Mueller versus Villa for MVP. Am i missing anyone else? [R for potentially any WC game]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by vhatever, Jun 30, 2010.

1. allwhitesguy

allwhitesguy New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    My MVP would go to Wesley Sneijder. The stronger the opposition the better he seems to play.

2. AllStarz

AllStarz Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He does't get the credit that he deserves. By far the best and most effective midfielder of the tournament and probably also of the best midfielders of last season.

3. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    True but like I said, no one delivers in all the games all the time bar exceptions like Rivelinho or Maradona.

Muller cam through where it mattered; The KO stage, which was the same stage when Paolo Rossi showed up at the 1970 WC.

4. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    As for performance and importance to their team, I would say Forlan. I can imagine the other 3 semifinalists making it this far without Villa, Shneider, or random German. Forlan is almost like Maradonna 86 in his importance to his team. And he has played VERY well.

5. Antti_Jalkapallo

Antti_Jalkapallo New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Müller is palying a terrific tournament (best young player) but if you want to pick a german pick Schweinsteiger and no one else of this team... ;)

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Difference is Spain, Uruguay and Holland all have one player that stands above the others. Germany on the other hand have multiple performers all worthy of a mention here. That's why I think in the end it will be Villa, Sneijder or even Forlan if Uruguay manage the upset.

7. Param

Param New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Villa will win it, since Spain will win the world cup.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Germany wins, it's hard to call. It's a team effort for Germany. It could be Mueller or Schweinsteiger, even Klose -depending who steps up in the last two games- but right now I'd give it to their leader and captain, Philipp Lahm.

The others are easy. Unless somebody really steps up in the last couple of games, if Spain wins, it's Villa. If Holland wins it's Sneijder. and if Uruguay wins, it has to be Suarez. Some people won't like it, but Suarez is their MVP. I think Forlan would agree.

9. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Previous golden ball winners:

06 Zidane, France 2nd place
    02 Kahn, Germany 2nd place
    98 Ronaldo, Brazil 2nd place
    94 Romario, Brazil 1st place
    90 Schillaci, Italy 3rd place
    86 Maradona, Argentina 1st place
    82 Rossi, Italy 1st place

You'll notice that more often than not the golden ball winner wasn't from the champions. It wouldn't surprise me if Villa or Schneider got the award even if Germany wins the trophy. So far there isn't an obvious winner this time, in my opinion, such as has often been the case.

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's because the decision is made before the final.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Then again, maybe it's Forlan.

12. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Suarez will never be MVP, even if it was only awarded after the final, Uruguay became World Champion and Suarez scored 5 goals in the final...after his deliberate handball, he can't win this.

13. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Sneijder takes the lead in my opinion.

14. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Shame because players like Schweinsteiger and MvB will be overlooked for their lack of goals. I think both of them had better individual performances than Sneijder or Villa.

15. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA

Not mine. That deflection was entirely an own goal, and his recent goal in the Uruguay match was offside.

He's only got legit 3 goals.

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    My top 3 choices:

1. Schweinsteiger
    2. Forlan
    3. Sneijder

in that order.

FIFA's top 3:

1. Sneijder
    2. Villa
    3. Klose

In that order.

17. teccomin

teccomin Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Forlan is probably out of contention.
    Holland: Sneijder
    Germany: Schweinsteiger (They gonna give Muller the best young player award for sure)
    Spain: Villa

And I am expecting the player from the finalists to receive the golden ball. The least likely among them would be Sneijder.

18. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    I think Sneijder will win partly because of his success with Inter.

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

With 5 goals, he will be a serious candidate, especailly Holland is in the Final. If Villa scores another and reaches the Final, he will be ahead of Sneijder. It will be difficult to come up[ with a candidate for Germany. They do not usually pick unsung hero liked Schweinsteiger. Muller or Ozil seemed more likely than Klose, but if Klose scores two goals tonight, then, he will get the award.

Spain probably wins the fair play award since they only has a handful of cards. Then, Muller or Ozil will get the young player award.

20. ussoccer0829

ussoccer0829 Red Card

Jun 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I assume MvB is Mark Van Bommel. Sure if the award was dirtiest players then hands down he would win. Thats just about the only award he could win.

21. frazavfb

frazavfb New Member

May 16, 2007
    New Zealand
    Philipp Lahm has played brilliantly. It's only because he's a defender that people aren't raving about him. Not only does he defend brilliantly, but he contributes more to attack than a lot of midfielders.
    Villa has been alright, but I think he's a far cry away from being player of the tournament (so far). He's had a lot of chances.

22. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you put your emotions aside, he has had a wonderful tournament. Arguably their most important player.

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He and Sneijder have the goals but if you were to consider their individual performances they're nothing extraordinary.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, it's a shame that guys who don't score much always get overlooked, because Fabio Cannavaro should have been the MVP in 2006.

25. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Bastian for me

and Muller for young player

Forlan top 3