My Country Tis of Thee

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by FulhamRev, Nov 3, 2004.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That is because you don't really see what people's interests really are. Bush gives people a story of the world which they love and want to be part of. That story is one where we are persecuted and hunted for our beliefs. This is an extremely attractive view of the world - it is the basis of much of our culture, such as video games and action movies. The villain is inhumanly smart, rich, clever and is pure evil. Our chance to win has to be seemingly in question, but never really in doubt in the end. Our friends have to turn from us because that makes the final victory that much more right. Every Bush speech plays up these parts of the plot.

This is hardly unique to Bush or even America. Lots of national rulers use this because taking part in such a story against the evil of Israel or America or whomever is more powerful to people than clean water or food or even life. And it is rediculously common among the Evangelical movement, who somehow see themselves as a persecuted minority, but who will get theirs when the Rapture takes place.

2. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why bother? Youve got at least 2 years to ******** our country up. Run hog wild.

But dont expect me to be party to it.

3. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    that is impossible with the republicans and the power they currently wield.

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Truth hurts, doesn't it Jesuslandian?

5. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (

Unfortunately, you are more correct than we would like.

Abu Graib here, Guantanemo there. What is a little human rights when ya got a war on tear to fight? God help us.

6. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I hope all the Christian right, and the rest of the the Reeps join up. They can run off to the next Iraq, and instill democracy in the middle east without the benefit of body armor. Go. Be gone. Save us. Please.

7. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (

Exactly my feelings. Have at it. The defecit ought to be interesting in 4 years. Invade away, save us from the boogey man.

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Iraqis are pretty light-skinned. Gawd!

9. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Except that I have two teenagers. First, they get the opportunity to fight in these wars, then work for years to pay off the debt.

One of the biggest jokes of the Republican party is their claims on small, good government. They have this cute little invention, called "tax freedom day." One day, when insomnia kicks in really badly, I'm going to calculate how many years my kids need to work just to pay of the debts of the Bush administration. We will call it "Bush Freedom Day."

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not light enough

11. Liban

Liban Red Card

Jul 24, 2003
    you have to accept the way a nation thinks. I always hoped Bush won, because to be honest he is the best (between him an kerry) for America. He is intouch with America, the christian, conservative, war-mongering, patriotic, and above all capitalistic America. Maybe with the next four years he can fix things that mostly were his own doing.

But I will tell you this, America almost officially chose a path yesterday, and this path sets it against the Muslim Ummah. I am fine with it, I accept it and I accpet the coming bombing (lol i dont think america is thinking of actually occupying) of Syria. I also accept more Israeli transgression, as well as Al Qaeda (and her likes) becoming very very very legitimate within muslim world

Now I will concentrate on observing the EU's reactions to this

12. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    well i assume the main incentive would be to do it for the good of the nation, something democrats may find hard to understand, see thats where you set aside personal gain and do somthing because its right...

but its not gonna happen since bush originally tried reaching out to the left in his first term, to which kennedy and his thugs thanked him with a giant FU.CK YOU!!!

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are so full of your own flatulent nonsense that it boggles the mind.

Oh, and we're really going to enjoy the "Bush Court" after putting three, possibly four judges on the Supreme Court, (although we may make Scalia CJ and bring in someone new for the end of the bench) including, probably first, the Chief Justice. Yhey'll be there for around 30 years. And since Scalia and Thomas are still relatively young......

But before you start in on this idiotic wailing, you ought to figure out what "neoconservative" means (cause in the immortal words of Mandy Patinkin, "I dunna think it means what you think it means") and then take a look at who you're really wailing about here.

Because the hard fact is that it's pretty much equally DEMOCRAT core constituencies who are the backbone of socially conservative America. Blacks poll stroger against gay marriage and abortion than any other group. Next is hispanics. Union households. "The working class" that you love to pander to so much.

Christian Evangelicals, who you seem to feel are the new Brownshirts taking over the country (cause you read it from idiotarian lefties) are a rather small, rather passive group. They work, they go to church they raise their families and they want to be left alone. But they vote. Bummer for you guys.

(BTW do you know who the largest identifiable group of "Provisional ballot" submitters in Ohio were? The Amish, who are, shall we say, not big fans of gays marriage, abortion on demand or John Kerry. They don't register and they won't use voting booths. Yeah baby, let's count THOSE ballots first.)

The people who largely support stuff like gay marriage and partial birth abortion are not even the majority of the Democratic party. It's Eastern elites, the Hol;ywood crowd and college-age kids who haven't grown up yet.

The rest of the "values" crowd consists of - well - everybody else. You're howling into the wind. It ain't some Republican plot, it's just America, black and white, rich and poor, catholic and protestant, urban and rural.

