My 2022 World Cup Group Stage Predictions: What do you think?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Mean Machine, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Group A:
    1. Netherlands
    2. Qatar
    3. Senegal
    4. Ecuador
    Usually the hosts always make it through to the next round, with the exception of South Africa 2010, and I must say that 2010 South Africa was really a rubbish team and were in a tough group. However, the Netherlands will likely top this group, with Qatar going through second place. Senegal is not as good as they used to be a couple years ago, and Ecuador is likely just here for the presence.

Group B:
    1. England
    2. Iran
    3. USA
    4. Wales / Ukraine / Scotland
    First of all, we don't know who is going to qualify between the 3 European Teams, but I think Wales is a very safe bet as the most consistent team out of the three. Ukraine can be good on their day but cannot be trusted to perform when it matters and always bottle their chances. Scotland is mediocre at best. Anyways, England is clearly the best team in this group and are probably at one of their golden generations this year, and will likely top the group. Now the rest is tough to predict, but I fancy Iran to just edge it, because remember this is going to be in Qatar, and Iran is very close and will feel almost like home to them which gives them a huge advantage. Iran is also experiencing a slightly golden generation these days, as well as being coached well with a solid defense. The USA and Wales are both great teams, but the conditions in Qatar will not be on their side. While the USA is looking great in North America, football outside North America is completely different and I doubt that the USA will be able to keep up with pace and mental strength of football in the other side of the world. With that said, Wales will likely have a hard time breaking down the USA's defense so I expect that game to likely end in a stalemate. If it's Ukraine or Scotland, it'll be even easier for the USA.

Group C:
    1. Argentina
    2. Mexico
    3. Poland
    4. Saudi Arabia
    Pretty straight forward group in my opinion. Argentina is one of the favorites to win this World Cup and should have no issues topping the group. The real argument here is Mexico vs Poland. Many people fancy Poland, but I just believe that they are overrated and really only have Lewandowski and Milik, and not a complete team. Mexico is tactically better all around, and again, this is NOT in Europe. European Teams tend to have a reputation of struggling in World Cups outside Europe, and Poland is not a very experienced team when it comes to World Cups. Saudi Arabia is just here for the presence.

Group D:
    1. Denmark
    2. Peru / Australia / Emirates
    3. France
    4. Tunisia
    We don't know if it will be Peru, Australia, or Emirates in the World Cup, but I really believe that Peru is a very safe bet as they are clearly better than those other teams. Denmark is a team that is firing on all cylinders and there is a good chance that Christian Eriksen will return which will be a boost. I think Denmark is going to win this group and surprise everyone. Peru is a team that plays extremely fast and I believe that their pace and urgency will see them over the line. Many people might think I am delusional, but yes, I think France will exit in the group stage. Just look at the past few world cups; the champions almost always exited in the group stage in the next World Cup. I think it'll happen again. Tunisia is another team just here for the presence.

Group E:
    1. Spain
    2. Germany
    3. Japan
    4. Costa Rica / New Zealand
    This is definitely the group of death. Spain is a team that is starting to really grow a new generation of players and is emerging as a top team again, and I believe that they will win this group. Germany is still in the middle of transition, and I am not sure how much we should expect from them, but I think second place is a safe bet in a group like this. Japan will likely be no pushovers and I expect them to give teams a tough time and snatch third place over Costa Rica or New Zealand, whoever qualify. I am not expecting too much from Costa Rica or New Zealand. Costa Rica only performs well at home or in The Americas and many of their players are old and slow.

Group F:
    1. Belgium
    2. Canada
    3. Croatia
    4. Morocco
    This will be a fun and interesting group to watch. Belgium has lost a few players from their golden generation but still has a lot of talent and I think they should have no issues topping this group. Canada has been a fairytale story all around by topping the CONCACAF qualifying group, and I think they will surprise and snatch second place. Croatia is not nearly as good as they were last World Cup, and they tend to struggle in World Cups outside of Europe. I think they will snatch a win against Morocco but will not go any further than third place this time. The issue is that Croatia does not have a proper attack since Mandzukic retired, and will have a hard time breaking down Canada's defense.

Group G:
    1. Brazil
    2. Serbia
    3. Switzerland
    4. Cameroon
    I think Brazil will top this group easily as one of the favorites to win the whole World Cup. The debate is Serbia vs Switzerland. I gotta say that this will be tough, but I think Serbia will edge it. Switzerland has a good defense and play possession well but they really do not have any players to make much of a difference for them up front and will likely struggle to score goals. Serbia has players that can make the difference and I think that they will edge it and beat Switzerland to second place. Cameroon is just here for the presence.

