Muppets?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by midwestsurfer, Aug 19, 2006.

1. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Watching FSC for the first time today (finally got digital), and I noticed a strange banner.

"Muppet Power Activate 8"

What in the world is that supposed to mean?

2. cisco39

cisco39 Member

May 27, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Duncan Oughton wears #8 I'm guessing ....

3. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 is Oughton and "Muppets" have been on numerous banners but if I remember right it refers to "Beaker", the muppet that somewhat resembles Duncan Oughton, so Dante Washington used the name to refer to him.

(???)

4. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Freddie was also referred to as one for resembling a muppet. Which may have spawned "Muppets love the Dirty Sanchez" or something like that.

5. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Someone from the clubhouse started some muppet banners last year. They went everywhere and had a new message for each game, including a few "spicy" ones. I think I first saw them this year during the mid-week loss.

I'm guessing that the message indicates that the Muppet Power forced the activation of #8 - Duncan Oughton - for the rest of the season.

6. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it originated a couple years ago, in the free kick it asked duncan, "what he would be doing if he wasn't playing soccer", and his reply was, "probably working for the muppets...."

7. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    Muppet is a derisive term of affection that was quite popular with Duncan, Dunseth, Tucker, and some others a few years ago. It kind of took on a life of its own.

The Muppet banners were/are not made by anyone in the clubhouse. Just people who are familiar with the Muppet Squad.

(And while Dante usually referred to Duncan as Beaker, I don't think that really had anything to do with the Muppet Squad. Dante claims he didn't even know Beaker was a Muppets character, and if I recall, Duncs was the one who started referring to people as muppets, not the other way around.)

8. Joedogsweetman

Aug 18, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Why would any fan make a sign saying that about players from their own team? Dont get me wrong, its really funny but it still seems like something that would or should be used to make fun of another team. By the way, I saw that last season and got a good laugh out of it.

9. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was something accredited to me since I get called a muppet on this forum.

10. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    It's always fun to see what they come up with. They haven't been around as much this year as the past few though.
    The people sitting behind the banner took a picture of me as I was walking around the field. A picture of a photographer, that's kinda like art or something isn't it?

11. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that particular sign was intended for Adu.