just standing there and waiting for the ball). this is SO related to what they need to do in a game it's scary how good of an effect it will have on them when they "get it"

24. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we had 10 and one absent, so if all show up tomorrow, we should have 11.

Practice went well for the most part.

Warm-ups were sixty yeard sprints mixing in various movements such as jumping and heading, changing of direction, sidestepping, etc.

Worked more on introductory positioning. Each kid had a position on the pitch, played the ball to certain parts of field and see how they reacted. Eventually, had them working it out from the back to the forwards and then back to keeper. Then threw in coaches son that plays college ball and the coach to create some pressure one them.

Then played five v five, short side. No goals. Emphasizing passing and spacing.

Then coach left to go to class and I had them do much of the same, then added two goals and played a short side first team to five game. Loser ran an extra jog/sprint.

Worked on a corner set piece, trying to figure out where people need to go. That did not go over too well.

Then ran jog/sprints and stretched and cool.

That was it. Started about 4:30 and ended at 6:15.

25. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this.