Group H:
    1. Uruguay
    2. Ghana
    3. Portugal
    4. South Korea
    Honestly, this group is the hardest for me to predict, because I really think all of these teams have what it takes to surprise. However, I think location is going to be a big factor in this group, and again, we must remember that this World Cup is in Qatar, and European Teams tend to struggle outside of their own continent in World Cups. This is likely Uruguay's last chance to go far with Suarez and Cavani aging, and I think they will be at their best this World Cup. Portugal vs Ghana is tough, and it can really go either way. I fancy Ghana because usually one African team makes the Round of 16, and I think Ghana might have the best chance. South Korea could surprise as well, but I don't see them as super good these days, so it's hard to say. Uruguay and Ghana is my prediction, but much of this is based on location, conditions, and history, because really anything can happen in this group.

2. Cosmin10

Cosmin10 Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Ibiza
    Group A: Senegal, Ecuador
    Group B: Iran, USA
    Group C: Saudi Arabia, Poland
    Group D: Tunisia, Peru
    Group E: New Zealand/Costa Rica, Japan
    Group F: Morocco, Croatia
    Group G: Serbia, Cameroon
    Group H: South Korea, Ghana

Chesco United and unclesox repped this.
  3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Too early IMO for any real predictions.

Itiofele repped this.
  4. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Instead of opening a individual thread just for showing your predictions you could have posted them on the other thread with a spoiler tag but oh well...

5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Group A: I honestly can't fathom the claim that "Senegal is not as good as they used to be a couple years ago". They are reigning African champions, as compared to the 2018 Senegal side (which was pretty good) they now have arguably the GK in the world, or at least the reigning best GK of the Champions League and second best according to Balon d'Or. Idrissa Gueye is probably not as good as several years back, but since 2018 they've added PSG's Abdou Diallo or Villarreal's Boulaye Dia. Also the coach is four years wiser...

Group F: Think people are sleeping on Morocco. Sure, they didn't make it out in 2018 and came last, but people forget how close that group was and how well Morocco played. That said I don't know if Morocco can afford to keep coach Vahid Halilhodzic, because as long as he's coaching, it seems two of Morocco's best players Hakim Ziyech or Amine Harit won't be. Honestly Ziyech alone puts Morocco on a whole other level.

6. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yeah, I am not so sure on Morocco as well. No pushovers. They play well but struggle to score goals. I think they might be in for some surprise but not sure if it'll be enough. It will be interesting to watch and see.

zahzah repped this.
  7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Morocco don't struggle with goals when they have Ziyech. Youssef En-Nesyri simply isn't getting enough quality service without him.

8. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I haven't done any research yet but this is what my instinct is telling me who goes through (without any particular order):

A - Netherlands, Senegal
    B - England, USA
    C - Argentina, Poland
    D - France, Denmark
    E - Spain, Germany
    F - Canada, Belgium
    G - Brazil, Serbia
    H - Uruguay, South Korea

Summary

9x UEFA
    3x CONMEBOL
    2x CONCACAF
    1x CAF
    1x AFC

I'll go one step further. The quarterfinals will consist of 5 UEFA teams, Brazil and Argentina and one of USA or Canada. The best ROW performer will be from CONCACAF.
    Senegal might also have their word to say but for now I regard them as Round of 16 type of team. I don't see any other ROW team being able to come clode to a quarterfinals appearance. USA, Canada and Senegal are imo your best bets as of now.

Every Four Years repped this.
  9. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    More people see Croatia fail better it is.

Seen aging squad several times.

Josko Gvardiol is one of the best youngsters in the World in his position.

Borna Sosa one of the young left back with most assists in top 5 leagues.

Lovro Majer is second with Rennes in ligue 1 thé best position for this club in their whole History.

Kovacic is 27 and became essential for Chelsea.
    Brozo is a key player for Inter.

All of Perisic Orsic Kramaric Pasalic Brekalo Majer are players than know to give assists or to shoot at the net in top 5 leagues or European cups against serious opponents.

Croatia is underestimated as always.

A: Sénégal Netherlands
    B England USA
    C Argentina Poland
    D Denmark Peru
    E Spain Germany
    F Croatia Belgium
    G Brazil Serbia
    H Uruguay South Korea

10. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I feel Croatia are ill-fated this time. I told you the other day.
    And it got worse with Canada now in the group. Canada are the prototype of a dark horse. They will cause a lot problems to some teams.

Subsneeded repped this.
  11. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Is it Bad that i don't feel scared by Canada at all?
    I respect your thought
    But the croatian squad eats the Canadian squad alive.

In football everything is possible but we have a better team and a better bench than they do.

