Musah

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Mar 15, 2021.

1. FTGOTC

FTGOTC Member

Feb 21, 2021
    I loved the highlight, as mentioned above, but upon further viewing of his Stuttgart highlight the thing that stuck out most was that he virtually *never* uses his left foot. Developing that would also help him a ton in terms of navigating the final third.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  2. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a youth coach we practice once a week using non-lead foot only. Passing, receiving and shooting. Yes the practices are less effective at the beginning but by the end of the year the kids all improve. Wish more places did that. But when youre in the pipeline a lot of it is win now. So you gotta ride strengths instead of improving weaknesses. Once you get to that pro level it has to happen on the side. I think he's u20 so he has a lot of time, but he definitely needs to improve on that aspect to really take his game to another level based on what I've seen which is mostly highlights/touch videos and USMNT games.

Bajoro, RefIADad, jnielsen and 4 others repped this.
  3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please don't go full-on Gascoigne.
    [​IMG]

bungadiri and russ repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Musah with the most minutes for any Valencia player during the preseason, playing as a central midfielder now... remember when many people here doubted him?

TrueCrew and FTGOTC repped this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Not really.

Yowza and The Clientele repped this.
  6. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me neither. From the moment I saw him play I knew he was the real deal. I can’t remember a single American player from the last 25 years who has his skill set. I’m not sure how that wasn’t obvious to everyone…

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #657 xbhaskarx, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    You only have to go back to early in this thread to see people justifying Gregg not playing Musah in the Nations League games... just a couple months later when Musah was playing so well for the US in qualifying, some would retcon the reasoning to "Musah didn't want to be cap tied" at least until Musah himself stated multiple times that wasn't the case.
    But right after Nations League there were excuses like Gregg has spent more time with guys like Yueill and Acosta, and they know their responsibilities better. Or that it's not surprising Gregg went with Lletget, a guy who has scored goals for the national team. Or more vague results-based stuff like "Gregg just opted for other attributes in central midfield for these Nations League games. And we won, so the proof is in the pudding."
    But beyond the usual knee-jerk "calm down you unwashed masses, < appeal to authority >" type justifications for almost every decision, some were critical at the time...
    Oh well at least just a few months later people could all at least agree that Musah is "old enough"?? Maybe he went to that planet from Interstellar...

la torre and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    bumped from June 8, 2021 a time when some were speculating (based on absolutely zero evidence) that Musah was reconsidering his commitment to los estados unidas

The Clientele and xbhaskarx repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people were on the "MMA midfield" really early on, long before it had the name... this comment was from March 18, 2021:

RossD, Jazzy Altidore and laxcoach repped this.
  10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I believe it was obvious to everyone right from the outset. I said he'd likely be a key player for us this cycle right after his debut, and that the MMA midfield would dominate Mexico.

Maximum Optimal and The Clientele repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I might have coined that nickname but it is pretty obvious so who knows? I do know that I was for Musah just for fun at first to make the nickname a thing. Not that I didn't see his potential but he was so young and CM is tough for the super young.

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    PTSD. Most of us suffer from it a little, yours truly not excepted.

Bajoro repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea. I just resorted to good old-fashioned bribery with my son. When he was 9, I told him we'd get ice cream after every game where he scored with his left (weaker) foot. I spent quite a bit of money during that season, as the ice cream was premium stuff! He REALLY tried to get cute when he scored a hat trick of goals with his left foot one game and asked me if that meant he got three shakes instead of one . . . :D

15. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats how you end up with a round little two footer like luna :cool:

16. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome, it's the fun stuff like that, that really makes the game fun for families. My Dad coached us in baseball and every time we hit a double or triple we got bubble gum. So man we churned those bases like crazy. Got thrown out a lot but he was teaching us and we didn't know it, just thought we were making him buy us candy.

The Clientele and RefIADad repped this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I'm sick of him being awesome for the USMNT and then being OK for his club team. Get your S together and start impacting games.

I mean, Neco Williams is 19. He's had a great start.

18. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rather that than vice versa.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I took a different approach. I hit them with a switch whenever they used their dominant foot. That also worked.

I keed i keed

But seriously, the two of my kids who played competitive soccer could all serve in a competent cross with their non-dominant foot by age 10. It just takes a little attention and encouragement from a coach or parent.

Btw I detect signs of life in Musah's left foot. But I wonder why it took so long for him to get trained up.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'll be honest, the first thing I thought was that this was justification for Gregg insisting on playing Musah as a CM when soooo many were saying that he should be on the wing. I guess everyone has their drum to bang.

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure who you're referring to, I certainly always considered Musah a CM... even when Valencia were playing him as a winger I thought it was understood that wasn't his position long term... and then you have the fact that the USMNT already has like ten wingers, while guys like Lletget were starting at CM.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FTGOTC repped this.
  24. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    He definitely has my permission to try to hit one from distance whenever space opens up. Kid’s got a laser beam on his right foot.

25. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Yikes. That was a worldie.

dams repped this.