Music

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by theworm2345, Mar 4, 2006.

1. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    When I was there I saw posters for Kanye West and The Game, so I figure you probably like the same music as we do. If not, what do you listen to? Also, this might not exactly what you are listening to, but I have heard from a few American Irish people (who go over alot) that Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond is very popular (these people might just be saying that because they are from Boston, and it is popular there). They said it was popular at the pubs in Ireland though.

2. LUDs Flag

LUDs Flag New Member

Sep 22, 2002
    Chicago
    Generalize much ? :rolleyes: :D

3. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I also saw Green Day and other stuff (not to mention, of course, u2)

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Some Irish people like country music.............

Thats right.......

:eek:

5. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think it sucks, but it doesnt seem that weird to me. Maybe people over there dont like traditional Irish music that much, whereas I do.

6. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I hear Dickie Rock is pretty big over there.

7. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    So, I'm going to the Pogues Reunion show tomorrow night in DC.
    Hopefully Shane shows up...

8. LUDs Flag

LUDs Flag New Member

Sep 22, 2002
    Chicago
    Getting him to show up is only half the battle. Getting him to stand up- that's a whole other thing entirely :p

9. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I saw him with the Popes a few years back, was great seeing him in person for the 1st time ,and the show was good, but not great. He was in rough shape to say the least.:)

Definitely looking forward to tonight, only a few hours away...

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Be interested to know how the gig was, if you've time.........

11. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Sure thing, and just got word I may have secured a backstage pass as well...

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    If you have a backstage pass for the Pogues, unlike other groups, it will not be for your good looks, but for your apparent ability to spring for a round. :)

13. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    The show greatly exceeded my expectations; I'm still trying to get myself together.:)

They were supposed to start at 11, and miraculously at a few minutes past the whole band appears, with Shane just moments behind. :eek:

Place was jam-packed, 2 hours of nonstop music. Shane was in great form, much better than when I'd seen him before. He mixed up a verse or two, but his voice was strong and he looked much better than some of the recent photos I've seen of him.

The band were tight, dead-on, seeing all eight of them up there together (a sight I'd never thought I'd have the chance to see) was awesome.

Highlights for me were Sick Bed of Cuchulainn, Young Ned of the Hill, Phil Chevron singing Thousand Are Sailing;and Shane was at his best on Old Main Drag, with just accordion, drums and banjo providing the backing. Gave me chills...

All in all a great night...:cool:

14. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Showing your age there.

Daniel O Donnell is the big star these days.

15. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nah, not too old, actually wee Daniel was in the same class as my older brother in the Galway RTC back in the day.

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    What was the course? Songs for de mammies and waistcoat wearing philosophy?

17. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    The pride of Donegal.

18. Sulley

Sulley New Member

Sep 1, 2005
    Kansas City
    One of the craziest things I've ever seen in my life was a Neil Diamond concert at Lansdowne Road last summer (and don't get me started as to how pissed I was that both this concert and the Israel WC Qualifier match from the Saturday before were sold out - yet Neil Diamond was the one I somehow found tickets to). People were absolutely nutty for the man. Good show though. On the bright side, during that trip I also got to spend consecutive Sundays at Croke Park, finally catching my first live football and hurling matches.

If anybody has a liking for traditional music and rock check out a group called the Elders. They're based out of Kansas City and the lead singer is a distant in-law of mine from Wicklow. They're outstanding and put on a hell of a show. They usually play a week or two in Ireland every November, hitting Johnny Fox's and then a random assortment. I really wanted to go last year since they finally played my favorite venue in all of Ireland (The Quays - Galway) but I was still well past broke from my summer European travels.

You can check them out at http://www.eldersmusic.com

19. bobbybhoy2003

bobbybhoy2003 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Columbus
    The Irish race should say a big I'm sorry to her plastic cousins in Merica for that man Daniel O' Donnell my gran loves that man and he is utter piss..I guess you guys did give us Father Ted so you guys aint to bad...