MTV to Mock Vatican with Cartoon Series

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by MiamiAce, Apr 13, 2006.

1. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1966688,00.html

Interesting. What do you think of this? Is this another implicit attempt to mock those who search absolute truth through God's love and Truth?

Let's be honest, imagine what Muslim countries would do if MTV decided to broadcast a cartoon called "Imam-town" or "Muhammedtown"... actually let's not imagine. But in reality, it's much easier for the MTVs of the world to mock Christianity and the Catholic Church because it's much less dangerous. Note too it's the Christian civilizations that defend the freedom of speech. Ah, the irony.

2. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Good that they defend the freedom of speech. 'Cause defending the freedom of speech means sometimes having to listen to that which repulses you.

There's stuff on TV that repulses me. The 700 Club is in that category. But I have this great feature on my television that alllows me to change channels without even having to leave my couch. If your television doesn't have one of those, you might consider an upgrade.

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Park does it all of the time

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I loved how "mocking the Vatican" got conflated with "mocking those who search absolute truth through God's love and Truth," as if the Vatican had exclusivity on that subject.

Why should the Vatican be off-limits to mockery?

5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    A glimmer of hope for the first thing to not completely suck coming out of MTV in years.

6. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a) It's airing in Germany. So besides Dieter's monkey, who cares?

b) It's a cartoon. Has the whole world gone Danish?

c) How is this ...

[​IMG]

..not funny?

You know the old axiom: Absolute Truth is Hilarious, Absolutely.

On top of that you got the funny hat, and the bouncing and the shmendriks and the shlemiels....it's gonna make a fortune!

7. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heritage USA ran it a mighty close second before going belly up...

8. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I think the Holy Roller and the Pente-coaster were the two best rides in religious theme park history.

I look forward to their Second Coming.

Although their snack bar was pretty weak. Their "wine" was suspiciously like tap water, their family size fish sandwich did NOT feed the multitude, and frankly I found punching three holes in a Kraft Single and calling it the Cheeses on the Cross to be in VERY poor taste.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Speaking of mocking men of God, have you guys seen the 'tootin' Tilton video? Tilton is a TV preacher from Texas who makes funny expresions when he preaches, and somebody added some farts to match his expressions, it is hilarious.

I would post a link here, but I don't know if it's appropiate. I'd hate to get carded over a farting preacher.

10. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    Great to see that terrorism, chopping off heads and attacking civilians is working for our enemy.

11. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    I didn't know Martin Luther was doing anything of the sort. 'Cause this is a thread about mocking the Vatican, right?

12. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    And besides, if you're going to make silly comments about "our enemy", "terrists" and the like, it's required to make at least one allusion to 9/11/01. Points off for poor form :rolleyes:

13. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess we can no wsay that unlike Islam, the Vatican does not have a "violence veto".

14. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    MTV stands for Moron Television.

Is that idiot Kurt Loder still yapping away on MTV?

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll be in Germany for the WC. Hope they're still airing it then!

16. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you talking about the farting preacher from ebaumsworld.com? It's not really that bad unless you take offense from simple things like that (which I know quite a few people I have shown that too that do..). It's pretty amusing though.

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The Catholic Church has been mocked to death, why doesn't MTV show some sack and find some new ground? You know, like the Aryan Brotherhood or MS-13. Plenty of yucks to be had....

18. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Not to mention that they are broadcasting it in Germany, where the Catholic Church and religion in general doesn't have much influence.

The pogo stick is kind of funny, but most things that make fun of the Church are too tied up in anti-Catholic rhetoric to be really funny.

PS - I forgot it's a German production, so there's no hope anyway, might as well run with the vatican cartoon.

19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    What better reason is there? :D

20. shinyyy

shinyyy New Member

May 24, 2006
    Hamburg
    Not a very accurate statement. Germans are as a whole not as religious as citizens of other countries, but the Catholic Church has plenty of influence there, especially in the South.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Isn't mocking the Vatican not only beating a dead horse, but beating a dead horse that's already been beaten into a bloody, smelly pulp.

If they had any balls, there's dozens of other asshole interest groups that need some mocking.