Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brawny Smurf was the strongest smurf.

DHC1 repped this.
  2. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve never called you a hater or a troll. There’s only one or two that deserve the label.

“You want it to be one way, but it's the other way." As Marlo Stanfield would say.

He's going to be pushed out when the time comes. I hope he is playing well but pushed to the bench by Sargent or other. The best for banter would be if Ebobisse or Jesus does it

3. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    So biased it's actually funny =/= hater...

Ok. Gonna need some sort of reading rainbow quote to square this circle...

4. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Perhaps, but imo, Howard has always been somewhat inconsistent and, at times, likely to let in the occasional soft goal.

5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being biased in your analysis and wrong imo are different from the trolls and haters who claim he's not good at soccer or whatever.

I don’t even engage with the people who I think are trolling.

6. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably selective memory on my part but I don't remember any special work from Howard after the World Cup.

Navas made a couple of good stops, particularly the one off the deflected shot from CP. I'd like to see the xg from the game. It's probably 2 to .75 for the US.

7. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting new stat that of course likes ol Jozy. The video likes him, the players like him, the guys with the $$ like him, the analytics nerds like him...he might be useful.

8. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be noted that Olivier Giroud didn't score a single goal in the WC and started every match for France. At striker.

Marko72 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...And if we had won the 2018 World Cup, instead of failing to even qualify, then I think we'd view key players on the NT differently.

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    T&T defenders like him as well.

11. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i miss jozy partnered with Bobby Wood or Charlie Davies. Those 2 understood him.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pulisic and RW running off of Jozy will be fun. Jozy is an attacking hub.

TFC mismanaged his prep by having him go from Fl. to Canada, isolate for 2 weeks and then fly back to Florida.They should have had him check into the bubble early. I wonder would San Jose have let him work out with them?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    RW?

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    So much of USMNT seems to be done as some abstracted honorific. Right now we even sub like Next Man Up (in the coach's mind) and not like we're pursuing a result which the Add is seen as making more likely in some considered way. Net result, Roldan has like 15 caps doing basically nothing and never changing anything off the bench.

In terms of the Jozy assist, it would speak to something we haven't seemed to do in years. "Tactical subbing."

US down 0-2 72' in to ES away during the hex. Jozy gets put in as a sub against a small team for headers. We start crossing the ball in. He gets one header goal and is in the neighborhood of the other. Final whistle 2-2, point earned.

You link setup tactics to specific sub(s) who have certain attributes that mesh to create chances. These tactics may not match snob wishes, but sometimes you want a result.

We haven't had anyone playing this role off the bench in years. All your players need not be similar xeroxes of each other. Nothing says you can't have your best players starting but then subs picked for raw speed, finishing, or height. We seem to have instead shifted to "we're not going to change how we play to get a result" and putting the next guy the coach likes on. As a result we can be 1-0 down and the roster is set up where we have backs and mids to sub, and he'll put on Roldan and Lovitz, and we won't get close to the equalizer, and the subs will make no impact. The subs lack purpose other than to remove tired starters. We keep attacking however we have been, as though the issue is freshness and not tactics. This is like definitional stubbornness.

Instead, how about the old model. Sub on someone who can hit a cross and then someone tall to head balls. Or someone who can hit a throughball and then someone fast. Like you're actually thinking about how the goals might be gotten with your subs.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I also feel like at some point circa late Klinsi we lost the plot on how to set up a 23 man roster with a variety of tactical options you might need any given night. One of my disappointments looking at the 23 man in TnT That Night was how thin or old the attacking roster was. He played his Dempsey card off the bench and got one goal but it turned out we needed two.

This was his bench that night:
    Cameron/Beasley/Guzan/Rimando/McCarty/Ream/Zusi/Acosta/Bedoya/Benny/Wondo/Dempsey

3 real attacking options, Benny being overrated and old, and Wondo scattershot. Perhaps 1 real option then. What was his plan if we went down? Or were Plans A, B, and C all grind out 0-0??

I like to think about these 23 -mans like a coach. Like okay what do I have to work with in terms of a result. Like what attributes does this bench offer me. Too often lately it's milquetoast lunchpail hustlers. You maybe need 2-3 guys off the bench as reliable 90 guys in waiting but we need more bench people picked like they are there to create a specific result-altering mismatch in a game not quite going how we hope. To me our sub bench is often anti-tactical, merely professional, overrated, or at best picked to execute a bland stalemate at the score they entered.

I was concerned about TnT the minute I saw the 23 man and scared once we gave up a goal, because I was like, how are we planning on getting our own. I already think our starting midfields are put together too much to defend (and they often can't do it), giving the onus to the other guy, and not enough where we attack and set the tone, and their threats have to spend some time of their own chasing. But the subs are often bland "8" mush picked to hustle as well.

This is not to say we can't defend as a tactic, but then pick people who can actually do it, and pick attackers based on their ability to finish what chances we create. Trying to defend and then set up Zardes to miss most of his chances is setting oneself up for misery.

Bringing this back to Jozy, he serves a specific tactical purpose. Is there anyone else who does the heading job better? You then need to have some wingers who can hit an accurate cross as opposed to him trying to get on the end of Roldan shanks. Dest, Robinson, someone who can put a ball where they mean to. This is not how you play for 90, as each player has his age or his limits right now. But in a game where you need a goal........