Make up all the fantasies about who it is that votes :values" if it makes you feel better, but - as usual - you're only fooling yourself.

14. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I really get a kick out of the "we are going to be at war forever" crowd, actually I also get a kick out of the "Bush is going to fix everything" crowd.

Bush caught a tough break on 9/11. Was it his fault? Nope, it was the result of many years of ignoring a problem that slowly grew to effect us. In my opinion, he played it right, going in strong and hard. Unfortunately he tossed in Iraq and from what I can see either overestimated how hard it would be, or didn't have a withdrawal plan, and now we are stuck.

The folks that think he is going to run country to country, ya right. He simply can't do this without either UN approval which I doubt he cares about, OR Congressional approval, which he HAS for Iraq. Remember Kerry voted for the use of force, but as he said, just as a threat, not to actually use it. What good is the threat if you won't follow through? If nothing else, countries will know that IF they give us reason to threaten, W will follow through.

I seriously doubt that anything like this will happen again, we will not be invading another country, we will be spending a large amount of the next 4 years getting Iraq stablized then slowly withdrawing, probably never to be completely out, we will probably maintain a base there for years.

W first 4 years were dominated by the war part of the war on terror. Hopefully the next 4 years will not be about the fighting terror with the military but via financial and intelligence sources, not invasion.

Both side slung mud in this race. Kerry however kept saying whatever he felt the crowd wanted to hear. Bush basically said "you know what I am going to be like" and stuck with that story. America picked Bush, a majority for the first time in years.

Hopefully 4 years from now we can actually get two candidates that are BOTH good. This time around I don't think either was great.

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *scrapes shatted object off the sidewalk, dumps remains into plastic sandwich bag, and hands what little is left of credibility back to Kelly*

16. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    We have had many bad posters in this forum over the years, but you are the biggest waste of bandwidth I have ever seen.

I won't edit your comments so we can all laugh at your stupidity.

17. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    But they talk all funny.

18. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, sorry. He's right. I'd be gald to explain it to you if I thought there was a chance in hell you'd pay attention, but Bush did indeed come into office working his ass off to build a bipartisan consensus in Washington.

He got tons of crap from the right and spit on by the left, led by Tom Daschle who announced PUBLICALLY ANNOUNCED FOR ALL TO HEAR that as majority leader he was going to make sure that NOTHNG whatsoever passed through Congress - good, bad or indifferent, until Bush was defeated.

Hell, Bush invited Kennedy to write the education bill, they hugged in public, Bush even invited Teddy and his family to the WH to watch movies and eat popcorn. Literally. The next thing GWB knew Kennedy was calling him vicious names.

You guys need to actually figure out what you're talking about, because all you seem to do is make yourselves look ignorant.

Homework assignment: Explain how Jim Jeffords doomed the Democrat party to irrelevance and electoral demolition. Show your work.

19. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I guess you missed it when Bush and Kennedy worked together to get No Child Left Behind started? Oh yea, Bush wouldn't fund it properly.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Sept. 11th Bush is handed the most patriotic and unified America since 1776 and by the time his reelection rolls around the nation is just as divided as it was 4 years before. Bang up job George. I guess my standards of unification of this country are a tad higher than yours are Bill. But please, by all means, now that you've crawled out of your cave, enlighten the rest of us.

Actually, read Plato's Republic, then get back to us.

21. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boise ID
    Billings, MT
    Riverton, WY
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Lincoln, NE
    Rapid City, SD
    Topeka, KS
    10 day minitour of OK
    across the border into the Republic of Texas (have your passports ready, and make sure your visa is valid) for security reasons the cities are not listed...)
    Shreveport, LA
    Mobile, AL
    Paducah, KY
    Hope, AR (just despite that ****er, they'll be holding the BJ Backlash Ball)
    Gary, IN
    A Very SPECIAL thank you in Cincinnati, OH
    Fayetteville, NC
    Summerville, SC
    Marietta, GA
    culminating with Special Ed Day (but it's really not Special Ed day, that's no longer funded, but the name is kept for appearances) at Disney World in Florida...

22. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hmmm. Losing hurts more.

23. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Simply untrue. NCLB is a performance-based incentive program.

It's like the left spending four years wailing about how the bottom income levels received no benefit from the tax cuts, knowing full well that the bottom income levels DON'T PAY TAXES.

You guys have to wake up to the fact that they've been lying to you.

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have no idea what this means.

So I';; just spend some time making up a short list of far-right ideologues who hate minorities, women and pretty much everything else to put on the Supreme Court.

25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You're either with us or against us. Great unifying speech!