Mr. Gardner suggests we're not playing real soccer.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by seahawkdad, Oct 27, 2004.

1. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a New York Sun article about disruption as a tactic, Gardner uses two examples: the recent ManU v. Arsenal and DC United v MetroScum matches.

Some excerpts (reading the whole article helps put these in context).

"...A glaring display of this apparently praiseworthy disruptiveness had been seen just one day earlier, right here in Giants Stadium, in Saturday’s playoff game between the MetroStars and DC United.This rivalry, while hardly at the fever pitch of the ManU-Arsenal clashes, does have quite an edge to it...

Novak has an explanation for DC’s turnaround: “During the season I told my team that winning is about running and fighting, not just soccer. That is why we have been winning, and lately we have been able to play soccer, too...

Novak’s claim that DC United has “been able to play soccer” lately is already debatable...."

Since I think that we're playing some of our best soccer in years, I wonder if Gardner was watching the game...and if he was, whether he's ever going to see past his mindset about the sport as played here and in Northern Europe.

I think, however, his lament about what Saturday's game may devolve into may be accurate.

2. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    "During the season I told my team that winning is about running and fighting, not just soccer."

And that's why he's the king.

3. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Interestingly enough, Paul "The Pedophile" Gardner had the same sort of sentiment for the 1998 Fire.

4. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    True. The paper on which Gardner's words appear are not worthy for my dog to poop on.

5. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    I'd call Gardner a horse's ass, except I really don't want to have to look over my shoulder for the rest of my life in case a horse was gunning for me.

It's like reading Tom Boswell. After a certain point, you realize the man's simply not worth the breath wasted to comment on him.

6. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Physical, PHYSICAL!?!
    What does he think this is, Baseball, the NBA!?!
    Of course it's physical this is soccer!

Half of the American sports landscape calls soccer a game for women and children and this yahoo thinks it's too physical.

Nice use of the Guevera pic. It's called diving, Paul. If you want to see that rewarded, I would suggest looking a little further south.

He may have something with that Rooney kid, though.
    That kid is missing a chromasome. From the looks of things, it might be the chromasome that keeps people from becoming serial killers.

7. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    only good thing about that article was seeing Juve is riding top of Italian league hehe

8. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SO basically, whining, and bitching like a 4 year old passes for Soccer Journalism these days? The difference between the Man Utd-Arsenal and DC-Metro's matches is this.
    A.) Mike Riley is one of Rooney's "Women of the Evening"
    B.) MLS referees often cannot tell the difference between "simulation" and true fouls.

That article sounded like a pompous teenager, whining about not being valedictorian, or losing out on Class President. If the matches were about who gets fouled the most. Nowak could always start Adu and watch the cards get piled up.

9. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Gardner is a lame-a$$ moron. Watch the game idiot.

The pic is hilarious. Foul was on Guevara and then the diving fool tried to get the call. A picture is worth a thousands words - or at least to refute a thousand words of drivel.

Why do the Metros have less fouls?
    1. The metros don't play aggressive defense. They play 3 attacking (perhaps 4) minded mid-fielders. Every ball is challenged by DCU. 1st rule in defense - close on the ball.

2. The Scum are forming the MLS diving team.

10. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Soccer, like all sports, is about winning. It's about winning within the rules. We're not cheating. We're not bribing the refs! If he gave up whining, he could see the beautiful soccer we play when we get a hold of the ball AFTER dispossessing the other team.

Tell Berti Vogts and the '74 German National team about harassing tactics and they'll laugh Gardner out of the room while they polish their World Cup.

11. tanekaberi

tanekaberi New Member

May 29, 2004
    Takoma Park MD
    "Its a mans game not a chess game"

Correct me if I'm wrong on the quote but....

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    You could remove the word "Soccer" from "Soccer Journalism" and you still would be largely correct.

Sachin

13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    asshat

14. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, its the NJ coach who is a cheater, if ever there was one in MLS.

15. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HEY! You stole my post!
    :D

Then again, hes not even worth being called that when you think about it. :eek:

16. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Maybe Mr. Gardner needs to attend this weekend's Barra tailgate. We can show him the great view we have of Lake Barra. :D

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    As far as Paul Gardner is concerned, the only soccer worth watching is the kind where both teams show class and skill, with incredible feats of dribbling, passing, golazzos scored from 35 yards out or from corner kicks or by a striker going through 4 defenders a la Maradona v England circa 1986 (the OTHER goal, not the "Hand of God"), and where players don't waste time, dive, foul or cheat in any way.

In other words, Gardner wants to see a game of soccer that hasn't existed since the days of playing with 2 defenders, 4 midfielders, 4 forwards and a leather ball. He's a dinosaur.

He has also hated MLS since its inception. Pay no attention to him whatsoever.

18. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    [Artie Lange]
    Paul Gardner doesn't like MLS.
    WAAHWAAHWAHHHHHHHH

[/Artie Lange]

Please delete this thread.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You just helped me put a finger on what bugs me about Gardner: he seems to want to just watch the highlight reels, and not the actual game.

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    The bouncy side can sing "you're not playing real soccer over there!" to the Metros on Saturday.

21. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

BINGO!
    You beat me to it. :D

22. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    If DCU isn't playing real soccer, then what the hell are Metro playing?

23. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    [​IMG]

24. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    what an idiot then we have this quote...

"DC’s novice coach, Peter Novak, did not start the season well. His team looked incoherent and he carried the burden of figuring out how to handle teenage phenom Freddy Adu, whether to use him as a starter or as a sub or whether to play him at all."

Does Gardner not remember how DC's midfield play dominated teams in the first few games of the season?? Sure we didn't get all the results but everyone was commenting on how well the midfield was playing together. Sounds like he has some personal issues with Novak.

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Well, Nowak is a European, and not a South American. Therefore, in Gardner's eyes his soccer knowledge and skill are inferior to someone like, oh, Maradona.

Gardner is an idiot.