Mulrooney article: Enduring a Cursed Season

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by rt57, Jul 5, 2005.

1. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Can anyone cut/paste the Mulrooney article?

He is my favorite player on the team, but I don't want to subscribe to the commercial appeal.

BTW, I am originally from Memphis and we always were a hot bed for youth soccer. The roots of this were directly related to the influence of the NASL era - Memphis Rouges, then MISL Memphis Riverboat Gamblers / Steamers?
    It introduced soccer to alot of people and sowed the seeds for growth of home grown quality players.

Although MLS struggles along, we will see the fruits of this labor multiply 10 fold down the road.

2. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Mulrooney's great attitude would really gain favor for the team amongst the general population thru media interviews---so, his injury's a bummer again from that lost PR angle.

much relieved to hear from ihearttheburn there that he's in a good space mentally

(in a universe that made sense to me, these nostalgic (nascar irl) motor sports [oxymoron] would appear on "discovery channel" after "robot wars"--- and due to
    their obsolescence ---get 1/50 of "robot wars" viewer numbers. or either the History Channel "Oddities of the 20th century"

for instance. it would be child's play for Toyota's
    hybrid engineers to whup nascar on their stooge-brain oval tracks---then---beyond hybrids--- advances in electric motors and batteries will soon make almost-silent, all-electric cars
    http://www.acpropulsion.com/

(also google "electric drag racers") that are faster than the Saudi-enrichers. Then morons will realize they've been in love with a roar. hopefully it's the roar they've been drawn to and not death. get a nice home theater system and listen to race tapes there,
    stop asterisking up, OK? I'd be ever so appreciative.

(notify Segroves)

and we'd all be born with Anterior Cruciate Ligaments of kevlar!)

3. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    www.bugmenot.com
    The first Id it suggested worked.

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says no one watches soccer.

But MLS is going up, IRL is coming down. They do half the numbers they used to.

as you know it's all about the buisnes model. the IRL/CART plit has ruined open wheel. Be careful who you go to bed with wen $$ is involved.

5. doctor_j

doctor_j New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    reppin' ETex
    That's also if you believe that the Nielsen system, with its "sampling" of only 5,000 homes for national ratings, is truly reflective of America's viewing habits.

I'd like to see them go to something similar to Soundscan in the music industry (and that had a drastic effect on the "real" figures), but I suspect they like the fuzzy numbers and ambiguous nature of the Nielsens for statistic-fudging purposes...much like the electoral college, heh.

6. Pasta and Samba

Pasta and Samba New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    MLS has actually been flat over the last four to five years. It has seen slight gains in the kids demographic, but has seen declines in adults. At the same time, a flat line nowadays is actually not the worst thing in the world, with ratings declining all the way around in most everything else. But for MLS to go to the next level (revenue-wise), it needs to get its ratings higher than where they stand today (in hopes of getting a rights deal).

So people, watch the game on TV when you can!

7. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Being as the last 4-5 FCD games haven't been on TV, including two matches involving the then second placed teams in the West, the "when you can" seems to be the issue. When this team started performing well, or even when we were able to sign Ruiz, the decision should have been made to increase the television coverage. Its a damn shame that the Galaxy and San Jose games weren't on TV.

8. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MEMO TO FCD FO:

Please, please, please - add some of the home games to the televised list. It's a crying shame that out-of-town FCD fans and MLS fans are not getting to see the beauty that is FCD, PHP and the fans of Dallas.

Thank you!

9. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seemed to me IRL is finally making making a very slight comeback, after falling way way down, though I admit I rarely watch racing.
    Aren't a few of the CART personnel coming back to IRL, or am I making stuff up?
    I used to catch a race now and again before the split, but I completely agree that killed open-wheel here for a long time.

10. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danic is helping.

Yes. And last year they almost didn't have enought teams to run. CART is on it's death legs, but it is still hanging in as it was just sold to a new owner. The main IRL guy tried to buy it but CART didn't want to seel to him. IIRC they sold ot someone else for less money to not "loose" the war and get sold to IRL. That would have ended it.

11. silver shadow

silver shadow New Member

Mar 18, 2003
    Carey Talley, Richard Mulrooney, Ross Paule, Jonny Walker and Tony Kuhn (Chicago & New England) all played on the same MFC club team.

12. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Does IRL run road courses yet? That's the thing that I still liked about CART over IRL. When IRL didnt run any road courses through it's season it was like only having to drive on half of the tracks it should have.

13. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting back on topic, RIchard says he is one week away from starting to jog.

and back off topic, Yes I believe IRL added 2 road races this year.

14. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    That was a pretty good team to say the least, did they win any thing big like State Cup, Regionals or Nationals? On a simular note, does anyone know who had the most future MLS players on the same club team?

15. tankta

tankta New Member

Aug 10, 1999
    State...yes, regionals....I believe so, nationals....I don't think they ever did....

16. Fougs

Fougs Member

May 26, 2004
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That sounds just about right- he's about 6 weeks from surgery now? Good to see it's going well, no infection a la Armas 2002.

17. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet you that he will come back strong - he seems like that kind of work effort kind of guy.

18. Fougs

Fougs Member

May 26, 2004
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you there. In most cases, the ACL recovery is about dedication and persistence. With a good doctor doing the latest graft technique, a player like Richard (or Kreis or Josh Wolff, or let's hope Conor Casey) can definitely come back.

I tore mine about 3 years ago in a game and did the whole thing. It is amazing what you go through psychologically- the surgery and the first week are ridiculously humbling...if they did the patellar graft, the shock to that tendon shuts down the nerves that let your quad pull your lower leg up. You can't stand on it, walk on it, because they drilled holes in your bones and cut a big strip out of your patellar tendon. I would have been thrilled to walk without crutches again at that point- I was cursing soccer and saying I'd never play again.

By the end of the first month, though, if you're doing the rehab, the little muscles start remembering how to balance and walk, and eventually run. You get back to a fairly functional state by about 8 weeks, at which point it is very tempting to quit the rehab. At that point you are just rebuilding muscle mass- it atrophies so fast.

If you work hard through 5-6 months and get the weak leg up to 85% strength, you get cleared to play sports. What nobody realizes is that the rehab process goes on for another full year. My wife got me a cake a year after the surgery when I finished my rehab, and I've been playing soccer at the same level I was before the tear for about 3 years now. Sure, I just had to have the same knee scoped (a la Jolley or Oscar in 2003), but that had nothing to do with the ACL, and so far the recovery has been a relative breeze.

The point of my rambling is that with all the good doctors and trainers FCD has access to, plus the competitive drive of a guy like Murooney (he could still make the World Cup team if he recovers well), I bet he will come out fine.