Mustaches, Germany & a Proposal

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ddw31089, Sep 7, 2005.

1. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Ever since our crushing victory over our southern rivals, I haven't been able to stop daydreaming about the glorious upcoming tournament in Deutschland.

Strangely enough, one of my recurring daydreams focuses on the possible brilliance of the US team and fans sporting mustaches for the World Cup.

Can anyone think of any other better way to show support for our national team (wearing red is great and all, but just a tad uninventive) than everyone sporting patriotic mustaches? And imagine if the players ended up going along with this great idea. It would be so good.

This is my suggestion/dream for the WC. Anyone else have others?

2. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I am 24 years old and cannot grow a mustache. Please don't rub it in.

3. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Yeah 20 years old and can't grow a real solid mustache, nor would I want to.

This gets a thumbs down from me.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a better idea, why don't we all buy the biggest eyeglasses frames in the darkest color and wear our underwear on our heads. Also need to have a buttoned up shirt all the way to the neck and the shirt must have a pocket we can stick like 10-12 pens and pencils in. Whenever the US does a good pass or scores a goal we can jump up and down uncoordinatedly and all clap at different rythms, never in unison, and we can also laugh like goats or horses... sorta like "mehhheeeeeeho hoho heeeee hohohoh heeeeeee". MAN THAT WILL TOTATLY THROW THE FOOTBALLING WORLD OFF ITS FEET.

Better yet, lets not do any of that....

5. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it worked for the A's in the 70's! :p

6. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Jesus Christ this is a weird thread. I initially thought, the title, that you wanted to grow a moustache so that you could poke fun of Ze Germans - you know the stereotype of Germans always having moustaches - but no, you want the USA fans and team to grow moustaches...

That's pretty weird. Why a moustache? Why not a beard? dye it red, white and blue? Or a mohawk a la 2002? Or how about we all shave our armpit hair? Or we could all just shave our leg and arm hair in a show of solidarity.

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like the idea :)

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like the two are mutually exclusive:

[​IMG]

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would they be handle bar moustaches? or fu man chu's? or one of those big Keith Hernandez catapellar moustaches. Shouldn't we all have the same style

10. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Good question. I am up for suggestions but I think the simpler the better as some people have trouble growing much facial hair, and I also just think there is something great about a simple moustache.

But I am up for suggestions.

11. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My initial thinking was that it would be great to do something to distinguish ourselves from other countries fans while abroad. And ideally something that once it catches on, the players will tag along to get in on the fun.

Kinda like how certain teams have bleached their hair together, but instead something less gay.

And beards are difficult cause not everyone can grow them. And most people can at least grow a mexi-stash even if they can't get the full blown moustache going. Plus, since it is in Germany think how many dodgy German/Eastern Euro chicks we would pick up with the facial hair.

So I guess the idea is a combination of a few factors.

12. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am approaching menopause and may soon have the ability to grow a mustache. Please, don't rub it in.

13. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    I think being American will be enough to distinguish ourselves from other supporters.

14. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

Not touching that with a 10-foot pole.

15. tacos

tacos Member

Aug 5, 2003
    London
    I couldn't possibly think iof a better idea than that. You have been given the most enthusiastic rep i've ever given.

Here's a little Inspiration.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Who's ready for a mustache ride?

Sachin

17. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    [​IMG]

But in red, white, and blue.

Best thread ever, btw.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Wow.. is that Miss Mexico preliminary round?

Sachin

19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about this . Would that make McBride and Eddie Johnson look a little like those guys Bacardi and Cola? I'm wondering if that's...you know...a good thing.

[​IMG]

20. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Oddly enough I am intrigued and repelled by this idea.

21. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm all for this one.. I've tried in the past for a Karl Marx, but the furthest I ever get is some pseudo Rhett Butler sleazy looking thing.. we should start growing at the WC draw, what's that mid-December.. we can post monthly updates..

22. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    That is funny stuff. And coming up soon as well. Maybe I can take time off from Baywatch and 7th Heaven to catch a Ryan Air down there to catch the end of Oktoberfest and hit that up.

23. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Rep given

24. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    In my opinion bonus points will be awarded for the sleazier it looks. If anyone has ever seen a video of Gunther & The Sunshine Girls then this is what we should be aiming for. Someone smarter than me post a pic, so people know what to do.

And excellent idea with posting the pics. While it would be slightly creepy looking at each others moustaches it would be worth the hilarity.

25. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are americans we will stand out like sore thumbs in Europe whether we like it our not (just like they stand out when they come here).