Mustapha Jarju

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by Guarda-Redes, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    I've done some reading on him, a lot of reading.

Here's what we were told by our club:

20 goals in all of Europe last year;
    no one has heard of him;
    African-based International Player who captained his U17 team; and
    First African Designated Player.

What our club thinks this translates to the fans as:
    Proven goalscoring gem, that plays serious international football, has leadership qualities and is likely the best African in MLS upon his arrival.

===========================

Here's the reality:

RE: 20 goals
    151 games, 58 goals. Mustapha Jarju's strike record in his pro career (at least the part that actually has statistics). RAEC Mons played in the Belgian 2nd division in 2010/2011. Prior to Mons, he played for another Belgian 2nd division club named Lierse. The Belgian 2nd division is made up of professional and semi-professional clubs (i.e. some players play footy on saturday and work monday to friday). How do I know this? My cousin played for Mons, Charleroi, when not training he made ends meet by repairing ATVs. He made more money as a mechanic than playing.

RE: Never heard of him
    Belgian 2nd division is difficult to find televised in Belgium, much less Europe or the world. You'll likely find the scores in the local papers, but they won't show up on liverscore.com or goal.com.

RE: International Experience
    1. Gambia is presently ranked 107th in the world.
    2. Gambia's World Cup History:

3. Gambia's African Nations Cup History

• 1957 to 1974 - Did not enter
    • 1976 - Did not qualify
    • 1978 - Did not enter
    • 1980 to 1988 - Did not qualify
    • 1990 - Withdrew
    • 1992 - Did not qualify
    • 1994 - Did not enter
    • 1996 - Withdrew during qualifying
    • 1998 - Banned for withdrawing in 1996
    • 2000 - Withdrew
    • 2002 to 2010 - Did not qualify
    RE: leadership skills

He isn't the captain for a national team that can't even qualify for the African Nations Cup.

RE: best African player in MLS and deserving of DP Slot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_MLS_players

There is a pretty strong argument that he isn't the best Gambian in the league, much less African.

None of the aforementioned Africans are DP's, as we know, but he is.

==================================

2. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Whitecaps FO lives for the overhype.

(Did you know that MANCHESTER CITY...former club of CANADIAN SUPERSTAR TERRY DUNFIELD...is coming to VANCOUVER! Oh...what? We fired Dunfield? Teves ain't coming? Umm...)

3. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    No Tevez and No Adebayor.

Enjoy the fail that is Balotelli, together with mercenaries David Silva, Dzeko et. al.

4. gamekid2k

gamekid2k Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am watching Man City VS WC and so far here are my impression of Mustapha Jarju.

He is not very active and hardly trying to run for the ball.
    I don't see him moving to open space so he can receive passes.
    I think he will be sub during half time.

I will give him benefit of the doubt of a bad jet leg. Will wait for a better day with better field condition and a opponent of equal footing (ie a MLS team)

5. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I had a different opinion of him... Thought he did pretty good for his first game in there, seemed to pair with Hassli pretty well, for being here less then a week. Wednesday will give a better indication.

6. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What I saw was him coming deeper off leading the front the line to get balls which freed Rico up more and more, making Rico more effective and essentially turning him back into a load for the defenders to handle. Having another threat leading the line with Hassli stretches defenses, and that I liked.

Once he gets more training under him and fitness, and so on I figure he'll help.

We're still missing someone to get them (The attackers) the ball.

7. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    trust me-- he'll be here by the end of the month

8. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The spirit of Sheik liveth.

9. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hey sportie1, where the hell is our new midfielder?

Just sayin.'

10. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yeah, I have been thinking the same thing. He has been popping off about a player coming "next week" for quite some time now.

Maybe he thinks Hargreaves will come.....

11. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    First game with Thorrington in the lineup to help out MF we won... coincidence?

12. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not a coincidence at all. We all know we struggle to play well because of midfield distribution ande a shaky back 4. When those problems are fixed, we have a much better chance of winning.

Sportie said we were getting a new midfielder by the end of July, not that an already signed mid with injury problems would start playing for us mid-August.

13. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    it takes time to get a player out of hell into the promised land of vancouver... but he's coming-- hold your pee for a little longer
    the next major announcement will be ... NEXT WEEK

14. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I can't wait to find out.

(I am withholding sarcasm in one last, uncynical hope that you know what you are talking about and not just pulling sh** out your a**. =)

15. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    He has no sources; he keeps saying "NEXT WEEK"

Next week never comes..............

Transfer window ends soon I think.

16. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Transfer window closes at 12:00am Aug 15.

17. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i am not pulling stuff out of my arse like that arseh-le, the Iron Sheik, who loved to stir up trouble and lay awake at nights laughing it all out from his drawers

it is my sense that the caps will announce a new player soon, a more dynamic mf-- it could be they are waiting for the 2012 coach, Martin rennie, to agree to the new player from a list of 2 or 3, so that is why there is a delay

every1 finally knows that a creative mf is the next progress step to recovering this season and they have player space and international room to do it

18. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree with your thinking, but that is NOT the same as you having inside information on an actual signing. Now I know that when you say something is comign down the pike, you mean you have a gut feeling based on need.

And you're right - that's not like Shiekh.

Thanks for clarifying.

19. gamekid2k

gamekid2k Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how is Mustapha Jarju doing so far? I will watch the replay of the DC game tomorrow

20. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Don't bother.

Jarju didn't get in until the game was over. Odd decision I think. Seems like Soehn went with the line up that won last game, sure looked stupid to me, with the quality we had on the bench.

21. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Probably because Soehn isn't that great of a coach. =/

22. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Jarju is looking like he will be a 4 -5 goal a year guy for the club. Considering he was presented as a striker, I am very very displeased he used a DP spot.

Many will say "give him time" or "he is not fit". He has been here for a month and played in several games,I don't think this excuse can hold water.

23. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Sounds like they'll be moving him to central mid. Can see him being an excellent partner for Koffie.

24. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Isn't that what he plays for Gambia?

25. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    like TFC has had to find out- and it took 4 tough years for the supporters-- unless you have competent people in the FO, the team skids all over the place-- i'm not convinced that the Caps have competent people in the FO- some of their decisions are simply naive and shocking, the latest being the signing of jarju as a DP - he came from the Belgian 2nd division! and he sat on the bench vs RBNY, something that should never happen to a DP signing-- and when he did come on as a sub, he was barely noticeable... and that's why he was in the Belgian 2nd division at 25 years of age

DP signings should be for very promising young players under 23, or 30+-- any player between 23-30 should be in their prime years and not available for MLS-- if they are available, then they usually are average players at best and not worth a DP salary