mp3 editor question

Discussion in 'Technology' started by zman31, Jul 14, 2005.

1. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone suggest a piece of inexpensive (or free download) software for editing mp3 files? I've got some large 3 and 4 hour 128k mp3 files that I want to break up into 15-30 minute blocks for better archiving and listening on mp3 CD in my car and on my iPod.

2. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    mp3Trim is extremely small and easy to use and does what you need. I'm not sure if you need the pro edition for big files or not.
    more info

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    If you have Nero, you can use the Wave Editor, it's pretty simple.

4. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave this a try but it won't handle a file size as big as I'm talking about. Even the paid for home edition can only work with sizes up to about 50megs and I'm talking about 180meg files.

I tried another piece of software from the PC world site last night that had a 15 day trial version of their full software package I can't remember the name of it but it was clunky and difficult to use.

It's a fairly simple opperation that I want to perform. I have a 3 hour radio show that I want to cut a few CD skips and DJ talk from and divide into 15-30 minute sets between station ID breaks.

Thanks for the input though, any other comments would be appreciated.

5. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    Another tool you can try, mp3DirectCut. I have it installed but never put it to the test.

6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Fleetwood. I haven't tried it yet but reading the reviews at the link you provided it seems like this is just what I need. I'll give it a go and post a comment with the results.

7. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. cdpconrad2119

cdpconrad2119 Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Maryland
    I just downloaded some songs and they are in MPEG layer 4, how do i change them to MPEG 3

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Easiest way is to convert to mp3 on iTunes.

10. cdpconrad2119

cdpconrad2119 Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Maryland
    I tried, its protected. Is there a way to un-protect it.

11. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mp3directcut is the perfect piece of software for the needs I descibed above. Thanks Fleetwood, repped.

I was able to import the full large file and easily edit it in to manageable pieces for easier playback on my iPod and car cd/mp3 disc player.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. This has been a great resource.

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Is the file extension .m4p? If so, that's a file purchased from iTunes music store and you need the id and password of whoever downloaded it first. I'm sure there's a hack to get around it but I'm not going to be of any help.