Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard's biggest weakness was his refusal to come off his line. He would always rely on his reflexes to save a shot instead of charging out to win the ball. Contrast with a GK like Ederson who is elite at coming off his line.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't actually have a "very poor" hex imo. It wasn't great but it wasn't very poor.

Game 1 assist vs Mexico 1-2
    Game 2 vs CR 0-4 everybody sucked
    Game 3 assist in 6-0 vs Honduras
    Game 4 1-1 Vs Panama
    Game 5 assist 2-0 T and T
    Game 6 11 minutes in 1-1 draw with Mexico
    Game 7 watched this one recently, Jozy had three key passes into the box, should have had a couple of assists 0-2 Costa Rica
    Game 8 Suspended
    Game 9 2 goals in a 4-0 vs Panama that was considered the key to qualification before the game.
    Game 10 meh in the last game, the defense was the main problem in that one

Goal or assist in 4/8 games he started. Hard to say that is very poor. If they had beat T&T as they would 9/10 times the Hex would have been properly remembered as meh.

3. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy won't start in 2022. He is injury prone and I don't know if it's a combination of injury struggles or personal fitness but I think he looks overweight.

That being said, he's the starter right now. Sargent isn't quite there yet.

Wood hasn't played in awhile and I've heard he's had knee issues. Same player?

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game 1 BW did all the work on the goal. Jozy generated no other chances.

Game 2 he was terrible and a major reason we could not generate any attack.

Game 3 Pulisic did all the work on the goal.

Game 7 he blew multiple finishing chances.

Game 9 he scored a PK won by Bobby Wood and a tap in set up by Pulisic. Not much responsibility r either goal.

5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game 1 BW did all the work on the goal. Jozy generated no other chances.

Game 2 he was terrible and a major reason we could not generate any attack.

Game 3 Pulisic did all the work on the goal.

Game 4 he was invisible.

Game 7 he blew multiple easy finishing chances. Biggest reason we lost that game.

Game 9 he scored a PK won by Bobby Wood and a tap in set up by Pulisic. Not much responsibility on the goal.

Game 10--he was terrible. Defense main problem? The two goals were freak goals. We needed our attack to step up. You never blame Jozy for his bad games.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  6. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Love this...you absolutely have to be a friend or family member of Jozy, right?

He scored 1 goal from open play in 9 games (which was a tap-in set up by CP) in a Hex where we didn't qualify. Take out Panama/Honduras at home, and we scored 7 goals in 8 games. With Jozy playing most of the minutes.

Your breakdown is just the definition of putting lipstick on a pig. His Hex was very poor, and there's just no real way around that, try as you might.

Jozy has had a nice career, especially the first half of it. If he can get healthy, he's a decent backup and spot starter at this point.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    jozy was a good player and he's real good in mls now but they're right. he came up short in the Hex. I'm not even sure he'd have performed well had we qualified for Russia. he's missing 1 international performance to rest his career on.

8. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are doing the opposite, looking to make meh into terrible. As I said, it wasn't great but you are taking the stats and twisting them while ignoring context. People don't score a lot of goals in the Hex. Only 7 players scored more than 2 goals out of the 8 teams. Vela and Chicharito also scored 2 goals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Fifth_Round

tomásbernal repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Even Wood got 3 goals and he was having a rough period at Hannover.

10. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We gave up two goals to a MLS backup and lost 2-0 and a striker was the biggest problem?! Does Jozy owe you money or something?

You are childish. I won't be responding to anymore of this nonsense.

11. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood did well to get the three goals. Only 3 players score more than him in the Hex. There were 76 goals scored in 30 matches, Only 7 guys out of the 8 teams scored more than 2 goals.

12. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://app.americansocceranalysis.com/mls/#

Goals added by ASA 2019 MlS. Jozy is the 3rd highest American after Hollingshead and Shea Salinas(!) and a top 5 Striker.

The man is a good player by every measure except bitter internet weirdo.

TheEmptyBucket and tomásbernal repped this.
  13. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    How am i doing anything? I have given nothing but facts. We didn't qualify. Outside of 2 ridiculous blowouts, we scored 7 goals in 8 games. Jozy scored 2 goals in 1 game. One goal was a penalty. One goal was a tap-in. Neither was the game winner.

You take things so personally. Nobody here agrees with you. Just take the L. Nobody here is a bitter internet weirdo. People just demand more from our starting striker.

If it's just you, by yourself, arguing against numerous other people who are all in alignment, who would you say is the internet weirdo?

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    by every measure? Lol. Except the measure of playing in the EPL, Spain, Turkey, and this last Hex.

I’m more convinced you are associated with Jozy every day. Why does me not liking his game make me a weirdo? Seems like you take this very personally.

15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy did an interview with Grant Wahl from 7/13/2020

He still wants to play with the USMNT, says he had not talked to Greg.
    Says he is fully healthy.

16. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Yeah and also I think a major criticism has always been his reliance on quickness and reaction while he was sometimes weak on positioning.

17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Konut, nobody, Paul Berry and 3 others repped this.
  18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Altidore is looking to become a part-owner of RSL - is that something you can do as an active player?

1299015556323061760 is not a valid tweet id

19. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    That productivity chart shows how well Pulisic is performing as well. He's ahead of Donovan at the same stage of career. I think if Pulisic played the kind of minutes Donovan did for the US, he'd likely break Donovan's scoring record. But, I doubt he'll be bale to put in the amount of minutes due to club commitments. Interesting.

Jozy is an all-time best striker for us, but that's largely because we've not really produced much as strikers go. I mean, he only trails Donovan and Dempsey, but Donovan and Dempsey were mostly attacking out of midfield. You would really expect a striker to come out on top of a chart like that and I think it is at least as much of a reflection of our poor striker pool as it is how good Donovan and Dempsey were that one doesn't.

Zinkoff and schrutebuck repped this.
  20. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think any MLS rule is set in stone.

sXeWesley repped this.
  21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how many of Donovan and Dempsey 's goals were scored out of midfield. Landon started as a striker and Clint finished there but it's true that the USMNT hasn't had a long time bell-cow striker other than Jozy.

It's hard to be good enough and healthy enough to get the minutes to be at the top of the scoring charts.

LouisianaViking07/09 and nobody repped this.
  22. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if the team is allocated to him on the new team reentry draft, or if he uses special GTAM dollars to purchase an exclusive territory that includes RSL, Or if it helps an LA club, or if Garber feels like it that day.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he could become part-owner. He just needs to find a friendly billionaire. What is Ellis Short doing these days?

24. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States