Musah

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Mar 15, 2021.

1. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is my last post off topic:

~2m people is definitely a large enough sample size, and I’m sure life expectancy difference is well outside any margin of error.

I don’t know how else we would compare safety of minorities in various countries other than to look at the numbers. Im not making a values argument, just pointing out that a minority in the US is far less safe than a minority in Europe statistically speaking. Frankly I’m shocked that people would think otherwise.

The homicide rate difference is appalling. 50 per MILLION in the UK vs 20 per hundred thousand in the US for black people.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1214177/homicide-rates-in-england-and-wales-by-ethnicity/

https://vpc.org/studies/blackhomicide19.pdf

nobody repped this.
  2. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love and agree with the spirit here.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    not that it matters but I'm not a Democrat, I'm independent.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet every country on earth puts stuff like that in poor neighborhoods. It's a money / class thing. Like Slumdog Millionaire. Now let's lift everyone out of being poor into the middle class and beyond! And shoot waste to poor planets. :eek:

Namdynamo and theboogeyman repped this.
  5. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm not trying to disagree with you but again, look at the context. There's no guns in Europe so of course the numbers are way skewed. More white guys die here then in England too. And yeah we have a massive gun problem here, but maybe that should be addressed in McKennie's thread. :)

theboogeyman repped this.
  6. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a question regarding Musah… what are everyone’s thoughts about Musah’s playing time at the World Cup. I predict he plays every minute of our first three games. I don’t think he’s going to come off the field…

What are everyone’s general thoughts on his playing time for the first three games?

7. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    He's grown a lot in confidence in the past year. You can see it in his play with both club and country. Greggg has a lot of confidence in him and basically has started him at every opportunity except for a couple 3-match windows where he got rotated out for one match.

I think he starts every match he is healthy in the WC.

I'd say his worst matches have been when he has been overly deferential to McKennie and Adams. And that changed quite a bit this past window. I think McKennie not being 100% allowed Musah to emerge. This points to the possibility that MMA could be even more dominant and dynamic going forward when all three are 100%.

Namdynamo, The Clientele and RossD repped this.
  8. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yeah, I see Musah starting all 3 games. May not play all 270 minutes, but I see him starting.

The Clientele repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And I'm left leaning independent too. At least used to be left leaning.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He'll play in every game. He's start at least two of three.

The Clientele and Yowza repped this.
  11. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, follow-up question… based on what we’ve seen from Gregg, which game might he sit?

Obviously lots of variables, but I’m curious on how Musah’s usage may relate to Gregg’s potential strategy against each of our opponents.

12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every minute of all 3 games? There's just no way. 5 subs are allowed. If qualifying is any indication, we're playing a 4-3-3, and maybe that's the only formation we ever play. Adams and McKennie might play every minute. You've got Reyna, Aaronson, Musah, DLT, and possibly Sargent. Reyna and Aaronson can also play as wingers. Think of the permutations. There's too much talent to go around. I wouldn't be surprised to see Musah in all 3 games, but there's no way he's going 90 x 3.

We're going to need at least 4 points to go through. That's W-L-D minimum. I see him as an attacking threat, but not so much a defensive player. There will be times when we want to be more defensive, and I'm not sure he'll be playing.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Musah starts all three group stage games unless the US wins the first two, but I don't think he gets 270 minutes, LDLT will definitely get some off the bench, let's say roughly 20-50 across those three games depending on how things go.

14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering this article was adapted from a piece of writing titled "Eurotrash: Why America Must Reject the Failed Ideas of a Dying Continent", I'm inclined to think the writer may have an agenda, here.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope everyone's watching what Varas is doing for U20/Olympic qualifying. He's using the whole roster, rotating everyone and they seem fresher than opponents. Ran Honduras off the pitch in Honduras. So it's not just about making it out of the first round but doing damage in the next rounds.

16. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    If Musah and Wes start all three with a traditional 9, I think that would be a mistake because either Reyna or Weah sit too much. To me, sitting either reduces our chances of success.

17. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys bring up good points. My Musah fixation might be a little myopic. It’s true. LDLT will get some of those minutes as a sub.

I know it won’t happen, but playing Reyna at forward would allow us to have MMA midfield and Pulisic and Weah on the wings…

FTGOTC and dspence2311 repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What stuck out for me was holding Honduras to 58% pass completion.

Take a look at what Uruguay did to that McKennie/Weah/Yedlin side and you'll see why it isn't a good idea. The penetration on that side was painful. Scroll down to passing network and click on "AWAY" for Uruguay's passing network.
    USAvsURU 06-05-2022 Stats | MLSsoccer.com

You can be sure teams will be looking at that and salivating.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'm not sure that he will any of the three. I say that just because of the likelihood of the need to rotate in a hot and humid tournament, and my suspicion that Reyna might be a better midfield fit than winger fit. Musah will definitely start against England if he's fit. He'll most likely start against Wales, too. He might sit against Iran.

20. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing. There is a high likelihood that Musah starts against England and Wales. We will need his physicality against those sides.

It’s way too early to tell, because we don’t know where we will stand on points now, but I have a feeling Gregg could sit Musah against Iran and go with an unfamiliar look against Iran in an attempt to unbalance then.

Marko72 repped this.
  21. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much does it have to do with Yedlin being on the field? Would that gap still be there if Dest were on the field instead?

I like Yedlin, but we become very limited when he’s on the field. His passing leaves a great deal to be desired.

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, and the way he played Reyna in the midfield the last time he played gives me enough reason to suspect that that's the switch he might have in mind.

I don't say that with a ton of confidence, because guys like De La Torre have gotten a lot more play in that position, but... it's an idea. Unbalancing Iran will be important. That and matching up well in the back.

23. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not familiar with the article. The spirit I endorse is one of inclusion and finding common ground.

As it relates to soccer, I’d still love to have a world class talent surface from my humble neck of the woods… the valley towns of central California. I’d love to see some more Clint Dempsey stories in these future generations. Makes rooting for the team all that more enjoyable.

24. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m a fan or LDLT. Love his movement and ability to connect the ball to teammates quickly and efficiently. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that he plays like an Italian?!

That said, Reyna just appears to have another level of talent. In a World Cup, even with his injuries, assuming he’s able to come back healthy and with games under his belt before the World Cup, I’d still roll with Reyna for minutes over LDLT.

Given that we are discussing Musah, has he spent much time on the field with Reyna? Anyone have a sense of that?

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, Dest likes to get forward and isn't a pressing animal or team defense kinda guy. He is a good 1v1 defender when he has his assignment. It will be interesting to see how Berhalter fixes things in September. There are so many ways to go with this team.