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Last point, to be blunt, my experience in club and college was the teams who thought they "played the right way" and stubbornly stuck with those tactics were mediocre. They typically traded pride for results. I played on the teams that usually beat them. We would view stubbornness as a lack of sophistication. That's not working today, try something else. We would also view stubbornness as a lack of fire in the belly to get results. Like you'd rather have ephemeral non-tangible pride instead of a concrete result. I took pride in breaking down other teams' tactics. You're bunkering back, I can't pass the ball through, I can't get to the corner and cross effectively, let's try long and early.

I find snobs who can't make such adjustments second rate. I find one-note team tactics shallow. One team wins trophies. In my experience the trophy winners produce more pros than the "play the right way" teams.

We need to get back into what tactics maximize this roster and win most games, and away from trying to convince Eurosnobs how fashionable we are. I seriously doubt we are imitating the world cup winning type teams if we think we can play a naive 433 and never tactically adjust and never have negative gameplans designed to absorb for periods, or attacking units designed to get goals some way other than build forward from the keeper.

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Bobby Wood is hard done by. If you look at the NTs he has scored on, he should probably start. Holland Germany Mexico x2 Honduras Panama Colombia Ireland Paraguay. And regardless what the snobs think "because club form," those last 3 were this cycle. Club form is overrated for NT producers.

By comparison Zardes scores on teams like Trinidad or Canada. You know, teams that might or might not even make the hex. Then we wonder why we can't score on Mexico. Well, you left off the guy who has scored on Mexico, twice, to start "club form." I don't get why this was obvious for Wondo or Twellman but is off limits for Zardes. There are people who lead leagues in scoring but might get a hat trick on Cuba and that's it. This used to be NT Coaching 101 until the club snobs got their teeth into the Fed. You start the people who score in the shirt.

Wood needs to make smarter career choices, but to me he is the younger temporary solution to "Jozy vs Zardes." ie, neither. Or one or the other as a sub behind some mix of Pulisic, Wood, and/or Sargent as CF.

To me if you get someone in there who can hold a ball and get some real striker goals, then the quick attacking types can run off him. As it stands we have a mix of good and poor wings hitting crosses to the donkey Zardes, which is a recipe for frustration.

To me the team is better set up for success when there is more of an option to deliver ball to feet in the box, where everything is not low percentage get to the flag and loft it in. Most drilled defenses will send you a gift basket for just going to the flag all day, particularly if your 9 can't finish. I just explained where it's a good bench option to send a guy in for headers. It's a bang-your-head-against-wall-bloody 90 minute tactical approach, particularly without a target guy in.

19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think of Jozy as a heading expert but as an all-around target man. TFC had not been playing with a #9 before his sub. Jozy changes the way defenders think. He goes between dropping in to pick up the ball and playing in runners to lurking on the CB's back shoulder.

He is always dangerous as a sub. He can probably be a 20 minute menace for years to come on the USMNT.

right winger. I don't know if it will be Morris or Reyna or whomever.

20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent layoff from Jozy. That's a difficult header to make--off a very long ball, able to gently lay it perfectly into his player's path without much bounce.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    based on gold cup last year as well as MLS lately i don't think jozy is a 90 minute guy

but he doesn't have to be, to be useful for a 23 man roster as a sub

my point is not whether he in some generalized sense is pretty good -- in fact i am arguing against such gestalt conceptions -- my point is what specific qualities do players offer off the bench

if you want to say, well, he has a few useful bench qualities, where he could be part of a unit brought in to hunt late goals, fine. i think jozy would be a useful target sub. he might also work as a wing. i think he is underrated running at people, and that gets rid of some of his back to goal brick-feet problems from time to time.

if your argument is he should be used because "good all around player," "don't limit this to heading," that's precisely the mentality i think needs to be reduced. i think we need more of a tactical, simplified approach to bench use. setup play, crossing, speed, heading, finishing, players who offer specific matchup issues when we need separation, creation, and a goal. i want to see us putting on people who can create goals because "one thing" as opposed to subbing on the next highest number from the coach's mental FIFA game.

where are the "Preki" type supersubs who go on and things just happen

but then part of the US' problem right now is you don't win minutes based on game performance enough -- you win them based on rep or because you play for some name brand club team, but not because you follow through on that when i sub you into a game down 1-0 to mexico with 30 left

i want people on my bench who when i put them into that situation, maybe the result changes. that doesn't happen from "gestalt" or "hustle guy." that happens because someone can cross, has afterburners, puts the ball in the corner every time, scores headers, some special quality they can't fight to a stalemate.

22. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i generally agree with you about the idea of tactic changing sub. I am saying that what he brings is injecting a target #9 that you can play to and through, be it to his head or feet That means holdup, passing and runs. TFC didn't have one on the field before he came in.

I like the idea of putting Jozy into a WCQ when we need a goal, you can do that along with a fast winger or a second striker to combine and run in behind etc. He is a monster when he knows that he doesn't have to save energy.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why was he so poor on the Hex last time around? And why would we expect him to be better 4 years older?

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    because his spot is up for grabs.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, you are the biggest Jozy defender on the board. He had a very poor hex. Now he's four years older. I don't see why he'd have a central role on the team again. Perhaps depth for injuries, but not a key contributor.