Mourinho sacked

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lazy Assed Assassin, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
  2. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Will make explaining his buyout easier to handle.

4. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes we all expected it, but the timing is a strange one. To have Ryan Mason in charge for a cup final... yikes. I guess Levy has written it off anyway.

Nobody will miss the style of play of this last half-season. The premise with Mourinho was that that was necessary, to win the things he always wins. Except he was winning nothing here, never looked remotely like it. Maybe for a few weeks early in the season after freescoring wins against Southampton and United, then a disciplined victory over City. That United game was the high tide, then allowing West Ham to come back for a draw spooked him and the conservative play came back.

Mourinho's reputation was at the very highest tier of coaches. His stints here and at United have tarnished that and I really don't know what is next for him. Some Saudi Arabian or Chinese job, perhaps, or the Portugal national team some time in the future. He's finished with top tier clubs, I would say.

For us, we've discussed on here before who might come next. My money is on a Redknapp to follow Mourinho's Ramos. Parker, Howe, Rodgers maybe if he can be lured away. Sigh.

soccernutter repped this.
  5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    There's a lot of shit to unpack, here, between the sacking and our participation in the cabal against worthwhile European football.

At this point, I'll be happy with playing some attacking football, though I fully expect to pay for it in results, as we're just not good at the back. I do fear we've pissed away whatever chances we had for winning the League Cup, which is a shame, as we could certainly use it.

Ryan Mason ... I don't know where to start. I certainly like him - loved him as a player - but ... I mean ... Ryan Mason? I'd actually feel miles better about it if it were Chris Powell (who is apparently Mason's assistant? No?), who has managerial experience, and is at least older than the players. I wouldn't really mind Powell as an interim gaffer, at all, though I fear - whomever it would be - the criticism will be harsh when the results don't come. And I suspect they won't, though the upside is that if we can at least begin playing as well as the sum of our parts, we'll be better than we were under Mourinho.

Lastly (for the moment) ... what must Kane be thinking? Not that this should necessarily factor heavily in what we do; but eff me, he must be shaking his head. Even if he wants out (which he must), you know he'd kill to win the League Cup with us on Sunday. Oh wait! He can stay at Spurs and compete at the highest levels, no matter how shit we are! We're in the Super-duper League! Trophies, schmophies. Who needs 'em?

Who would've thought that upon getting my wish - Mourinho out - I'd be slating Levy for it. The timing (and logistics ... Ryan Mason?) of this is just incredible. And the Super League ... don't even get me started. My contempt for Levy right now is back up amongst the 'Jol sacking' and 'Stratford Hotspur' levels.

BalanceUT repped this.
  6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Here in the Pacific Northwest, the sun is shining, the cherry blossoms are out and Jose Mourinho has been sacked. What a beautiful start to the week.

BalanceUT repped this.
  7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    There was a lot of buzz about Nagelsmann, but that appears a long shot now as Frick will leave Bayern at the end of the season for the Germany job, which means the path is cleared for Nagelsmann to get the Bayern job that he is said to have always coveted.

The easiest choice would be Benitez at this point, since he is a free agent. Rodgers would be a perfect fit with his approach, but it would take the GDP of a small nation to get him out of Leicester.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Interesting, the Guardian is reporting that Mourinho refused to take training in protest of the Super league announcement.

As much as I hate him and everything he stands for, the one thing you can't criticize him for is his respect of the game, at all levels.

BalanceUT repped this.
  9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That is interesting.

A face-saving way out for him, perhaps - if one wishes to be hyper-cynical.

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Guardian's story on the sacking now explicitly denies that he refused to take training, and it was purely based on team performance.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Too late. It's out there, and I'm sticking with it. Took a swing at Levy, too. And told him to kiss his arse.

I miss ol' Jose, me.

12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is click-bait-y, and that's entertainment!

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We're a joke.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    What a strange time - Mourinho being sacked is just a footnote compared to all this Super League stuff.

15. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

The only thing I will give Levy credit for is having the PR sense not to sack Ledley.

But everything else...

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sheffield United would argue otherwise.

Hell, even Arsenal would take issue.

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I really don't think they would.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    What a beautiful photo (Daniel Levy subtracted the boxes from his severance agreement):

[​IMG]

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Some interesting Jose-Facts:

• During Mourinho's time at Tottenham, only Man City (130), Liverpool (117) and Manchester United (116) picked up more Premier League points than Spurs (95) (I have to say, that one shocked me).
    • Only Brighton (31) and Southampton (30) dropped more points from winning positions in the Premier League during the period Mourinho was in charge at Tottenham (27).
    • Eleven of the 20 points dropped from winning positions this season have come from goals conceded in the final 10 minutes of matches.
    • Mourinho leaves Spurs with a record of 27 wins, 14 draws and 17 defeats from 58 Premier League games.
    • Of all managers to take charge of 10 or more matches for Tottenham in the Premier League, only Tim Sherwood (1.91), Mauricio Pochettino (1.89), Andre Villas-Boas (1.83) and Harry Redknapp (1.74) have averaged more points per game than Mourinho (1.64).

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, that says that Spurs expect more than just above average. I like that.

21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Time to start moving out some players, too.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kane.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Another one that shocked me - Danny Rose has asked permission to train with the first team now that You-Know-Who is gone - yes, that Danny Rose.

Speaking of players who need to be moved out...at least his contract runs out this summer. Rose was right in the end - he promised he would run down his contract and that is precisely what he did.

I thought we had already got rid of him, but in that case, just add him to my wish-list of outgoing trash:

Rose, Dier, Sissoko, Doherty, Aurier, Sanchez, Gedson and Winks.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only one on that list I would quibble with is Sissoko. Yeah, he lacks consistency, but on his day can make the difference in a way none of the others can. He also can play in just about any midfield position.

25. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indeed, both Jose and Poch saw the players down tools and contribute to their sackings. We talk endlessly about players who we feel aren't good enough in terms of talent, but attitude is critical as well.

You could say that's up to the manager to deal with, and they failed, but the players have their share of the blame.