MVB to Bayern Munich

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Contranos, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Contranos

Contranos New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Chicago
  2. Chuck-Puyol-Norris

Chuck-Puyol-Norris New Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Camp Nou
    I think Guddy will take his spot in the midfield. Rijkaard tried hm there against Bayern afterall. And then Saviola will stay with us and be the backup striker.

We got him for free last year and then sell him a year later for 12 million. That is great business.

3. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12 million! Nice.

He was third on the depth chart here, so to get 12 million for a guy we weren't really going to use is great. He was behind Deco and Iniesta in his best role, and he really wasn't very good in other roles.

Good luck Marco, I'm sure you'll have a great season in Germany.

4. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It is more money than we would get by selling Saviola and honestly MVB only adds competition to an already saturated midfield, where Saviola is coverage. Personally, I like MVB and hate to see him go but it is the best move if he wants to play every game.

From a business stand point it is a great deal for Barca and allows them to keep a top notch striker in Saviola and make more loot than would be made in selling him.

To be clear, Barca is making 8 million Euros on MVB where Saviola was on the market for 6 million.

This also opens the door for Owen Hargreaves to go to Man U...hopefully Man u scratches our back in return for this one.

5. SuedKurve

SuedKurve New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Bayern is paying 6 million so Uli Hoeness

6. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    i have to admit though that this came out of the blue for me

7. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Same here. I quite like van Bommel and I'm more disappointed about this than I am the Sevilla result.

8. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This was a persistant rumor from the begining of the transfer window. It has been very suspicious that MVB hasnt played since the US tour.

9. Caribbean boy

Caribbean boy New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    barbados westindies
    will leave barca a little thin especially if someone gets injured! It is a good move for MVB if he is looking for first team football.

10. Chuck-Puyol-Norris

Chuck-Puyol-Norris New Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Camp Nou
    I think with MVB gone we will see Guddy more played in midfield. Saviola as back up striker and Guddy takes MVB's spot.

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, as sudden as this move might appear, remember before the WC when Bayern was hunting for a Ballack replacement he was one of the options but I think Barca refused to sell him. I guess they kept in touch and the recent visit to Barca wasn't just to get our asses whooped but for an actual player.

As a Bayern fan I'm semi-satisfied with this signing...its more of a last ditch effort rather than an intelligent replacement. Then again, he has good experience in Europe so he should add something to the club.

12. RemiNL

RemiNL New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Frankly, I don't think we'll see Eidur that much in midfield. Deco plays pretty much every game in its entirety and Iniesta can work in a rotation with Xavi. He is still the only true backup we have at the 9 spot because Saviola has proven he is a failure there.

13. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How has Saviola proven he is a failure there?????

14. RemiNL

RemiNL New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    From what I've seen in his play, Saviola is much more effective on the wings and I don't see Rijkaard playing him anywhere else, if he plays him at all.

15. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    nvm

16. i404

i404 Member

Apr 19, 2006
    .ca - .de - .hr
    so what's the bid? 12mil, 6 mil? what is it?

17. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    FR hasn't played him in the center in three years. Against a team like Sevilla yesterday it would have been smart to keep our "9" in the center of the pitch. With the way Eto'o was being served (a little bit outside the box), his game is not best utilized in that position with the ball for re-distribution purposes whereas saviola may have made it work.

18. RemiNL

RemiNL New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    The fact is, I think Eidur is a better 9 than Saviola is. I agree that Saviola probably has more goalscoring prowess, but I just don't see him in the center late in games. Imagine Saviola coming in, for perhaps Messi or Giuly, and pushing Eto'o to the wings, do you think that would be an effective combination? Personally I think it would be a monumental failure.

19. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  20. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    For that purpose you are right....but to give him an entire game would prove to be effective also as a "9"

21. RemiNL

RemiNL New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Yes but that is really irrelevant since Eto'o will undoubtably be playing a huge portion of minutes. As such, I think an Eto'o-Gudjohnsen-Dinho combination is much more effective if and when Messi or Giuly sub out.

22. RemiNL

RemiNL New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I guess my main point is that if we got rid of MVB, it's not for us to be looking at Eidur as depth there, he should be considered only a last option. I really believe Eidur creates more on the attack than midfield. Now, I am not sure what you guys think of Dinho's exact role, but he is listed as a midfielder. However, I'm sure most would say that he would lose much creativity playing back, similar to where he was with the Brazilian NT? So my question is this, what happens if we (knock on wood) lose either Xavi, Deco, or Iniesta to injury. All of a sudden our whole game is going to be thrown out of synch because players are rotating into positions they shouldn't be playing. That is why the transfer of MVB worries me. We should have a 4th option that doesn't take away from other areas. Is it too late to find something on the market?

23. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I thought about this one and Zambrotta is there for coverage ...he was originally a midfielder with Juve

24. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the rotating they do on the field, what's the difference? Saviola can be VERY succesful in our "9" spot. Either way, he hasn't proven anything so far, other than that he can be successful in Rijkaard's system.

25. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sad to see yet another Dutchman leave...