Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Regista. False nine. People throw out position suggestions, but put little thought into how the team would set up or who could play the position or how it would all fit together. Gregg seems to be in that category.

butters59 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By getting overrun in midfield while trying to play out of the back. GG pulled Jozy early despite him being one of the only dangerous players on the night.

3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy is wearing the armband with Bradley out indefinitely.

He drew a PK in a 2-2 draw that was 2-1 TFC when he was subbed at the 79th.minute.

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because Jozy has no stamina.

5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are a Jozy hater. His stamina was .enough to play full matches for TFC I'll trust Vanney over Berhalter.

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he's sufficient to jog around in the second half against MLS teams. But that isn't effective at a higher level, which is why Jozy's scoring record is so poor outside of MLS and playing CONCACAF (MLS level) minnows

adam tash repped this.
  7. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Not true, he scored for fun against Ajax for example
    2) We need to score goals against CONCACAF in order to qualify
    3) I'm not going to reply to your circular arguments. This thread has videos of him scoring big goals late in games and making sprints in AET.
    4) You are evidence proof.

Marko72 repped this.
  8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) the past is the past...whens the last time he did something important against a good team??
    2) true. no one said usmnt doesnt. but they need much more than that...soemthing jozy hasnt shown in a LONG time that he is able to do.
    3) again...he mightve been able to do that at one point. but now and the future is what matters.

the question isnt what was he ever able to do? it is what can he do now and in the future. 2 DIFFERENT topics.

the USMNT needs strikers who cn harass defenses and run constantly for 90 minutes....jozy might be able to do that currently im not saying he cannot or that it is imposible for him to do....but i havent seen much lately,.....and he needs to lose some mass up top imo to be better with stamina.

fwiw i would still start jozy as my #1 starter for usmnt....but he´s not the prototype of what the team needs from his position imo...not bc he cannot be ...but bc he isnt at present and doesnt seem motivated to be what the team needs.

9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He scored against the Seattle Sounders in the last MLS Cup. Seattle is definitely better than most qualifying opponents.

Before that,he scored against three Mexican teams in the CCL KO rounds, including in the final. The goals are all in the thread.

I don’t know if the ability to press for 90 is more important than passing/holdup/scoring but Vanney sure seems to be able to get value from Jozy.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    With Toronto, Altidore plays with creative players in a system that caters to his style of ball-to-feet, quick combo play.

In the 2018 CCL, Altidore played with Giovinco, Osorio, and Delgado, a group that was strong in the quick, creative combination play that Altidore excels at.

With the US, coaches have typically asked Jozy to play a big, ball-to-space, attack aerials, back-to-goal center forward. He has never excelled in such a role.

It's notable Feilhaber, Donovan, and Dempsey were on the field when Altidore scored that goal against Spain. Bob valued creativity far more than Arena and JK did.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Nova needs a call-up

12. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy scores buckets of goals as a combination, ball on the deck Dutch type forward.

I thought we should have lined up like TFC last cycle.

Giovinco SS/ free = Pulisic

Barcelona graduate Victor Vasquez as AM = Lee/Bennie

Osorio= Bedoya/Corona/Wes
    Delgado= Delgado/Roldan
    Bradley= Bradley/Dax

Vanney would be a good USMNT manager,he seems to be able to adapt to his available talent.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The team certainly needed more creativity last cycle. And that added creativity would've benefited Jozy.

Would start Jordan Morris at striker, right now.

14. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morris definitely looks like he should be on the field. I don’t know if he has the full striker game.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Thought the 2019 season was Vanney's best coaching job. The completion of Bradley's decline. No Giovinco. No Vazquez. Altidore frequently injured. Robin Fraser had peaced out to Colorado, during the season.

TheNearPost and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    liga mx and mls don't count. im talking national team.

17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn’t been on the field much against good teams lately for the USMNT.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The truth is that we don't have many options.

Morris: Yes
    Sargent: Yes, but really isn't doing much on one of the worst teams in the Bundesliga.

After that its question mark after question mark. Due to injury, poor form, inexperience, and just a thin pool.

Our top three forwards at the U23 Olympic camp are probably Ebobisse, Toye, and Ferreira. Yes, I still sorta cling to hope with those guys. But I question their quality right now in games for the USMNT that matter. Weah is hurt AGAIN. We had hope for Soto after debuting for Hannover, but he seems to have fallen off the face of the planet Earth.

So I think many of us aren't to the point of kicking Jozy to the curb. If he shows in MLS that he's healthy, fit, and still one of the best domestic strikers...............then we can all be dissuaded.

As far as I know we still need to field a forward.

LouisianaViking07/09 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I forget Novakovich in this assessment. 100% I'm bringing him back in for another look.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    club soccer is important and matters obivously but I think you rate it too high in your assessments.

prior usmnt play means A LOT, imo....

but also even those that aren't necessarily in good club standing might be good for the usmnt....I don't think great club form needs to be the gatekeeper to play for usmnt.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many goals does he have against Ajax?

adam tash repped this.
  22. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check post 1858. He scored 5 times against them in all competitions his last year in NL.

23. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if I told you that the all time qualifying goal scorer for the USMNT was healthy and available and barely 30?

TheNearPost repped this.
  24. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think at this point Jozy is reliable enough that when a situatuon arises where hes tactically a viable option, he's not just there to fill a roll or do a job. He can be genuinely quality and dangerous, if not consistent. He doesn't always have to start, either.

Our forward pools strength is in its diversity. Sargent is a good poacher option, and Morris presents a speedier option who is actually smart on and off the ball. This may be a hot take as well but Zardes is always held to the standards of a forward, and can play there if need be, but i think hes better as a winger forward where his work rate and engine can be used to track back, before bursting up the field past advancing fullbacks with his searing speed. Im no Gyasi stan, i just think hes misused internationally, a lot.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    As long as we're relying on 2013 form, should we finally cap Mike Magee?