Moving to Columbus

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by negativetouch, Oct 31, 2003.

1. negativetouch

negativetouch Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hey y'all,
    The family and I are moving north in the next 4-6 weeks. Where are the best places for info on Columbus, especially the whole where to live with a good school system that won't cost me a kidney type of stuff?

2. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    You can google for Columbus, Ohio and get a good idea of things around here. For specifics, post your questions here and someone will answer. Or you can go a few pages down and find a thread that someone from the Carolinas started who's also moving here.

School systems to consider: Dublin, Upper Arlington, Bexley, Grandview, Olentangy, Worthington, Westerville, Hilliard, Gahanna, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg. That would be my order of preference. Traffic is a mess coming in from the east which is why I placed a few of those at the end of the list. The first four are probably the most expensive ones but you get what you pay for.

3. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    And when you get done with your move, send the moving van to Fulmer's house. :D

4. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This topic is already very well covered in a thread entitled "Sell me on Columbus," which I have just bumped for your reading convenience.

5. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I'm kind of a little surprised we haven't had any trolls swing by and lend their opinions on this. It seems that every other thread around here has some putz from DC or Shitcago more than happy to throw up their 2 cent opinions.

6. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up in Worthington and led the most idyllic childhood imaginable. Worthington schools are going through a budget crisis now, so Dublin might be a better bet. Upper Arlington is nice, but very expensive compared to other areas...

7. negativetouch

negativetouch Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thanks for the bump Pauncho. That's a good thread.

The wife is working in Dublin but doesn't want to live there. Upper Arlington, Grandview Heights, and Bexley are the frontrunners right now. Hopefully I'll be working at Ohio Dominican.

And Toon, Phat Phil can stay where he is. I kind of prefer his role as the pumpkin pinata for the frustrations and bitterness of the redneck nation right now.

8. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    UA and the east side of hilliard are no longer so bad to get to ODU now that I-670 is completed. It's a nice quick shot from Riverside Drive or grandview across town.

Hilliard has some very nice areas...only problem is the school levies they are trying to pass. Lots of bigger (2600-3400 sq ft) new homes being built as well if you're interested in that on the west end of town.

I would suggest looking at a neighboorhood that is Columbus city services and Hilliard or Dublin or Worthington or Olentangy schools. It'll save you at least $600-800 a year in taxes on a $200,000 home.

9. musterion

musterion New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Hilliard, OH USA
    scout out some of the townships

I have a Hilliard mailing address, but I actually live in Norwich township. This saves me on taxes.

Townships are funny in Ohio. They are more than just a measure of land, but a level of government that handles roads, fire, and sometime police.

In my case I contract my own garbage pickup, have a well for water and an aeration system for waste. I also live on 6/10's of an acre. I've never run the number to see if my service work out to be cheaper or not.

10. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Best thing about Ohio is the drive-through beer places.

11. Breakers_rule

Breakers_rule New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    In my house.
    so true, so true.

I love the drive thru beer places. Only places they have them here in North Carolina is Brew Thru out at the Beach.

And please, as an Ohio State fan, don't bring Phat Phil to Columbus, I kinda like Tressell

12. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much every school district here is in money problems due to unchecked growth.

13. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty much every outer-ring suburban school system is in money trouble due to rapid growth. Don't lump Bexley in with Pickerington. We have almost exactly the same number of students we had in 1960.

14. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    There are some areas on the north part of town that have Worthington schools and Columbus taxes. Actually, there are a number of places that have Columbus taxes and a school district better than Columbus's. That might be a consideration too. Just as long as you swear to us that you want Andrulis fired.