Christina99 repped this.
  12. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    It would be historic if both Croatia and Serbia would advance. It never happened at any major tournament whatsoever since the dissolvement of Yuguslavia.

I know the Croatian mentality. They will understimate Canada. Croatia will lift their game for Belgium and draw them and beat Morocco. In the end they will exit with four points. I can perfectly see this happenning.

13. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    My initial thoughts

A) Holland, Senegal
    B) England, USA
    C) Argentina, Mexico
    D) France, Denmark
    E) Spain, Germany
    F) Belgium, Croatia
    G) Brazil, Serbia
    H) Portugal, Ghana

I see group H being very close looking something like this

Portugal 1 Ghana 0
    Uruguay 2 S. Korea 2

Ghana 2 S. Korea 2
    Portugal 1 Uruguay 1

Ghana 2 Uruguay 1
    Portugal 1 S. Korea 1

Portugal 5
    Ghana 4
    S. Korea 3
    Uruguay 2

Every Four Years and zahzah repped this.
  14. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Canada will be tough but something tells me they will Crack under the pressure of their first world cup in ages.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  15. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    No AFC team to advance? This World Cup is on Asian soil. Somebody has to rise to the occasion....

Chesco United and zahzah repped this.
  16. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    They won't underestimate Canada cause Croatia in 2006 tied Japan and Australia and it will remain a lesson.

There is also a thing that Borjan (Canadian-serbian born in dalmatia gk) said "i was born in Serbia"
    Every croatian football fans talk about it now and you can be sure the players will know that.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    My thoughts on Morocco depend on whether they resolve the Ziyech (and Harit) issue. You can't head to the World Cup without your best attacking player...

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think Iran will get a good run and ousting USA. I'm betting on them to progress.

Honestly can't see Qatar doing it, although Ecuador isn't the worst first opponent. (BTW isn't this arguably the worst group for a host since South Africa's 2010 group?)

Saudi Arabia's group is just too tough. Even if they pull off something with Poland, then i expect Mexico to beat them (or vice versa). Playing Argentina first doesn't help their case.

Japan - like Saudi Arabia, but arguably even worse. They would have to eke out draws with Spain / Germany and beat Peru / New Zealand

Australia could make it, but you have to favor Denmark and France (unless France pulls a Deschamp). I would love to see them through, but a) first they have to qualify, b) it's a long shot.

South Korea - could be anyone in group H. Betting on them is as good as anyone else.

19. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I don't have really opinion about them being tough or not.
    Nowadays 80% of games Can be tough even against weaker opponents
    Davies is World class. David is overrated.
    Their team is pretty average overall.

20. David Obert

David Obert New Member

None
    United States
    Jun 7, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious about the US and tactics:

the US has had trouble finding a pure striker. Some of their best results have come playing Ferreira as a false 9 and having Pulisic and Weah make runs in behind the defense.

my question is if you are going to play a false 9 aren’t you better with Reyna in that position?

a line-up (if all are healthy) of

Pulisic. Weah
    Reyna
    Musah. McKennie
    Adams
    Jedi Dest
    CB1. CB2
    Keeper

is not a line-up the US had employed but could be dangerous at getting behind the back line and making dangerous runs at goal.

21. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Or playing a different style.

Morocco under Renard with those players you mention would have a very good chance in this group.

Anybody seen how good that Ezzalzouli who plays for Barca is ? He didn't play these last 2 matches because of injury but was with the team.

22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Possibly but I just don't think they got good draws. Maybe Iran, but I think they will find the US very tough.

S. Korea has a decent chance but they will have to be at their absolute best. I prefer a likely revamped Ghana squad over them.

But remember this is more a middle east advantage than an Asian one. Morocco need to fire their coach and bring back Ziyech, Harit, then I will be more up on their chances.

23. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So you trying to say group H is the group of death

24. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    I think they surrendered already. I saw white truce banners floating all of the sudden.

25. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #25 Kamtedrejt, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    When the World Cup takes place in a ROW nation at least somebody of that confederation rises to the occasion and makes it past the group stage:

62 in Chile it was Chile itself
    70+86 in Mexico it was Mexico itself
    94 in the USA it was the USA and Mexico
    02 in Japan and South Korea it was South Korea and Japan themselves
    10 in South Africa it was Ghana

My opinion on AFC teams:

South Korea are much improved to 2018.
    Japan and Saudi Arabia are slightly improved to 2018.
    Iran are overall less solid than in 2018.

Australia I think won't qualify and if they do they are certainly worse than in 2018.

I don't know. I have for some reason faith in South Korea. If they finished in 2018 with three points in a group with Germany, Mexico and Sweden with an inferior team they can easily aim for 4-5 points in Group H.