My favourite goal EVER scored (you won't ever see this again in football)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by DerMongerer, Nov 20, 2004.

1. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
  2. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats a great goal, but i dont think i would call it the best ever.. i mean, we all love bicycle kicks and volleys, but im partial to large team effort goals. like 4 nice passes and a a good finish

3. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Well I understand your view, I just like the beauty of this goal as compared to individual run goals like Maradona's vs. England. Maradona like goals appear at least once a month in some league in the world. And even players like Adriano and Ruud van Nistelrooij not known for their dribbling skills have been able to dribble half the pitch to score.

And if you look closer, there's 3 nice passes on the play before the goal where the opposing team doesn't even get close to the ball even though they manage to half volley it back and forth to one another between the defenders. It's very difficult to complete 2 half volleys in between defenders and a diving scissors kick from that far away.

4. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    After viewing that video, how much better of a finish can you ask for? :confused:

5. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Not really. The goal Dario Rodriguez scored for Uruguay against Denmark was better than that. The team build-up was more impressive and the volley to score the goal is a far more difficult technique to master than that type of scissor kick.

And Maradona's goal is considered the best goal ever in a world cup, for a lot more reasons than it just being an out-of-this world goal. The rivalry between the countries, the events that had preceded it ("hand of god"), the importance, the goalscorer....etc.

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Good goal, but not the best in my opinion. I agree with the individual run goals comment.

7. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Rubbish defending has a large part to play in that goal. It's nowhere near the best goal "ever scored". Nice finish, but come on.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You can find defensive faults for every goal ever scored.

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah - and the more there are, the less you can subsequently rate the goal in question. My point exactly.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Would you like to list the "rubbish defending"? You can then name your favourite/best goal ever scored, so that we can all examine it.

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

A double bicycle kick (one passes, the other shoots) for a Boca Juniors goal about two years ago springs to mind. This one's pretty good, too.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I have to list the rubbish defending in that clip? You're not serious ...

I don't think I've ever sat down and thought about what was the "best goal ever". My favourite goal ever was a scrappy toe-poke from Alan Kennedy in about 1983. That was rubbish defending too.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I am. If you want to have a pop at other people, then you need to be specific about your criticism and then post your selection for us to examine.

14. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maradona's goal wasn't that special because Roberto Baggio did one like it in 1990 and a Saudi Arabian did one against Belgium in 1994.

15. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    1st paragraph: You're entitled to you personal opinion as am I, the difference is, I've seen Dario Rodriguez's goal duplicated many a time on the football field to some degree (think Alan Shearer vs. Everton last year), but Negrete's goal I haven't.

2nd statement: Yes Maradona's goal may be considered the best ever in a WC
    , but this was voted goal of the tournament in 1986. How impressive is that Maradona goal, when considering non-dribbling players like Van Nistelrooij & Adriano are also able to race half the field to score against defenders? And Ronaldo in his prime at Barca could do that goal weekly WITH defenders physically trying to pull him to the ground.

16. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu
    Great goal indeed but what I dont understand is why compare it to Diegos goal?

Haters are everywhere....

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That's a great goal by Sinclair.

18. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Who said anything about hate? Does anyone that believes Pele is greater than Maradona instantly hate Maradona? It's merely peoples' opinions. When Maradona says he's the best ever are you insinuating that he hates all other legendary players?

The only reason I posted this goal, is because I feel A) I haven't seen a goal like it before B) I'd like more people to see this goal, because I've hardly ever seen much said about this goal.

If you felt Diego's goal was the greatest ever, I'd respect your opinion and not try to prove you wrong.

19. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    It's all very subjective boys and not worth falling out over, you've heard one person (MC) say that their favourite goal was a toe poke - that's the point, it's what's most important to you that counts!

The arguments over Marafatcheat's goal are many and diverse, for example it wasn't his goal at all, Terry Butcher got the last touch, so it was an own goal, but if it means a lot to you, so be it! As well as the fact that the Tunisian titwank in black would have given a pen if anyone had gone near her (Madonna).

My personal favourites are a Bobby Charlton flying header against Scotchland and Pele's goal in Sweden, when he first appeared on the WC stage.

20. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's impossible for me to have one favorite-it's like walking through an art gallery.

But here's one where its simplicity and perfect execution really does transform it to art: Ronaldo's second strike against Germany.

http://www.geocities.com/castmind/ronaldo.html

I picked this part of the replay because when you watch it in slow-motion, you see what I'm getting at. The cross into the box; Rivaldo's dummy; Ronaldo strike-which was placed in the most extreme part of the corner.

I think it's a beautiful goal.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Negrete's goal is a thing of beauty, but when you hit the ball like that (or like the goal Rodriguez scored for Uruguay), there is a lot of luck involved. No matter how great your technique, the ball can go anywhere, and if it goes on goal it is almost impossible for the goalie to anticipate it. Most of the time when players try it it ends in the stands, because there are so many variables to hit the ball right, like the speed and spin and altitude which the ball brings plus how and when you hit it. A tenth of a second or a tenth of an inch can make a huge difference. If the ball goes on goal, then you are blessed. The thing that made this goal amazing, and I still remember it from when I saw it live, is that the ball was volleyed or half-volleyed three times, I believe. What are the odds of getting that exactly right? These same players could try it for the rest of their lives, with no defenders, and never get it right again. But that is the kind of stuff that makes the game so beautiful to enjoy.

22. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
    brilliant set up, magnificent finish, among the best in WC history

23. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I don't know if anybody but me remembers this goal because it was only a friendly but one of my favorite all-time goals was by Romario. Sometime in 1997, Brazil played Mexico in Miami and Brazil won 4-0. Romario hit a cross from mid-air into the corner of the net. He was standing on the left corner of the box and turned and blasted the cross past Campos, I think. I think the game was on espn2, IIRC. I wish I would have taped it. I can't find it anywhere on the net.

But my vote for all-time best goal is certainly Maradona's. I don't know how anybody but English supporters/sympathizers or Argentina haters could dispute that.

24. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu

Bwahahahahahahahahaha Terry Butchers goal? Yeah ok..........