Mr Death as an avatar?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by obie, Aug 26, 2002.

1. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would normally be a pm but it could be an interesting debate.

Footix: Why? The guy's goofy-looking, sure, but he's also a Holocaust denier, which to me is a bit too much.

Meanwhile, I was disappointed in the movie -- he was just too damn creepy to watch for a full 90 minutes, especially when the neo-Nazis appeared.

2. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Ha! Good one!

I think you're joking, anyway...

The avatar comes from a webpage of insurance salesmen in Iowa...this guy happened to be the one of the more interesting looking dudes. He's temporary, since I felt obligated to take down the Mooney Suzuki cover which 2 people mistook for a Japanese soda label (go figure...).

Google image search rules!

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I wasn't kidding! Here's "Mr. Death", Fred Leuchter, Jr.:

[​IMG]

Now you tell me that your Iowa insurance salesman and Mr. Death are not startlingly similar.

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at it again, I'm sure that you've got Mr. Death there. Positive. Maybe Fred's selling insurance now?

5. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Holy moly!

I'm gonna try to find my guy's page again...I know I thumbed through about 300 photos to find that one. They look like the same guy, for sure!

6. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Couldn't find the page quickly, but read up on your guy, Obie...what a creep. I duly changed the avatar pronto.

I've never heard of that flick...must have made quite an impression on you if you recognized him (or his doppleganger) as you did.

7. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical Errol Morris film -- you laugh at it, but then feel kinda guilty for laughing. After the first 45 minutes you think that the movie is going to be about one thing (a very, very strange man who made a decent living as the only guy in America who could fix states' execution equipment) but really it's about another (a strange, ugly, arrogant self-taught "scientist" who "proved" that the Holocaust never happened by stealing chunks of walls from Auschwitz and has since made a living off of Nazis buying his books).

It's probably Morris' best story but Fred's just too awful of a person in every way imaginable for the film to be enjoyable, even when he gets his comeuppance. I was hoping that he'd kill himself and save us the knowledge that he's still out there.

Yes, Fred does leave an impression on the viewer. It's not a good one.